Size for single handing? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 63 Old 11-25-2018

Dock
Re: Size for single handing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
Curious: how many people here, other than Jeff, actually have a backstay tensioner?

(not me)
Backstay tension is really only for racing boats.
You can *almost* do the exact same thing with halyard adjustment.

In racing you are working hard to get the last .1 of a knot. That will win you races. Cruising you are not worried about the speed you are working hard to getting to the destination without breakages. (incl breaking crew!)

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 63 Old 11-25-2018

Quote:
Curious: how many people here, other than Jeff, actually have a backstay tensioner?

(not me)
Shiva is fractional and I can tension back stay and bend the mast.... which flattens the main.
It's a simple 6:1 block and tackle and I only use it for pointing... and so I use it very infrequently.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #53 of 63 Old 11-25-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

At the end of the island I roll the genoa away expecting to get some acceleration and gusts. This is especially nasty on the North end of St Vincent and bursts of 35 to 40 knots are common. I will usually bear off a bit and maybe depower the main a little. It only lasts for a few miles and soon I am back playing with the roller furler to keep the speed up.

Maybe once a year I have to put in an extra reef on passage.
The Caribbean may have the wind from the "same" direction all year round but the challenges are local winds, currents and swell.
Between each island are these wind compression zones as TQA describes. You can see the newbys and charter sailirs because they will reef in every gust tgerefir working their butts off in every inter island hop. The people comfortable will not reef but 'depower' I. E. Let the main luff a bit (not flog) fir the 15 minutes. Also the swell can pick up incredibly... But agsin only for a few minutes. Squalls come through every few hours - again only for 15 minutes.

If you reefed every tk e the conditions changed fir 15 minutes you would be Dead Man Walking at the end of the day.

How racing boats handle it in long races is beyond me - sail changes by the minute!

Caribbean is wonderful.
SanderO and oysterman23 like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #54 of 63 Old 11-25-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:

(not me)
I've got a backstay tensioner on my boat, and it gets used.
post #55 of 63 Old 11-26-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:

(not me)
Damn silly thing to have on a single handed cruising boat, ranks alongside running backstays and a bendy mast.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #56 of 63 Old 11-26-2018

Have a hydraulic backstay adjuster. Itís used nearly all the time. Although not as much effect as on a bendy frac rig even with a mast head rig it gets rid of headstay sag. You get a flatter jib/genny. It also does flatten the main some and seems to eliminate pumping without needing to set up a running backstay most of the time.
Regardless of rig (except b&k) even for a cruiser a useful piece of kit.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #57 of 63 Old 11-26-2018

Size for single handing?

Here are two videos of two boats on the same singlehanded route to Hawaii.

The first is a 32-footer, the second a 38-footer.

The larger boat is more 'stately' in a seaway, the sails of the smaller boat are easier to handle. In the end, "go with the boat you've got."

archimedes and Arcb like this.

post #58 of 63 Old 11-26-2018

Christian Williams, thanks for posting the videos. I plan to watch them right after I watch NASAs live streaming coverage of the landing of the Mars rover at around 1 PM central time today (Nov. 26, 2018).

https://www.space.com/17933-nasa-tel...-space-tv.html
post #59 of 63 Old 11-26-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

Damn silly thing to have on a single handed cruising boat, ranks alongside running backstays and a bendy mast.
That explains a lot and would certainly at least in part explain why your boat has such a narrow wind range for its sails.

Obviously, we have different approaches to sailing. While I absolutely agree that running backstays are not appropriate on a single-handed cruising boat, (which is one of my objections to cutter rigs that need runners opposing the staysail in heavier air), an easily adjustable backstay and a mast that can be bent a little seems like critical tools to me.

In my view of sailing, saying that a "bendable mast and an adjustable backstay does not belong on a single-handed cruising boat" (or at least on a fractional rig without in-mast furling) is just like saying that "a furlable genoa or a first reef does not belong on a single-handed cruising boat." I say that because properly used, using the full range of backstay adjustment results in the same reduction in heel, leeway, and weather helm as partially furling the genoa and putting in a first reef. In my current boat, the entire range of adjustment for the backstay menas pulling in roughly 6 feet of line, that does not need a winch, that is accessible from the helm, and its under a lot less load than either a reef line or the line for my furler.

Perhaps it would be helpful to someone reading this discussion, if you can explain why you think a bendable spar, or a backstay adjuster is not suited for a single-handed cruising boat since they have been the norm for quite for at least 2-3 decades now on well built distance cruisers.

Jeff
Sailormon6, SanderO and slap like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 11-26-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typos galore
post #60 of 63 Old 11-26-2018

Several sailers I have met have sailed long distances in Pearson Triton 28 footers, a very well built fiberglass boat. One, who showed me his boat when he stopped at my homeport of Gloucester, Mass., had created a metal fiddle with fore and aft as well as athwartship pieces "to keep the soup and coffee pot from launching off the stove". He sailed to Europe via the Azores. "What about food and water?" "Two cans of food or soup, and a half gallon of water per day times the number of days you think it will take to get where you are going, plus fifty percent of everything to cover emergencies" That's the minimalist route, I think

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in