Plex server - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 Old 08-18-2018

Re: Plex server

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
So it appears that it may be considered piracy if I buy a legitimate DVD or a digital file, and then convert it to a format in which I can view its content on a device, or by a delivery method that is more convenient for me.

If this is the case, then I give a big FU to the industry, and am proud to be a pirate.

Why even try to be on the right side of this law?

Mark
Why even try indeed. It's becoming as big a farce as speed limits. Very few people pay any attention to the law at all.

And it gets worse. In some media (e.g. ebooks) you often aren't purchasing the media, just leasing it. For example, Amazon can yank your digital content against your will if you do something like buy too many products and then return them too often — causing your account to be suspended. Goodbye ebooks.

DRM and industry's abusive use of it is something we should all be up in arms about but most of us don't seem to care. I figure it will eventually start affecting us boaters as marine diesel engines catch up with tractor engines and we suddenly find we can't diagnose our engines without paying for the software, or even worse not being able to access it at all unless we are an authorized dealer.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 08-18-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Gee whiz, ya think?
When I single hand I use a kitchen timer and set it to 12 minutes, which is the time I figure it would take a vessel from a clear horizon viewed from the cabin top to a point at which the approaching vessel could become a danger. So far, it has worked fine for all but one military vessel.
I would no more "go to sleep" for an extended period of time at sea single handing, than I would rely on an electronic device like AIS to keep me alive, unless EVERY SINGLE vessel was equipped with it, and I could be sure that the device was on and functioning correctly on EVERY SINGLE vessel out there.
But like I said, different strokes for different folks, and after all, it is your life you are putting on the line!
You're missing my point.

I think that a person on a crewed boat who is on watch, with proximity alarms set who is *awake* and watching a little video in the cockpit in between making his visual checks is actually a slightly lesser evil or perhaps on par with a singlehander sleeping with a kitchen timer and proximity alarms. Both are distracted and both are relying on electronic aids to assist them in their watchstanding duties.

I'm not really understanding your angst here. Your original response implied that you strongly disagreed with a conscious, alert watchstander watching a video in the cockpit but yet you obviously feel it's ok to singlehand and sleep with a kitchen timer to wake you. Asleep is asleep and that is not condoned as an acceptable practice even though it's becoming more and more prevalent and more technological aids are becoming available to aid a solo sailor. The guy watching the video merely has to lift his chin to scan his instruments and the horizon as opposed to rousing himself to a functional state of wakefulness and re-orienting himself to his situation every 20 minutes.

Face it, neither of these situations are optimal and neither of them align with what authoritative texts and organizations would consider "best practice."

I don't really have an issue with extended singlehanding or some guy keeping awake by playing a video in the cockpit. It's your hypocrisy that I object to. What about music or audio books? Is that acceptable to you or do you consider them to be too distracting to good watchstanding practice?

"Watching a video while on watch? Ghastly!"
"Don't mind me, I'll be grabbing 20 winks."

I appreciate that you have extensive offshore experience but have a care when casting stones in glass houses.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #23 of 42 Old 08-18-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
So it appears that it may be considered piracy if I buy a legitimate DVD or a digital file, and then convert it to a format in which I can view its content on a device, or by a delivery method that is more convenient for me.

If this is the case, then I give a big FU to the industry, and am proud to be a pirate.

Why even try to be on the right side of this law?

Mark
The way I understand the law is that if you purchase the DVD or CD (I assume it is the same for Blu-ray) then you are allowed to make a "backup" for your own use. However, you may not distribute it in any fashion and this includes giving it away for free to anyone, including family members. You can distribute the purchased item in any way you please as long as you are not playing it publically or for profit without paying the royalties (BMI or ASCAP), say as background for a video or advertisement.
Pretty simple and not unreasonable, IMO.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 42 Old 08-18-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post

I'm not really understanding your angst here. Your original response implied that you strongly disagreed with a conscious, alert watchstander watching a video in the cockpit but yet you obviously feel it's ok to singlehand and sleep with a kitchen timer to wake you. .
A singlehander has little choice; he must get some sleep, sometime. However, cat napping (I generally do it in the daylight, in the cockpit, which I forgot to mention) is a far cry from "sleeping" for extended periods, relying on electronic aids for your safety. Also, a singlehander risks only his own life.
A crew member is a part of a team and is responsible for the safety of others. As a member of a crew, there is plenty of off time to do as one pleases and sleep, but on watch is exactly that. There should be no distractions and if one cannot do a 2 to 4 hour night watch without falling asleep, then sailing may not the thing for them. A watch is a job, just like any other job, it is not a time for videos or even music. Any distraction could result in catastrophe.
For example, a watchstander listening to music or a video with headphones on could miss the first strand of a shroud parting aloft or a sail's seam beginning to let go.
When the webbing that held my Yankee to the halyard failed, beating in 30 plus knot winds, it only made a little pop. Had I had headphones on I would not have heard it and the sail could have destroyed itself or fallen under the vessel as it came down, possibly fouling the rudder and/or prop. As it was, I heard the pop and immediate investigation allowed us to resolve the situation before any damage occurred.
I am as much mystified by your attitude to this as you are by mine. It is beyond my understanding how anyone could think that dividing a watchstander's attention between entertainment and his duty could ever be acceptable. It certainly isn't in the military or any commercial maritime service, and the stakes are exactly the same; lives are on the line.
CVAT likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by capta; 08-18-2018 at 02:16 PM.
post #25 of 42 Old 08-18-2018

