Drifting with the current. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 01-31-2019

Re: Drifting with the current.

Good article in this week's (04FEB) New Yorker magazine about Boyan Slat and his Gyre cleanup efforts. It mentions how all the plastic in the ocean will soon start to outweigh all the fish. Slat comes across as persistent and ready to work with - or against - the current. Maersk shipping, among others, seems to find his arguments convincing. On September 8, 2018, they provided the tug that took five days to tow the 2000' prototype boom from San Francisco Bay into position in the Pacific Gyre, to see if it would work. Results were not as good as expected, so Slat is considering using the wind to create a bigger speed differential between the cleanup boom (christened "Wilson", like Tom Hank's friend in "Cast Away"), and the surrounding water. Getting something that will work, unattended, in any conditions, is not easy. But again, Slat comes across as persistent. Let's hope we succeed. We could all use a little less plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 01-31-2019

Whirlpools, eddies and gyres come in all sorts of sizes
https://www.kctv5.com/news/giant-rot...a24101875.html

Reports in March, 2018 describe the North Pacific Gyre as covering 600,000 square miles - twice the size of Texas.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_259166112

There are six gyres in different oceans around the world. It seems that the N.Pacific gyre has the most garbage in it. Stuff isn't chockablock out there - it's spread out over a huge area. Raking sections of it with "Wilson" type booms - or perhaps something better - is intended to help start cleaning things up. But the process will take years.
gamayun likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-01-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
He plowed through it like a snail through lettuce field.
Did you just coin that phrase? I searched it and looks like you can claim it!
zeehag and MastUndSchotbruch like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #14 of 24 Old 02-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yes, it's mine, coming from my experiences with snails in my lettuce patch.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #15 of 24 Old 02-01-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

On the epic SA thread about Rimas there is a recent post by the robot guy in which he details a recent conversation with Rimas who is on back in the USA and I believe him to be looking for another boat in Seattle. If what Rimas said is true and there is no reason to doubt this [ as he is not on the VHF to the coasties pleading for a tow ] he has very bad cataracts.

To read his GPS he takes a picture of the screen with his Iphone and blows it up. I guess he can not read a compass without doing the same.

He explains that he did know what he was doing when he escaped from the Texas reef trap shown below.

He read his position on a chart. Realised that his only hope of escape from wrecking or at least grounding was to go North round the Undu Peninsula. So he set off hand steering and broad reaching North. He would have had to hand steer for many hours. As he can not read a compass he would have been sailing by feel. He made it.

Mind you he does not explain how he got into that pickle.

Getting out deserves some respect in my eyes. Up until now I was firmly of the opinion that he should not be encouraged to set off again and the 'enablers' should be shut down somehow. Now I don't know, he needs to get his cataracts done then should he be stopped?
Attached Thumbnails
RIMAS 3ab.jpg  
post #16 of 24 Old 02-01-2019
Master Mariner

I have no personal experience with the NP gyre, thankfully, but having made the sail from Hawaii to SF twice, I have successfully gone around it. Even back then, it was reputed to have a lot of garbage in it, and there were tales of a few who were stuck without wind and couldn't power for some days because of the garbage.
In my numerous voyages through the Med in the '70s and '80s, I encountered literal 'rivers' of plastic bags. I called the Med southern Europe's garbage can.
This stuff isn't new, it is just getting worse. Lately, however, I have noticed a drastic reduction in the number of stores and markets down here that put their sales in plastic bags; you must have your own or buy the plastic ones at an unreasonably high cost. Some of the take out places have switched from styrofoam containers to cardboard.
So, while the first world talks, some of the third world countries are actually doing something! Good on them.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #17 of 24 Old 02-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
So, while the first world talks, some of the third world countries are actually doing something! Good on them.
We bookended stays at two different resort islands for our recent Maldives charter. I was glad to see the resort restaurants provided paper straws with my Mocktail libations. We also picked a plastic bag off a reef while snorkeling one day. Glad it was the only one we saw during the eight day charter.
capta and Minnesail like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #18 of 24 Old 02-01-2019

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Yes, it's mine, coming from my experiences with snails in my lettuce patch.
Well I'm stealing it. You can't stop me.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #19 of 24 Old 02-01-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Well I'm stealing it. You can't stop me.

He grabs the phrase and runs away at the speed of a snail through a lettuce patch.

Minnesail and dixiedawg like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #20 of 24 Old 02-01-2019
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
He was a bit of a nut but I quite liked him.
He always replied to my emails... But then what else did he have to do floating like a bit of flotsam making whale patterns in the Atlantic?
Well, at least for a little while, a 22 y/o, no?

Damn, I thought this was gonna be a Rimas thread!

Happy 2019 sailnetters!

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in