Mal de mer - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 02-10-2019

Re: Mal de mer

On a long trip, I have to be careful for the first 4 days (or so).
During that initial 4 days, I must not read when below and when taking a fix at the chart table, I must be rather quick or I will get queasy.
After about 4 days I am OK, and later on, even upside down in the steering compartment does not bother me.

I have noticed that after a long period at sea ( longest ever was 27 days), when we set foot ashore, there is a big counter signal arriving from the old cerebellum (making walking on dry land rather wobbly) and it is that methinks, that has been most effective in ending sea-sickness.

Opinions vary, but when the old cerebellum sees a contradiction between inner ear signal and visual signal, it triggers a nausea reflex to warn you. For some, it can be overwhelming.

For me, as often as I can I close my eyes when below, it seems to help.

I have been fortunate to have sailed with a guy who was absolutely immune to it. He is blessed. It never bothers him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 02-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post

She has found that Bonamine is the most effective drug. Apparently less side effects than others she’s tried. But she mostly avoids all drugs.
Where do you get it? I have a friend who gets pretty seasick but the medicinal cures havent worked so far and Canada seems to have banned every suggested mediation out there...

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late
post #13 of 31 Old 02-11-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
Where do you get it? I have a friend who gets pretty seasick but the medicinal cures havent worked so far and Canada seems to have banned every suggested mediation out there...
Good question … I’ll ask.

She just told me she’s been working off an old supply. Just as you said, it’s no longer for sale in Canada. Not sure why. Apparently it is still for sale in other countries (under different names).

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 31 Old 02-11-2019

Dock

Quote:
Good question … I’ll ask.

She just told me she’s been working off an old supply. Just as you said, it’s no longer for sale in Canada. Not sure why. Apparently it is still for sale in other countries (under different names).
Well, remember that court case last month re the sailor who allegedly hallucinated on one seasickness drug.

So be careful which one, other meds, alcohol etc

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #15 of 31 Old 02-11-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Well, remember that court case last month re the sailor who allegedly hallucinated on one seasickness drug.

So be careful which one, other meds, alcohol etc
So true Mark, especially if you’re a single-hander. Without another human on board to counter any false thinking, it must be doubly dangerous.

I’m luck in that I’m not easily sucesseptical to motion sickness. I have felt it though. I don’t think anyone is 100% impervious, but some of us are less prone to it than others.

With regard to that sad story, I stopped following the news a while ago. Is this what they figured happened; hallucination induced by some sort of drugs? I recall speculation about exhaustion as well. How sad…

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #16 of 31 Old 02-11-2019

Dock

Quote:

With regard to that sad story, I stopped following the news a while ago. Is this what they figured happened; hallucination induced by some sort of drugs? I recall speculation about exhaustion as well. How sad…
It was never resolved.
The court case was stopped on a 'technicality' and the skipper exonerated.

A judgement on the whole trial would have been great on so many points.
MikeOReilly and Minnesail like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #17 of 31 Old 02-11-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpdiver View Post
Capta,

Thanks for the feed back. That kind of agrees with my perception. While not having sailed much I have done plenty of time on diving vessels. My personal observation is that too many people fight it for too long and fee much better after purging.

To that end we sometimes would use chunky soup at "fake" vomit, those fighting would be on the rail and they would typically be joined by all the others struggling and all felt at least marginally better after.

I know...we were so wrong as dive masters...

LPd
3'-5' seas are much different on a dive boat than on a sailboat over 30'. I'm "purging" my brains out on a dive boat if I'm not on Bonine or Dramamine. Never had a problem when sailing in any type of weather....totally different motion to me. Being at the helm definitely seems to help my crew if they are having any symptoms.

S/V..... Between sailboats for the moment.
post #18 of 31 Old 02-11-2019 Thread Starter

Rockter,

I have had only a few motion induced episodes myself and the second worse was on dry land after a month long stint in the Gulf on Mexico. We were working on an oil rig and most of the work was near the surface so we had to anchor and stand by when ever the waves exceded six foot, about 90% of the time. Upon returning and in my recliner on evening my world started spinning. It took about ten minutes to get my word right.

The worst was once in four foot of water one ear would not clear and I got alternobaric vertigo, cleared ears finally and went away immediately.

The other time was in the Gulf below decks in my cabin working on underwater camera and the sloshing of the diesel in the tanks and motion got to me.

Never anything major.

LPd
post #19 of 31 Old 02-12-2019

My Wife would get seasick looking at a water color painting. She says she was invariably motion sick , vomit, in cars as a child. As an adult she could drive but when riding it was a bad experience. Twisty roads would really get her.

Fast forward decades of me dragging her around and she still has issues but we are now live aboards hanging in the hook in rolly Carribean anchorages. She HATES overnights, says she needs time to reset herself. But she’s probably got well over 10,000 miles now.

She has tried everything (except helming, but that is now changing) and now has a “stew” that works pretty well. Itnturns our a lot of this stuff is also used to treat Nash’s from chemo and other medical issues.

1-She wears a “Relief Band”. It’s an electronic wrist stimulation that can be adjusted as needed. They cost about $110. Non-prescription.

2-Before a passage she uses a Scopolomine Patch (available in Canada and USA with prescription). It’s not for all, read side effects. One patch lasts 3 days. Scope will work even if not used until seasickness has set in.

3-Sturgeron, availability varies by country, she buys it in the Carribean. For her this works well if she is pressed by conditions. BE CAREFUL. It comes in 15mg and 75mg doses. Use the 15. At first she just asked for Stugeron and they sold her 75’s, over dosing can bring on Parkinson’s like symptoms which can take up to a year to subside. It affected her balance and walking, but she has recovered. Now she is careful to use the 15’s sparingly, which appears to be OK.

Bonine does some good when things are not too bouncy.

A lot of OTC seasick meds are just antihistamines with some speed to keep you from falling asleep.

Aclimitization is a big thing. Just being “on the hook” goes a long way to help her. If we are on a dock she will loose it. She also gets “land sick” but that seems to be lessening. At least she is griping less.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 02-12-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter

Wow,

Thanks everyone for all of you sincere replies. I fully expected a few snarky comments along the lines of what the hell are you thinking,
living on a boat with someone prone to motion illness.

In the upcoming months we will experiment with the different treatments to make sure she can tolerate them and what side effects may pop up. In her case anxiety certainly play a role as well as what ever triggers migraine headaches. She used to suffer with migraines that occurred with the precision of an atomic clock that were directly tied to her period; but, that ship has already left port so to speak.

Not much pushes her anxiety button; but, when it does... We went to a water park that had a slide where you climb 100 feet up and stand on a trap door that drops you into a near vertical slide. She accompanied my daughter and I to the top and was a bit hesitant. In the end she was too embarrassed and lazy to walk down the stairs. Apparently she passed out on the way down and was awakened by the water at the bottom. She was very disoriented and developed a killer migraine. The other event she was flying to her mother's funeral and apparently passed out and pee herself. Note to self to monitor her level of anxiety and defuse any insipient issues.

Scopolamine works well for her. Did you guys know that scopolamine is called Devils Breath (burundanga) in Colombia and is apparently used to drug and rob folks? So yes the side effects are there in high doses.

Again, thanks for all of the sincere replies. I feel less apprehensive and more confident that we can manage this issue.

LPd

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in