Outboard for Cruising - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

Re: Outboard for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
One consideration is power generation. Many (most?) outboards in that size don't have a rectifier to generate 12v power, although you can add them to most it seems... even then they don't put out anywhere near the amperage that an alternator on a diesel might. Not saying that's a plan stopper, just something to consider if you think you're going to have significant power draws (fridge etc).
I agree, I am looking to make my trailer sailor into a cruiser and think the limit of the outboards power output will be the limiting factor. I am thinking if he can't afford a working inboard, refrigeration is unlikely also.

It seems like taking a boat removing the motor and altering the transom to fit an outboard will be an extensive task. A used 9.9 will likely cost you $1000 new with alternator $2400. I don't see this as a money or time saving alternative. That time and effort would be better spent rebuilding an Atomic 4. The ability to have a better source of DC generation and maybe hot water would benefit you in the long run.
paulk and Arcb like this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

With the solar options out there these days you could probably get by with the minimal power generation of an outboard, but now we're talking even more expense (and you need the space for lots of panels).

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

For power generation, in this situation, you could consider going with having a solar panel and close to zero electronics.

LED nav Lights, a simple VHF with a small screen that displays numbers only, tablet for navigation, basic alcohol stove, hand pump for water, no fridge.

post #14 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerz123 View Post
I've decided to bring back a Alberg 30 to life from the depts of despair. I plan on doing extensive cruising but sadly money is tight so I'm looking to find a project boat and work on it over the next 2 years.
Be careful, this math rarely works. Bringing a boat back to life, often costs more than one in seaworthy condition already. IMO, the only boats worth resurrecting are those with strictly cosmetic issues. Mechanicals, rigging, sails, decks, engines, etc, cost more than they're ultimately worth. Almost every used boat sells for some fraction of the dollar that was actually spent on it.
jephotog likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-19-2019
dadio917

had a Honda 9.9 on the transom of an o'day 27 which is a pretty heavy boat. Pushed it fine to 6 knots in smooth water. That honda never let us down and generated 12V for charging. Could augment with some cheap solar as well. Maybe a prop change for your particular boat?

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #16 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

If you are like us and only use the engine to get in and out of marinas, very limited powering at sea and prefer to sail if at all possible, a 10hp outboard will be adequate for powering in low wind/wave conditions. We cruised in a 20,000# boat with only a 25hp auxiliary and never felt the need for more power. FYI, Yves Galenas of Cape Horn Self Steering fame sailed an Alberg 30 around the world solo without an engine. Later on he made a mount for a larger outboard (25hp?) for cruising the Intercoastal Waterways that necessitated a lot of powering. He has a DVD of the trip that's well worth the price. http://caphorn.com/en/integrated-models/ I wouldn't give up the lazarette for the outboard. Would use a transom mount to keep it from robbing valuable storage space. Not the best location for engine location in significant seas but those conditions are almost never encountered without wind to sail.

Even if the outboard has generating capacity wouldn't expect it to supply much battery charging capacity. The alternators or whatever on outboards seem to have pitifully small output. Would want solar/wind charging capability as the primary battery charging source. If you keep the boat simple with limited electronics, no refrigeration, etc you can get by with with modest charging capacity. We cruised/lived aboard without refrigeration and got by just fine. There are a lot of people on this list that you can only cruise in a 40' plus boat with A/C, Refrigeration, Surround Sound Big Screen TV, etc You can easily circumnavigate with a hand held VHF, 5" display plotter, LED nav and interior lights with limited a minimal solar/wind charging capability. For me, sailing is not about lugging all the detritus of a condo out to sea.
RegisteredUser, basssears and Arcb like this.

Last edited by roverhi; 01-19-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

I cruise an Allied Seawind 30 with a 6hp Tohatsu on a stern bracket and so far donít really miss the inboard diesel after it failed.

My boat is 12,000lbs and the outboard pushes it at close to hull speed at half throttle.

The real difference comes when docking, the small outboard prop doesnít have a ton of bite and the boat cannot be stopped quickly. The learning curve is steep and I avoid docking whenever possible and when I need to it takes a few go arounds to get the angles right. And it took a few bruised ego days to get even remotely adequate at docking

I have 135 watts of solar between a 35 and a 100 watt panel and 450ah of battery between four gc2 batteries.

With a little care I havenít had issues running batteries low.

Itís all in what you can deal with

Jeff
post #18 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

As seen here
Attached Thumbnails
6F5F764F-9791-4ABE-BABB-AC8B6FA3460D.jpeg  
basssears likes this.
post #19 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Gawrys View Post
The real difference comes when docking, the small outboard prop doesnít have a ton of bite and the boat cannot be stopped quickly. The learning curve is steep and I avoid docking whenever possible and when I need to it takes a few go arounds to get the angles right. And it took a few bruised ego days to get even remotely adequate at docking
If your outboard takes it a high thrust prop can help with this. I put one on our Yamaha 8HP (not a high thrust model outboard, but has a high thrust prop available for it) and it helped quite a bit with reversing and stopping... seems to help a bit with going forward but I didn't notice a change as much there as with the stopping power. FWIW.

Sailing blog:
post #20 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Gawrys View Post
As seen here
Pretty boat!!

Sailing blog:

Tags
alberg 30 , outboard well

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in