What if the remote anchorage / harbour is full? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-25-2018 Thread Starter

What if the remote anchorage / harbour is full?

Planning our first trip to Desolation Sound from Vancouver on a Newport 30Mkii, with wife and two small kids. There aren't that many places to stop on the way up and we are going on a long weekend. I'm uneasy about the idea of sailing for 8 hours, being tired, and then finding that Lund is full. You can't reserve there and I don't see that you can anchor, and it's hours away from any other safe place, so by the time I get there I think it would be unsafe to leave without resting for the night.

Can someone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-25-2018
Master Mariner

Re: What if the remote anchorage / harbour is full?

Isn't there a cruising guide for that area? A cruising guide would have the best information for your needs.

https://www.cruisingclub.org/sites/d...20Epperson.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guid.../dp/0921061234

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 16 Old 07-25-2018

Many places to drop a hook in the islands .Copelands on the chart, Broken to the locals. .Used to anchor in Finn Bay but they put a water line right down the middle so thats out. Savory is a nice anchor but miles of sand bar when tide goes out. Long ways to go on a weekend or even a week. You just went by Secret Cove, Smugglers Cove, Hidden basin .Half Moon Bay Lasquite.,many little nooks and crannies and inlets with nobody in them. Herds of sheep in Desolation.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-25-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Many places to drop a hook in the islands .Copelands on the chart, Broken to the locals. .Used to anchor in Finn Bay but they put a water line right down the middle so thats out. Savory is a nice anchor but miles of sand bar when tide goes out. Long ways to go on a weekend or even a week. You just went by Secret Cove, Smugglers Cove, Hidden basin .Half Moon Bay Lasquite.,many little nooks and crannies and inlets with nobody in them. Herds of sheep in Desolation.
Uhuh... Our first night planned at Bucaneer Bay, near Secret Cove. Lasquite island not any closer to DS.

To clarify, we are heading up on a long weekend, hence my concern about the anchorages on the way being full. Coming back the next weekend.

The Dreamspeaker guidebook is on its way to us as we speak.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-25-2018
Rainwatcher

You can sail for an hour, drop the hook, spend the night safely and repeat that sequence for at least ten years up there without using the same anchorage.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-25-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
You can sail for an hour, drop the hook, spend the night safely and repeat that sequence for at least ten years up there without using the same anchorage.
Maybe you are seeing anchorages that I'm not seeing? The chart shows very little between Sechelt and Malaspina inlet, besides Lund and Sturt Bay.

I agree when it comes to DS itself, but this is about getting there. Which ones are you thinking of?
post #7 of 16 Old 07-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
Maybe you are seeing anchorages that I'm not seeing? The chart shows very little between Sechelt and Malaspina inlet, besides Lund and Sturt Bay.

I agree when it comes to DS itself, but this is about getting there. Which ones are you thinking of?

There are set anchorages with a ton of boats and there are a ton of little nooks that can fit a few boats. I was up there during BC day last year and did not have any trouble finding a spot.

If you are concerned maybe look at Powell River to see if they have a berth on your way to Lund. Then call Lund from there to see if they have a spot for you, maybe if they know you are coming and how important it is to you, they will reserve a place for you.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-25-2018

Your intentions are a bit hard to decipher. Capt. Len gave some suggestions. Smugglers Cove, Secret Cove, Pender Harbour, Musket Island in Blind Bay, Maude Cove at the end of Jervis Inlet, Powell River, and Lund are all possibilities. If you are as far as Lund, you might as well go a couple miles further to the Copeland Islands...it's a really nice B.C. Marine Park. The Westview Marina at Powell River is good but may be full on a long weekend...there is a private marina at Grief Point that costs more but will probably have space. If it was me, I would aim for Musket Island or the Copelands.
While anchorages can get more crowded at various times we have never had to pass one because it was 'full'.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-25-2018

Have a plan for a second anchorage if the chosen one is filled
up.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #10 of 16 Old 07-25-2018

I sometimes pass up an anchorage because there is already a boat in it. In 40 years there's not many places south of Skagway I haven't dropped a hook. Don't see a problem .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in