Hurricane and Caribbean insurance - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Hurricane and Caribbean insurance

I’m a US citizen. Never had a claim. Looking to switch insurance. Sailing from R.I. to Antigua on or about 28 Oct. cruise windwards. Go on hard in Grenada 1june to 1 November.

Have friends using Geico but extra $500 if leaving from R.I. and no mechanical, electrical coverage.

Offered Concepts out of London by broker.

?anyone have experience with this company.
?anyone using different company for similar sailing program?
?any advice welcomed

Thanks

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
Maine Sail (09-28-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-24-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Hurricane and Caribbean insurance

You gotta love the Gulfstream!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 18 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Don’t mind the gulf stream. Just found when back in US there are so many other things I want to do so the boat mainly just sits.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 18 Old 09-24-2018
Master Mariner

Mention of Gulfstream was in relation to higher insurance cost of leaving from RI for Bermuda.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Yup $500 more from R.I. than from Norfolk. Think this more from smaller weather windows and longer trip. Yes, transit through stream a bit longer as well.
Any insurance advice?
capta likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 18 Old 09-24-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Yup $500 more from R.I. than from Norfolk. Think this more from smaller weather windows and longer trip. Yes, transit through stream a bit longer as well.
Any insurance advice?
Once again, the insurance co's have it all wrong. RI to Bermuda is 650 miles, a pretty short trip if one is trying to squeeze through moving systems, rather than a 10 day or more beat with no break and lots of reefs to leeward. Silver Bank always being my favorite in inclement weather!
Oh well, it is what it is.
Insurance advise? Couldn't print my feelings about insurance companies in general, and marine insurance in particular. I'd be banned from the www forever. lol well maybe more cry than lol.

post #7 of 18 Old 09-24-2018

We are insured with Pantaenius. They don't care where we leave from or go to (within our coverage limits, which certainly covers Maine to E. Caribe offshore, and the entire Caribe Sea, Central and South America, but has latitude restrictions between July 15 and Nov 1). Our premiums are the same regardless of our travel decisions.

I don't know about Concepts out of London, but the usual caveats apply as to any company - who are the actual underwriters, how are they rated, what does the policy actually state, have they covered claims in the past, etc.

Mark
outbound likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #8 of 18 Old 09-25-2018

I second the Pantaenius suggestion if you are cruising across multiple regions. They are not the cheapest but if you are doing US East Coast and Caribbean only but they have a good record of flexible cover and paying when there is a claim.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-25-2018

I use Travelers. Smaller premium for Bermuda passage, but not sure if it’s the same for anything south of the gulf stream. It also carries a 3 capable crew requirement, for passages behind a limit I can’t recall (250 miles?) which doesn’t bother me. Someday it might.

There is no way in heck I could believe that GIECO is the way to go. Ask oneself... who is going to fully explain the coverages?

My number one advice, when shopping for insurance, is tell the broker you want to review coverage and claims, not price. Decide which is the best value, after you understand the differences. Many insurance salespeople become jaded that only price will sell, because too many are silly enough to think they can get a room at the Four Seasons for the price of a Super 8. It depends on what you want.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-25-2018 Thread Starter

During a cockpit, drinks session with other cruisers was told a story of a clear claim against Pantaenius. Was told as US citizen you don’t have “standing “ so need to work through a British solicitor. Claim was successful but took 3 years to resolve. Admittedly this is total hearsay and just one occurrence but it raises concerns. Pantaenius is more expensive but the coverage details seem better than Geico. Anybody have claim experience with any of the available companies serving this market? The

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in