Quote:
The way I understand the law is that if you purchase the DVD or CD (I assume it is the same for Blu-ray) then you are allowed to make a "backup" for your own use.
This in fact is not the case as the law stands now. the U.S. definition of Fair Use does not include personal use and fair use is the only right you have to copy. The DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) makes software circumventing any copy protection illegal and you can't rip a commercial dvd without it. Oddly enough it is still a grey area in the U.S. with the media companies maintaining it's illegal, Joe Citizen ignoring the laws as written and nobody seemingly willing to take it to court to clarify.

In Canada, as I said, they made it easier on us. It's legal to copy but not to break the ubiquitous copy protection.

Back to the OP, if you happen to have an all Apple ecosystem, you can already stream your media to all your devices from a central computer. And there are lots of other media servers besides Plex

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late
post #26 of 42 Old 08-18-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
A singlehander has little choice; he must get some sleep, sometime. However, cat napping (I generally do it in the daylight, in the cockpit, which I forgot to mention) is a far cry from "sleeping" for extended periods, relying on electronic aids for your safety. Also, a singlehander risks only his own life.
A crew member is a part of a team and is responsible for the safety of others. As a member of a crew, there is plenty of off time to do as one pleases and sleep, but on watch is exactly that. There should be no distractions and if one cannot do a 2 to 4 hour night watch without falling asleep, then sailing may not the thing for them. A watch is a job, just like any other job, it is not a time for videos or even music. Any distraction could result in catastrophe.
For example, a watchstander listening to music or a video with headphones on could miss the first strand of a shroud parting aloft or a sail's seam beginning to let go.
When the webbing that held my Yankee to the halyard failed, beating in 30 plus knot winds, it only made a little pop. Had I had headphones on I would not have heard it and the sail could have destroyed itself or fallen under the vessel as it came down, possibly fouling the rudder and/or prop. As it was, I heard the pop and immediate investigation allowed us to resolve the situation before any damage occurred.
I am as much mystified by your attitude to this as you are by mine. It is beyond my understanding how anyone could think that dividing a watchstander's attention between entertainment and his duty could ever be acceptable. It certainly isn't in the military or any commercial maritime service, and the stakes are exactly the same; lives are on the line.
The singlehander definitely has a choice- Don't sail in excess of his/her ability to maintain a constant, awake watch.

Hey man, lie to yourself however you like, but don't attempt to assert some sort of moral superiority over others when you're as guilty as everyone else who doesn't operate 100% in accordance with the rules.

Sleep is sleep, whether it's 20 minutes or 2 hours or 10 hours, day time or night time. It doesn't matter if you have AIS, RADAR or a trained chimpanzee. THERE IS NO WATCHSTANDER while you are sleeping. This is just as bad as the guy watching a video on a tablet.

A USCG officer wouldn't say "Oh, he was only sleeping for 20 minutes at a time when he struck that fishing boat that didn't show up on radar or AIS, it's ok."

Dude, I do not CARE if you singlehand or sleep, nor do I care how long you sleep. I also don't care about the OP who wants to burn a flick on watch. What I'm saying, is that your a flaming hypocrite that burns hotter than 3 suns. Your attempt to justify sleeping (for any length) as morally superior while crapping on someone who might have an earbud in while watching a flick is friggin' hilarious and there is nothing and I mean NOTHING you can say to me that will somehow explain that your sleep, however brief and technologically aided, is somehow morally superior or even safer than the tablet-watcher. You're both equally wrong and that's it. Period, full stop. Just accept that you're not perfect and let the OP be.

You are so deeply steeped in your own years of personal experience and good luck, that you refuse to even consider the possibility that you could somehow, possibly, ever be anything less than 100% correct. I mean really, how DARE anyone ever point out to you that you may have bent or broken the same rule that you're accusing someone else of breaking? The gall!

Your ability to BS yourself is so impressive that it's apparent to me that this conversation has run its course, so I'm exiting.

Ciao.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #27 of 42 Old 08-18-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
The singlehander definitely has a choice- Don't sail in excess of his/her ability to maintain a constant, awake watch.

Hey man, lie to yourself however you like, but don't attempt to assert some sort of moral superiority over others when you're as guilty as everyone else who doesn't operate 100% in accordance with the rules.

Sleep is sleep, whether it's 20 minutes or 2 hours or 10 hours, day time or night time. It doesn't matter if you have AIS, RADAR or a trained chimpanzee. THERE IS NO WATCHSTANDER while you are sleeping. This is just as bad as the guy watching a video on a tablet.

