Outboard for Cruising - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 01-20-2019

Re: Outboard for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Gawrys View Post
I cruise an Allied Seawind 30 with a 6hp Tohatsu on a stern bracket and so far don’t really miss the inboard diesel after it failed.

My boat is 12,000lbs and the outboard pushes it at close to hull speed at half throttle.
This sounds impossible.
RegisteredUser likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 01-20-2019
Master Mariner

For the price of a brand new Yamaha 4 stroke, 15 hp engine (the only one I would suggest as the best and most reliable on the market), you could probably come close to the cost of rebuilding whatever engine you already have aboard and gain a lot of important experience.
I would also suggest, that as cruising is your stated goal, an outboard on a 30 footer could put you in dire circumstances should you encounter some pretty bad weather from an unfavorable direction. You will be seriously limited as to when that motor will work for you.
Now, the boat you are discussing was designed with its engine and fuel (a good bit of weight) more or less in the center of the boat, by an experienced and one would hope, qualified marine architect. Now you are contemplating removing all that weight from the center of the boat and adding a bunch to the blunt end. Have you given any consideration to what this might do to the sailing performance and characteristics of your boat? As long as I've been boating, people have been saying to me to keep the ends of the boat light.
On our 53 foot 77,000# boat, it actually makes a considerable difference if we sail with our 250# inflatable on the foredeck or on the davits.
Just saying.....
kd3pc likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 27 Old 01-20-2019

I owned a cape dory 24 for several years with an outboard in a well.

It was a TOTAL PIA. With any kind slop water would splash up into the well. Sometimes even when the engine wasn’t running it meant no engine the next time you went to start it. I took some benzeel board and constructed a rim around it to try to protect it and it worked to a moderate degree but the force of a wave coming up had it leak sometimes and then the well wouldn’t drain for awhile. Got rid of the board. I went to a CD30 and it was a different world. Unless you never expect to be in an even moderate seaway or significant chop would avoid a outboard in a well. May work for a NJ sea bright powerboat but not for a sailboat.
Interestingly in the sailboats with an outboard on a bracket never had this issue. Don’t know why.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #24 of 27 Old 01-20-2019

My outboard is in a well. I dont take any slop through my well, certainly nothing that is going to drown out my engine. My only complaint is the wave slap on the after end of my well which robs me of speed when sailing.

Of course, being sailboats, they dont really need an engine at all when they are sailing or anchoring. The engines become a necessity when docking in marinas or canaling. I usually remove my outboard and store it in a locker if I am going to be sailing for more than an hour or two and replace it before I enter a marina. Some boats have outboard well plugs to eliminate the slap, and I guess slop if it happens to be a problem.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-20-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Gawrys View Post
As seen here
Is that an extension on the throttle?
post #26 of 27 Old 01-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
Is that an extension on the throttle?
Yup makes it easier to reach from the helm and the ability to pivot the outboard makes turns a little tighter
post #27 of 27 Old 06-16-2019

Boxerz123, I'd strongly suggest you visit atomvoyages.com. It was put up by a guy named James Baldwin. I've never met him, but I've just really scoured his site recently and loved reading everything. Fascinating guy, who has circumnavigated TWICE in an old Pearson Triton 28. He's written 3 books about those voyages. Right now, it appears his main work these days is consulting with people about to go offshore, and a side business is retrofitting old plastic classics into the kind of shape they need to be in order to handle the stresses of serious bluewater cruising. What you'll find particularly relevant is 1) he has done work outfitting several Alberg 30's, and 2) he regularly modifies Tritons, Albergs and other similar old CCA designs to have outboard wells in the lazarettes. He really really hates inboards. His methods wouldn't be for everybody. He outfits his boats in a pretty minimalist style. Like, as in no icebox or refrigeration. It makes sense when you see the kinds of spans he's spent between harbors...like weeks and weeks, where refrigeration prob just wouldn't be an option without a generator. For a coastal cruiser who likes his comfort or a live aboard, his ideas might not fit your plans. But to cut to the chase, he's a huge fan of putting outboards in these style boats up to 30', and he feels 10 hp is ample for a 30. I think I recall him particularly liking Tohatsu with the high thrust prop. He modifies the lazarettes to incorporate glassed-in flotation chambers that also serve as shelves for 2 plastic outboard tanks a side. He cuts a slot from the outboard's hole running fairly high up the transom to allow the motor to tilt up when not driving the boat. He has fiberglass pieces that slide and clamp in the close the parts of the "slot" not in use to limit the splash. You end up with a tip-up hatch, raised up somewhat, to clear the top of the motor. He's done many this way. Never having met Mr. Baldwin, I'm inclined to believe his experience; if he says it works, I believe it. With older boats, I'm a little more of a purist and shy away from mods like these that change the look, and i really don't mind tinkering on a small diesel inboard as long as there's room for my big butt to get in there, but I don't question that his setup would work. And, I have to admit, his way would give some relief to how notoriously unpredictably these boats back down in a slip with their keel-hung rudders with the prop in a little aperture; if you can swing that outboard at least 30 degrees each way when backing down, you'll actually have some measure of control.

Tags
alberg 30 , outboard well

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in