Drifting with the current. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 02-01-2019
Call me Ishmael

Re: Drifting with the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have no personal experience with the NP gyre, thankfully, but having made the sail from Hawaii to SF twice, I have successfully gone around it. Even back then, it was reputed to have a lot of garbage in it, and there were tales of a few who were stuck without wind and couldn't power for some days because of the garbage.
In my numerous voyages through the Med in the '70s and '80s, I encountered literal 'rivers' of plastic bags. I called the Med southern Europe's garbage can.
This stuff isn't new, it is just getting worse. Lately, however, I have noticed a drastic reduction in the number of stores and markets down here that put their sales in plastic bags; you must have your own or buy the plastic ones at an unreasonably high cost. Some of the take out places have switched from styrofoam containers to cardboard.
So, while the first world talks, some of the third world countries are actually doing something! Good on them.
Buenos Aires Argentina is among those who don't permit free or single use plastic bags. Makes quite a difference and is eminently "do-able". #BanTheBag!
Minnesail likes this.

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 02-02-2019

It is my humble, uneducated and sincere opinion that we are too focused on global warming, and not focused enough on pollution.

Over the last three and a half billion years, mother nature has proven herself quite capable of handling our planet's ever-changing climate. Pollution ... not as much.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-03-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
It is my humble, uneducated and sincere opinion that we are too focused on global warming, and not focused enough on pollution.

Over the last three and a half billion years, mother nature has proven herself quite capable of handling our planet's ever-changing climate. Pollution ... not as much.
Absolutely 1000000% agree with you.
The GW focus allows us to blame big companies... but the pollution focus allowed us to become more vigilant... and be more critical of other countries that pollute the world.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #24 of 24 Old 02-04-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"Results were not as good as expected,"
IIRC the boom broke, the collection was insignificant, and the tug was going to tow the whole thing to Hawaii for...well, let's say disposal if they don't find a way to massively change it. It wasn't up to the basic structural needs to stay in one piece at sea.
I'd call it a massive fail, but even that is a success since it proves "We need a bigger hammer". I'm not sure if the entire concept falls under the heading of "magical thinking" or if it ever could work. Considering the massive amounts of plastic and damage from it found even in places like Wake Island, I wish the guy luck but I don't see the odds.
Maersk wins either way. GREAT PR for a "dirty" industry trying to clean up, and I'm sure 100% tax deductible as either a donation of services, or a marketing expense.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in