Fort Lauderdale Live Aboard marinas!!! - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SV Siren
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2019 Thread Starter

Fort Lauderdale Live Aboard marinas!!!

Hello, I am looking to relocate to a year around live aboard Marina in the Fort Lauderdale area. I am not familiar with any would appreciate any advice, marina name and if available cost. Thank a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Re: Fort Lauderdale Live Aboard marinas!!!

The only one I am familiar with is the Royale Palm Marina. It is located on the Dania Cut-off channel there in Fort Lauderdale. It is a pretty quiet marina, with no wake issues, showers, and it pretty nice. The owner can get cranky from what I recall, just stay on his good side, and your golden. There used to be a waiting list...I am sure there still is. They are a fairly full service yard, but if you are a DIY kinda guy/gal, you can cross the channel to Playbouy Marine, they are a great yard, with a long list of contractors at the ready. Royale Palm is easy to get to, there are no bridges to bother with.
sailforlife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
The only one I am familiar with is the Royale Palm Marina. It is located on the Dania Cut-off channel there in Fort Lauderdale. It is a pretty quiet marina, with no wake issues, showers, and it pretty nice. The owner can get cranky from what I recall, just stay on his good side, and your golden. There used to be a waiting list...I am sure there still is. They are a fairly full service yard, but if you are a DIY kinda guy/gal, you can cross the channel to Playbouy Marine, they are a great yard, with a long list of contractors at the ready. Royale Palm is easy to get to, there are no bridges to bother with.
Yep..agreed..contractors fall all over themselves getting your business there.. :}

post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2019
Master Mariner

Most marinas in the South Fla area are prohibitively expensive for those born w/o a silver spoon and have been for some decades.
The majority of liveaboards down that way live on the docks of private houses in the canals or behind the small hotels on the Las Olas Isles. I suggest you go down w/o the boat, find a cheap motel and secure a slip before you take the boat down. Longer term anchoring options are fairly limited, from what I hear.
Otherwise, haul the boat at one of the cheaper yards and find a slip from there. Pollution control down that way is a big thing, so make sure all that works, as chances are you will not be allowed to use the facilities if you rent from a home or hotel.
Good luck.
sailforlife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in