Can a Non resident of FL. keep a boat in FL? - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter

Can a Non resident of FL. keep a boat in FL?

New to the Sailnet Community.
My wife and I are residents of a different state but spend a lot of time in Florida. We are tossing around the idea of buying another boat and keeping it in a marina to do coastal getaways, Bahamas etc. and to just hang out on and mess with when we are there.
Seems what I have read, that this not possible unless you are a FL resident? Or the boat has to be moved within x amount of time.
We don’t have anyone in FL. to use as a home address
Any one in this group no if our plans are possible.?
Thanks in advance.
I was emailing a boat broker back and forth about a couple sailboats and when I told him the above “plan” I never heard back from him after that , so I figured I wasn’t worth his time anymore once he knew my above mentioned “plan” and that his boat sale wasn’t going to be able to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-23-2018

Re: Can a Non resident of FL. keep a boat in FL?

People do it all the time. Your in more trouble if you do not register it locally and leave it here year round since you'll be paying impact fees to the wrong State.

This is taken care of by the Tax Office on the County level.

http://taxcollect.com/wp-content/upl...REV-032918.pdf
https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...itles/vessels/
Southbaydad likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaStar58 For This Useful Post:
Southbaydad (09-23-2018)
post #3 of 29 Old 09-23-2018

You title and register it in Florida and pay all the Florida taxes for the boat. they don't care where you live as long as they can send you the bill for the required fees
Southbaydad likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
Southbaydad (09-23-2018)

post #4 of 29 Old 09-23-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

I split my residency between FL and New England so when I bought a boat I researched all the implications very carefully, including calls to the head tax and boat registration offices in Tallahassee.

First, you can certainly keep a boat in Florida no matter what state you reside in but you will have to address two things, sales tax and registration.

If you buy a boat in Florida regardless of your state of residency unless you remove the boat from FL withing 30 days you are liable for Florida sales and use tax. This is administered on a county level and varies slightly but usually 6-6.5%. Even if you buy a boat in another state, if you bring the boat to FL you are still liable for FL sales tax unless you comply with a one of the very specific exemptions. You will be credited if you paid sales tax in another state so you won't have to pay twice.

Regarding registration, if you keep a boat in FL more than 90 days they will require you to pay FL registration, even if the boat is USCG documented. You will not display FL registration numbers on a documented boat but you will if it is state registered only. The registration is not much. Depending on the value and age of the boat $50-$150 is typical.

FL does not have an annual ad valorem tax so no concerns there.
Southbaydad likes this.

Last edited by skipmac; 09-23-2018 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to skipmac For This Useful Post:
Southbaydad (09-23-2018)
post #5 of 29 Old 09-23-2018

The current reg exempts sales tax on transfers of out of state registration if the out of state registration is more than 6 months old regardless of whether that state charges sales tax or not. I went through verifying this in July and yes it can get frustrating depending on who you talk to at the Tax Office, DMV or FWC as they all have different priorities.

For many the issue may be a troubled title on a used boat which if the seller can't produce it may cost the buyer $600+ in court fees and a number of weeks/months waiting for a determination to be made which still may not be favorable. Florida appears to be a bit behind the times on this considering its the computer age or perhaps just overwhelmed by the volume of it all. Many times with a troubled title your better off registering the boat in another state that will verify ownership and such electronically and then go to the county tax office in Florida that's closest to you to transfer that into a Florida Title and Registration offering to pay the sales tax.
Southbaydad likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaStar58 For This Useful Post:
Southbaydad (09-23-2018)
post #6 of 29 Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the reply and the links. I will do more research and maybe make some calls.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter

Yes that would make sense. In my world !
Stuff that I have read seems to imply though that the boat, if kept there has to have a Florida address associated with it or on file ? For tax purposes.
More research needed. Thanks for the reply
post #8 of 29 Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter

So did you buy your boat in FL. Or bring your boat there from another state?

I realize the taxes etc and am not trying to get around “being legal”.
I think I would probably have the boat documented vs state registered. Seems more pros than cons especially if cruising to other countries.

Maybe all this will work out after all.
Thanks for the info
Peter Janker likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter

Yes I agree. I have read conflicting things regarding all this. As far priorities of the agencies and also conflicting things about how if it is possible to do this without a Fl. Address
We probably would buy a boat already in FL. Somewhere.....
I read articles where some cruisers will use a place in Green Cove Springs, FL. As their FL. ( resident address) also I have read that it is possible that some marinas will let a person use the marinas address as the FL resident address on the documentation papers or tax papers/ registration. and so on.... thanks for the replies.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-23-2018

In Florida you will be required to registered the boat with the state even if it is also documented. if it is documented you do not need to display the Florida registration numbers. so you will be paying for both. documented is not really needed in the Bahamas
Southbaydad likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in