Freedom or a Big Mistake? - SailNet Community
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter

Freedom or a Big Mistake?

How many of you have sold your home and all possessions to buy and live on a boat? Are you glad you did?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 09-19-2018

Re: Freedom or a Big Mistake?

A mistake is selling the home and possessions before knowing for certain you'll enjoy living on a boat.
Gladrags1, zeehag, mbianka and 1 others like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #3 of 64 Old 09-19-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
How many of you have sold your home and all possessions to buy and live on a boat? Are you glad you did?
Yes Ö this is what weíve done. Havenít had a land house for over three years now. Itís part of what has given us the freedom to live the life we currently have.

A house is a very expensive thing to have, both financial and emotionally. Not having one has certainly given us more freedom. But other people find more freedom in renting their house out. No one right answer.

But I agree with 4arch; donít do it till you have actually lived on your boat for quite some time. We spent over a decade doing extended (multiple months) cruising before saying goodbye to the house.
sailforlife likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 64 Old 09-19-2018

Sold my first house and most of my furniture in 2011 and moved onto my boat until 2015, then sold the boat and used the money to buy another house and a smaller boat. Kept a bunch of stuff I didnt sell in a 10x15 storage locker.

It was awesome. Lots of fun. I really enjoyed living on the boat. Now, I really enjoy living in a house in the country and sailing my little boat (s).

I lost very little money on the house boat house thing because I owned a boat that had already done most of its devaluating. I kept working, self employed/freelance while I lived on the boat, so I didnt really go too far, but I still really enjoyed it.
sailforlife likes this.
post #5 of 64 Old 09-19-2018

We are actually in the process of building a house (currently renting). Our reality is live on the boat for 8 m then on land for 4 with Xmas on land. We are of an age where we will need to swallow the anchor in the foreseeable future. Wife is of the opinion she will live the cruising life as long as she has a home to return to. We both have many things weíve collected or inherited that we donít want to sell. The house we are building is geothermal and solar so costs in our absence are low. Itís designed to serve us for the rest of our lives.
Iíve been a landlord. Itís a total PIA and another worry to enslave you. Storage is also a worry and not cheap. In the market we live housing costs will just go up so not much money is saved by not building now even with the space underutilized.
Thereís no right to this decision except it must be a truly mutual decision.
MikeOReilly and sailforlife like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 64 Old 09-19-2018
Master Mariner

Every year we meet maybe half a dozen couples who went all in and sold the house, etc but found that cruising just wasn't right for them. We meet a few dozen who did it and enjoy the cruising and a whole bunch of 'commuter cruisers' who have it both ways, spending summers at "home" and winters sailing.
From what we understand, it can be pretty financially devastating to sell all, buy and outfit a boat, then try to recoup that expenditure 6 months to a year later to go back to their former lives. With that in mind, we offered a charter called 'the cruising experience' but found that absolutely no one seemed interested in trying cruising before leaping in, so after 3 years, we dropped it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 64 Old 09-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Every year we meet maybe half a dozen couples who went all in and sold the house, etc but found that cruising just wasn't right for them. We meet a few dozen who did it and enjoy the cruising and a whole bunch of 'commuter cruisers' who have it both ways, spending summers at "home" and winters sailing.
From what we understand, it can be pretty financially devastating to sell all, buy and outfit a boat, then try to recoup that expenditure 6 months to a year later to go back to their former lives. With that in mind, we offered a charter called 'the cruising experience' but found that absolutely no one seemed interested in trying cruising before leaping in, so after 3 years, we dropped it.
I think your idea/program is a good one.
Prob needs some publicity and support.
Just makes sense...hard education with a true life vacay
sailforlife likes this.
post #8 of 64 Old 09-19-2018

I thought we wanted to, spent 13 weeks aboard one summer, about week 11 I was ready to get off. Glad we ran the experiment.

I have other friends that have lived aboard for 13 years and more.

Definitely do the experiment before you do something that's hard to reverse. There's no right answer, just a right answer for you.
post #9 of 64 Old 09-19-2018
Dirt Free

Did it in 1994. Only one regret ...... should have done it sooner

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (09-19-2018)
post #10 of 64 Old 09-20-2018

After owning my boat and upgrading her over 6 years I decided to take a sabbatical at least... and gave up my loft and gave away most of the contents and my clothing and possessions. I stored some valuables with my brother. I figured I always had the option to "start again"... but with more experience than when I first started. A house is usually a much more involved commitment than a loft... which I acquired for little and on return was unable to afford it. But I did return after 4 great years, and did start over again a wiser man with a boat and no desire to on property and possessions... or a few of the latter as possible. Acquiring store is a common American affliction.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in