Outboard for Cruising - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 01-18-2019 Thread Starter

Outboard for Cruising

I've decided to bring back a Alberg 30 to life from the depts of despair. I plan on doing extensive cruising but sadly money is tight so I'm looking to find a project boat and work on it over the next 2 years. The boats in this range have either no engine or the engine needs replacement. So I'm thinking of converting the lazarette into an outboard well and removing the old Atomic 4 engine. Assuming all goes well what does everyone think of cruising with an outboard?
I'll be going with a long-shaft 9.9 hp Nissan or something similar with a reserve tankage of 4 x 3 galon cans. I know I won't be getting the same range as an inboard diesel but given the shoe string budget and wanting to keep the engine as simple as possible is this a viable solution for long-term voyaging?
My thinking is that with good routing/planning I'd keep motoring to a minimum and sail most of the time whenever I can. And money and space for the existing engine can be used for better purposes.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-18-2019

Re: Outboard for Cruising

6gal tanks are just a bit more $s than 3gal
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
westerly winds (02-24-2019)
post #3 of 27 Old 01-18-2019

An Alberg 30 is a lot of boat for 9.9 hp outboard.

The lazarette is aft of the rudder, so control under power isn't going to great.

Why not a smaller boat that already has an outboard well designed in?

post #4 of 27 Old 01-18-2019 Thread Starter

agree but sadly the Lazarette will only first 3 Gal size tanks. (at least based on the current design i'm thinking of)
post #5 of 27 Old 01-18-2019 Thread Starter

thanks arbc
In Terms of maneuverability, the outboard well design allow the engine to be rotated for 90 degrees of thrust in whichever direction. This renders the boat much more maneuverable compared to the inboard which is a pain to back up.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-18-2019

Fair enough, my brother has an Alberg 22, and it has the same arrangement. Outboard well aft of the rudder, outboard can rotate like you describe. It works on the 22. He uses a Honda 5 hp on that boat, which is 3500 lbs.
Boxerz123 likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-18-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-18-2019

Ten hp should be adequate. I know of a Triton that does well with an 8 hp, and it's only about 600 lbs less than the Alberg 30.

After the A4 is removed there will be plenty of space to install a 12 gal tank, or even larger. It has to be installed to meet ABYC specs. They don't appear too cumbersome. By the time you buy 4 tanks and the necessary fittings, you could probably buy a permanently installed 12 gal tank for not much more.
You can get some guidance at this link. https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...tion-Checklist

Last edited by Sailormon6; 01-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailormon6 For This Useful Post:
Boxerz123 (01-18-2019)
post #8 of 27 Old 01-18-2019

You can fit a lot of rum and canned goods into that old engine space.
Plan it so goods are secure.
I would have zero gas stored inside. Thats just me...
What do you plan to do with her?
Where are you going?
Pretty boat
post #9 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

One consideration is power generation. Many (most?) outboards in that size don't have a rectifier to generate 12v power, although you can add them to most it seems... even then they don't put out anywhere near the amperage that an alternator on a diesel might. Not saying that's a plan stopper, just something to consider if you think you're going to have significant power draws (fridge etc).
jephotog and RegisteredUser like this.

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-19-2019

You don't need even significant power draws, GPS and VHF will drain the batteries to the point where it will take a lot of outboard running time to replenish. Lights and pumps add a bigger deficit. A portable generator is a possible option.

Tags
alberg 30 , outboard well

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in