SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Plex server (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/325160-plex-server.html)

snokid 08-17-2018 05:04 AM

Plex server

Hi one of the million YouTube sailing channels talked about a media server that ran plex. Looks like you need a nas box but that's as far as I can figure out.
Has anyone set something like that Up?

What I would like is to be able to be on watch and be able to stream a movie to my phone or tablet. Then on the hook me and my wife be able to watch a movie on the tv

loxxSail2 08-17-2018 12:03 PM

Re: Plex server

Plex is cool. I use it with my amazon firestick to stream from a pc in another room. I don't use a NAS box, I just use usb hd's.

Roughly sketching it out in my head, you'd at the very least need laptop with a good sized hard drive, then you could load plex on a firestick, jam it into the laptop and mirror it to the phone or tablet.

The biggest challenge would be getting a stable/fast enough wifi connection with enough bandwidth for it be a good experience for you.

capta 08-17-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snokid (Post 2051546410)
What I would like is to be able to be on watch and be able to stream a movie to my phone or tablet.

I'm sorry, did you actually mean that you want to watch movies and the like when you are on watch, or did I misunderstand you?
On any vessel I'm the captain of, the person on watch is responsible for the lives of all onboard, and as such, they are required to be on WATCH at the helm, not just in the cockpit or awake somewhere on the vessel.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Ajax_MD 08-17-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051546488)
I'm sorry, did you actually mean that you want to watch movies and the like when you are on watch, or did I misunderstand you?
On any vessel I'm the captain of, the person on watch is responsible for the lives of all onboard, and as such, they are required to be on WATCH at the helm, not just in the cockpit or awake somewhere on the vessel.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Did you know that some people sail alone, and actually go to sleep with no watchstander other than (sometimes) a radar and/or AIS proximity alarm?

colemj 08-17-2018 12:57 PM

There is another way besides a Plex server to stream video. Our WiFi router has a USB port. We keep a 2TB drive full of video connected to it and stream video over the wifi. There are several free apps for tablets/phones - we prefer the VLC app. Our wifi-enabled TV also uses it.

Mark

tschmidty 08-17-2018 02:29 PM

Plex works well but depends mostly on downloaded content, so you need a way to get that content on your device. Which generally means pirating it. You could definitely run it on a laptop and stream to your phone if you have either a wifi router or can set your laptop up to allow your phone to wifi to it.

Jammer Six 08-17-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax_MD (Post 2051546494)
Did you know that some people sail alone, and actually go to sleep with no watchstander other than (sometimes) a radar and/or AIS proximity alarm?

Some People drive drunk, commit suicide or buy a weapon and kill as many children as they can.

"Some People" just isn't an authority on anything.

colemj 08-17-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschmidty (Post 2051546530)
Plex works well but depends mostly on downloaded content, .

I don't understand this statement. Plex depends on digital content period. This has nothing to do with pirating that content.

Mark

capta 08-17-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax_MD (Post 2051546494)

Gee whiz, ya think?
When I single hand I use a kitchen timer and set it to 12 minutes, which is the time I figure it would take a vessel from a clear horizon viewed from the cabin top to a point at which the approaching vessel could become a danger. So far, it has worked fine for all but one military vessel.
I would no more "go to sleep" for an extended period of time at sea single handing, than I would rely on an electronic device like AIS to keep me alive, unless EVERY SINGLE vessel was equipped with it, and I could be sure that the device was on and functioning correctly on EVERY SINGLE vessel out there.
But like I said, different strokes for different folks, and after all, it is your life you are putting on the line!

tschmidty 08-17-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemj (Post 2051546586)
I don't understand this statement. Plex depends on digital content period. This has nothing to do with pirating that content.

Mark

What legal media content do you download and save to your hard drive? You can stream a lot of stuff, but even DVDs you own you can't legally save to your hard drive. That is the content Plex serves that can be done offline (it can do some other things, but not the question). You can't legally even download youtube videos (but of course it can be done).

There are two ways that I know of to legally watch content offline:
  • You can download some Netflix titles to your iPhone/iPhone/Android, but not your laptop. Probably your best bet for legal offline content, since you aren't paying for every show/movie. Just download their app and go from there.
  • You can download movies, etc. via iTunes but you can only play them through iTunes, so you can watch on your phone, iPad, laptop, etc. You *cannot* use an Android device. I *think* you can stream itunes from your laptop to a phone if on the same network so you wouldn't have to download it to your limited phone storage space (*maybe*). This can get pricey since you are paying for every show at $2 an episode and $10-$20 per movie

Neither of those has anything to do with Plex. If there are other good options out there, I'd love to hear about them since I think sailnet is a good audience for offline content.