A USCG officer wouldn't say "Oh, he was only sleeping for 20 minutes at a time when he struck that fishing boat that didn't show up on radar or AIS, it's ok."

Dude, I do not CARE if you singlehand or sleep, nor do I care how long you sleep. I also don't care about the OP who wants to burn a flick on watch. What I'm saying, is that your a flaming hypocrite that burns hotter than 3 suns. Your attempt to justify sleeping (for any length) as morally superior while crapping on someone who might have an earbud in while watching a flick is friggin' hilarious and there is nothing and I mean NOTHING you can say to me that will somehow explain that your sleep, however brief and technologically aided, is somehow morally superior or even safer than the tablet-watcher. You're both equally wrong and that's it. Period, full stop. Just accept that you're not perfect and let the OP be.

You are so deeply steeped in your own years of personal experience and good luck, that you refuse to even consider the possibility that you could somehow, possibly, ever be anything less than 100% correct. I mean really, how DARE anyone ever point out to you that you may have bent or broken the same rule that you're accusing someone else of breaking? The gall!

Your ability to BS yourself is so impressive that it's apparent to me that this conversation has run its course, so I'm exiting.

Ciao.
Wow, way to just blast out your opinion.
I'm not the one who brought up singlehanding. I don't advocate it and insurance companies definitely frown on it. But, if you are sailing distances, sometimes one has to singlehand, and there is no choice. Should your sailing partner become incapacitated, would be one time, don't you think?
Why are you blowing out 20 minutes time after time when I specifically said 12 minutes, which is a calculated figure, not some run of the mill made up number? But of course, you wouldn't know that because you've never had to think about any of this in earnest. However, some of us have actually calculated how long it would take the average vessel plying the seas these days to become a danger to us at our average speed. Even more obviously, something like your fishing vessel would be much longer because it is either not moving or it is moving much more slowly than the average merchant vessel!
And where in any of my posts did you see me refer to electronic aids as being acceptable as an alternative to a good watch? I do not even have, nor do I intend to get AIS.
If you actually thought about it before you wrote about it, sleeping or napping in the daytime certainly makes a huge difference to how easily your vessel can be seen by other vessels. Duh!
Furthermore, you, as a lifer in the navy, should be the first on here to agree that standing watch and watching a video or listening to tunes is not acceptable, unless your service (and thank you for your service, by the way) was done in the galley, where watchstanding is not really a matter of life and death.
So throw stones as much as you wish, but your house is just as susceptible to shattering as mine. The difference, however, is that my house is built on a foundation of experience and logical calculations, not emotion.

Last edited by capta; 08-18-2018 at 05:25 PM.
post #28 of 42 Old 08-18-2018

Buy a Synology NAS box. Install the hard drives and connect it to your network (Ethernet or WiFi). No internet is required here, but it's nice to have. Enable Plex for video, iTunes server for audio. There are other cool toys as well. Copy your digital media to the NAS box. Make sure your media player is connected to the network. It's really, really simple. I have just been setting up a 12TB NAS for our new boat just for this purpose. iDevices will see the iTunes server; devices with a Plex client (Apple TV works) will see the Plex server. Enjoy your media.

I added some other stuff. For example, I added a web service and have mirrored Wikipedia on the NAS, so I can look stuff up when no internet is available. I've been considering mirroring other web sites, but I think most might prefer that I do not. Noonsite came to mind ...

Basically, the NAS will my boat cloud server. A good NAS will do a lot while consuming little power and taking up very little space.
MacBlaze likes this.
post #29 of 42 Old 08-19-2018

Quote:
Oh my, we definitely don't boat in the same areas...

Mark
LOL, definitely a different ballgame if you're out cruising.

We're coastal sailors, mostly day sailing and some overnights.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #30 of 42 Old 10-03-2018

We cut the cord last year so I've got a Plex setup at home with the Plex server software running on a dedicated laptop networked to a 3TB NAS device as well as an HD TV receiver. As was mentioned upthread, the NAS itself can run the Plex server but very poorly so don't be tempted. Many boats have a laptop for navigation and other purposes on board and it's not a problem to run Plex at the same time. Setting up Plex is remarkably easy given what it can do but that doesn't mean it's easy. Count on a day or two to figure it all out and maybe a redo once you figure out how you should've done it ;o) Almost any device (browser, phone, tablet, Roku stick, Fire stick, Xbox, smart TV) can run the Plex client and be used to view your media over your local network.

All my photos, music, and DVDs are ripped to the NAS but with a big enough hard drive in the laptop, it's not necessary to have a NAS. You can also use Plex to record TV off the air, play downloaded podcasts, etc. With their Plex Pass paid service (one time fee), you can also do things like have Plex automatically upload photos from your phone to your Plex storage area, sync media from your storage to your phone for watching/listening offline, or even access your online content over the cell network wherever you are.

All told, I'm pretty happy with it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in