10 years of cost of cruising data - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 02-03-2019

Re: 10 years of cost of cruising data

Thanks for the info. Little depressing. I'm trying to do this on a 2008 or so Lagoon 421/400/440 catamaran in about 2 years. Less the boat payment and insurance (different budget), I was hopping to do everything, live, fix, repair, eat, entertain, etc. on $3000 a month. I'd hope I don't drink as much, 8 beers a year, minimal dockage, own repairs when required. I don't see much for hotel and eating out. I might make it for 3,000.
MarkofSeaLife and Axias like this.

1988 C&C 30MkII used as a live aboard in MD. Sailing experience: Started 2014; 6-mo on Hobbie Cat Wave 13', 1 year on a Potter P15 sailboat, and ASA 101,103/104 classes. Power boater for 20+ years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 02-03-2019

Check out Colombia for possibilities when you feel you must move ashore. My wife is from there and Colombia will likely become my shore based home.

LPdiver
post #23 of 27 Old 02-03-2019

I would love to know what great service you received in the 4 years you decided to tip someone.

(And thanks for posting.)

post #24 of 27 Old 02-04-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
Thanks for the info. Little depressing. I'm trying to do this on a 2008 or so Lagoon 421/400/440 catamaran in about 2 years. Less the boat payment and insurance (different budget), I was hopping to do everything, live, fix, repair, eat, entertain, etc. on $3000 a month. I'd hope I don't drink as much, 8 beers a year, minimal dockage, own repairs when required. I don't see much for hotel and eating out. I might make it for 3,000.

$3k is fine as long as you dont go into marinas. And that's quite easy once outside the USA and Europe.

In the pacific and Caribbean there is no need for a marina EVER.

Marinas are not only expensive but the lead to a totally different lifestyle: marina mates go to restaurants, anchorage mates visit each other's boats for sundowners, and Pot Lucks or beers on the beach.

In all these costings you see the first thing you look at is marinas... If there is more than $100 per month just disregard the whole budget and go find someone else's.
Other clues are flights.

Stay on the boat at anchorage and be a tourist, don't fly home every second weekend.
SanderO and Axias like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 02-04-2019 at 04:44 AM.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-05-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
It's the version of Excel that has been on this computer for 6 years. maybe SN needs to join the 2000s
OK I saved my spreadsheet in the old people verizon. I don't dod the detail Chuck does, but maybe someone will find it useful
Attached Files
File Type: xls Money spent cruising.xls (53.5 KB, 3 views)
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-05-2019 Thread Starter
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
You can do it easily on #k -- that is our normal in most years. We just had a bad year last year - so don't get depressed. SoulMates is 15 years old, has over 40k miles, is used really hard, even through we take good care of her stuff does wear out and has to be replaced. Our costs includes insurance so if you remove that you can do it.
Oh and it depends on where you sail. Come to the Med and you have to winter someplace and that is a marina. Getting parts here are a bit more expensive and limited.
We do eat out and we do live hotels when we travel inland at times. A lot of time our trips are day trips. Right now in Israel we have yet to see a hotel as almost everything is a day trip. Yesterday did the Dead Sea and Masada - 12 hour day.
good luck and come on out
RegisteredUser likes this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #27 of 27 Old 02-05-2019 Thread Starter
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpdiver View Post
Check out Colombia for possibilities when you feel you must move ashore. My wife is from there and Colombia will likely become my shore based home.

LPdiver
We have talked a lot about where we will live when we stop cruising. We have sailed to Colombia and loved it. It is very very high on the list.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in