SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   10 years of cost of cruising data (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/328204-10-years-cost-cruising-data.html)

chuck5499 01-31-2019 02:40 AM

10 years of cost of cruising data

We have just begun our 12th year underway and attached is a spreadsheet of our costs for the past 10 years.

2018 was a very very expensive year for us. Our average monthly cost went up by about 100%.

We went into Marmaris with a leaking heat exchanger that regardless of how hard I tired to fix it underway and patch the leak it would pop up nearby. Ended up with a lot of salt water all over the engine and a major repair. We hired the best in a certified Yanmar mechanic - Marlin Marine and are very happy with the results but as they said they would never be the cheapest.

We also bought a new genny from UKSails that is an upgrade from the one that came with the boat 15 years ago. We replaced the 15 y/o bimini and dodger and mattress in the forward berth. We added a solar panel. All the through hulls were replaced along with their hoses. Our Force10 stove was 15 years old so we found a guy who rebuilt it. Upgraded our chartplotter from a C70 to a C80.

We did a lot of inland travel in Turkey and then again we flew back to the USA - first time in 4 years and had to stay in hotels as no family around and the cost of a rental car was out of sight. On the way back did a few days in Germany and a stop in Austria. Thus our eating out, hotels and transportation were over the roof.

It was one of those years that we hope we never see again. But for the first time in a long time the boat is almost like new again.

This forum does not allow excel uploads so to see the costs go to
cruisers and sailors forum
10 years of cost of cruising data - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

MarkofSeaLife 01-31-2019 03:02 AM

Re: 10 years of cost of cruising data

This is one of the reasons I don't plot costs. It would be heartbreaking at times. I close my eyes.

The interesting news is, though this has been an expensive year for you, the equipment has lasted very, very well.
Biminis and matterases lasting 15 years? That's terrific.
Heat exchanger too.
Well done.

SanderO 01-31-2019 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck5499 (Post 2051580328)
We have just begun our 12th year underway and attached is a spreadsheet of our costs for the past 10 years.

2018 was a very very expensive year for us. Our average monthly cost went up by about 100%.

We went into Marmaris with a leaking heat exchanger that regardless of how hard I tired to fix it underway and patch the leak it would pop up nearby. Ended up with a lot of salt water all over the engine and a major repair. We hired the best in a certified Yanmar mechanic - Marlin Marine and are very happy with the results but as they said they would never be the cheapest.

We also bought a new genny from UKSails that is an upgrade from the one that came with the boat 15 years ago. We replaced the 15 y/o bimini and dodger and mattress in the forward berth. We added a solar panel. All the through hulls were replaced along with their hoses. Our Force10 stove was 15 years old so we found a guy who rebuilt it. Upgraded our chartplotter from a C70 to a C80.

We did a lot of inland travel in Turkey and then again we flew back to the USA - first time in 4 years and had to stay in hotels as no family around and the cost of a rental car was out of sight. On the way back did a few days in Germany and a stop in Austria. Thus our eating out, hotels and transportation were over the roof.

It was one of those years that we hope we never see again. But for the first time in a long time the boat is almost like new again.

10 years of cost of cruising data - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

If you have a PDF printer program like Adobe or Bullzip (free and recommened) you can print and excel file to PDF and then at least in Bullzip, save it to JPG. I have attached an example. Of course you can crop the PDF or the JPEG

Don0190 01-31-2019 08:29 AM

Chuck is just messing with people now. Everyone on a forum knows you can cruise for under $1000/mo and do it forever. It's all in how you apply the "not counting" line item :wink

MarkofSeaLife 01-31-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck5499 (Post 2051580328)

It does now. :)

Do you want to test with your speadsheet please?

Mark

SloopJonB 01-31-2019 11:28 AM

Stop that!

It's like the cost of having children or buying a house - no-one can afford it if you look at the numbers.

Actually, looking at those numbers I could save a bunch by going cruising.

Don0190 01-31-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051580428)
It does now. :)

Do you want to test with your speadsheet please?

Mark

I'll try

no luck it said it is an invalid file "Money spent cruising.xlsx"

RegisteredUser 01-31-2019 11:56 AM

Maybe try .xls

Don0190 01-31-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051580460)
Maybe try .xls

how would I try something other than what the file is?

RegisteredUser 01-31-2019 12:02 PM

Maybe sysrem doesnt recognise open xlm...but does reg excel
A guess