SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Plex server (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/325160-plex-server.html)

JimMcGee 08-17-2018 08:26 PM

Re: Plex server

OK, I'm not a lawyer but basically media servers like Plex are subject to "Fair Use" restrictions. Wikipedia Fair Use

Here's a simple example:
I have a Norah Jones CD that I like to listen to on the boat. I can download those songs onto my phone or onto Plex and listen to them on board and it's not copyright infringement. I bought the content and am entitled to use it -- but if I burn a copy and sell it to the guy in the next slip that's piracy.

I've also read articles that say you can have copies of your content exist in more than one place, but you can only use it in one place at a time. Amazon Prime Music is a good example of this. I can download a song, but I can still access in the cloud on Amazon's server.

I'm sure some on here could get into the nuances, but that's the broad strokes.

MacBlaze 08-17-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 2051546626)
OK, I'm not a lawyer but basically media servers like Plex are subject to "Fair Use" restrictions. Wikipedia Fair Use

Here's a simple example:
I have a Norah Jones CD that I like to listen to on the boat. I can download those songs onto my phone or onto Plex and listen to them on board and it's not copyright infringement. I bought the content and am entitled to use it -- but if I burn a copy and sell it to the guy in the next slip that's piracy.

I've also read articles that say you can have copies of your content exist in more than one place, but you can only use it in one place at a time. Amazon Prime Music is a good example of this. I can download a song, but I can still access in the cloud on Amazon's server.

I'm sure some on here could get into the nuances, but that's the broad strokes.

Oddly enough current US law says you can format shift music cds but you can't format shift movie dvds. Unless its changed again. So no, ripping movies is not considered fair use. So it's technically piracy and subject to those fines they are always threatening you with.

You will find you can't rip a dvd with digging up a codec somewhere that breaks the copy protection. Here in Canada (last time I looked) it is even dumber; it's legal to copy things but illegal to break the drm.

MacBlaze 08-17-2018 08:48 PM

Oh, and Plex supports plugins, so I am pretty sure you can use Netflix, Amazon Video etc using a Plex server

JimMcGee 08-17-2018 09:04 PM

When we sold our boat I was playing with the idea of installing Plex on board. I'd purchased a new Garmin plotter that was network enabled and a fusion stereo that could be controlled from the plotter at the helm via FusionLink.

For a media server I was looking to install a Western Digital 8TB MyCloud server connected directly to a WiFi router. With this setup no computer is required. The MyCloud runs the Plex server on the MyCloud's Android operating system. Plex comes installed from the factory.

I'd use a Roku USB stick to access Plex from the TV, or alternatively upgrade to a little bigger screen and a smart TV with Plex already installed.

To get music from the server to the Fusion stereo, download the Plex app onto your phone. Under settings in the App enter in the network address of the MyCloud server. This way the app looks for the server on the local WiFi network, and you don't need an outside Internet connection. You then stream the music from the app on your phone to the stereo via Bluetooth.

I have an old Samsung Galaxy 3 gathering dust in a drawer. The plan was to put it in a waterproof case at the helm and run it in Android Car Play mode - essentially making it a dedicated interface to the Plex server for music. The networked Garmin plotter would allow me to adjust any of the stereo's controls from the helm, or I could control them from the stereo itself when I was down below. If you have an old iPhone you could do the same thing with Apple CarPlay.

Downsides:
Speed: The MyCloud CPU is not all that powerful. You're OK streaming a video to a TV in the salon. But you're not going to have two parents and two kids all streaming different videos to their tablets at anchor. You'll be limited to pretty much one video at a time.

Internet connectivity: One of the nice things about Plex is I can stream music to my phone anywhere. With this setup you won't have a connection to the Internet, so you can only stream to devices on the boat and maybe when you're having sundowners with a friend one or two slips over.

JimMcGee 08-17-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlaze (Post 2051546628)
Oddly enough current US law says you can format shift music cds but you can't format shift movie dvds. Unless its changed again. So no, ripping movies is not considered fair use. So it's technically piracy and subject to those fines they are always threatening you with.

You will find you can't rip a dvd with digging up a codec somewhere that breaks the copy protection. Here in Canada (last time I looked) it is even dumber; it's legal to copy things but illegal to break the drm.

MacBlaze, there's been a LOT written on this subject. On the boat we're mostly interested in music. We have a good WiFi connection at the slip for streaming video.

JimMcGee 08-17-2018 09:28 PM

Getting Content on Your Plex Server

Music - music is easy. You can purchase and download songs and albums off Amazon or iTunes. You can copy your existing CD's onto your server using Windows Media Server or the Apple equivalent. You do have to pay attention to how you name your directories so Plex can find the music.

Network TV DVR - If you have a masthead antenna and good reception in your area Plex has built in DVR support. You'll need a digital tuner called an HDHomeRun. Now when you get to the boat on Friday the lastest episode of The Big Bang Theory will be waiting for you. If your marina has cable you can buy a cable card for the tuner and DVR cable channels on Plex.

Netflix & Amazon Prime Video - If you do have an Internet connection at your slip you can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime video via your Roku stick.

Network TV On Demand - If you're at a marina where you can connect to the Internet you can stream network TV on demand through Plex Plugins. You'll find plugins for all the network channels and PBS and popular cable channels like HGTV, Lifetime, TV Land, USA Network, etc. Coverage on these plugins varies from popular shows on that channel to all current and some past programming.

JimMcGee 08-17-2018 09:33 PM

The real downside is there is a steep learning curve with Plex. If you don't have a techy personality setting all this up can make you crazy. And copying everything onto the media server is time consuming. But over time you'll build up a nice music collection.

Pair Plex with Netflix and Amazon Prime video and you'll never miss cable.

Over the next couple of years 5G will turn all this on it's head as you'll have landline Internet speeds anywhere you have cell reception.

With that kind of speed and everything in the cloud you won't need to store music locally.

sailforlife 08-17-2018 11:27 PM

I say get a good radar with an alarm and just go to sleep it will wake you when is 2 miles out anyways ....

colemj 08-18-2018 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 2051546640)
Over the next couple of years 5G will turn all this on it's head as you'll have landline Internet speeds anywhere you have cell reception.

With that kind of speed and everything in the cloud you won't need to store music locally.

Oh my, we definitely don't boat in the same areas...

Mark

colemj 08-18-2018 02:48 AM

So it appears that it may be considered piracy if I buy a legitimate DVD or a digital file, and then convert it to a format in which I can view its content on a device, or by a delivery method that is more convenient for me.

If this is the case, then I give a big FU to the industry, and am proud to be a pirate.

Why even try to be on the right side of this law?

Mark