Cruising from US to Bahamas and south Boat Documents needed? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 03-01-2019

Re: Cruising from US to Bahamas and south Boat Documents needed?

To clarify my point, one only needs the former document aboard, if it was formerly documented.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 03-03-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
In our case, we ARE the owners of the boat. Backed up with a notarized CG bill of sale, and a notarized letter from the previous owners describing the situation (and insurance certificates in our name, if they needed more). The documentation was current for the boat. Putting our names on the forms as owners was truthful and legal. Doing otherwise would have been illegal.

It isn't really possible/practical to get new CG documentation in the Caribe during a US government shutdown. Even during normal operations, it often isn't possible to Fedex the required documents to the CG and get the new documentation back before one's cruising permit expires and they need to leave the country with the boat. This was our case - the boat's cruising permit was expiring in a week, and it had already used up its extensions.

Mark
Have you considered writing up a document stating all the info you have imparted here and going to a consulate or Embassy and getting some kind of official stamp on it?
Last I checked the greedy bastar*s wanted $50.00US for a notary stamp, but it might be worth it. I'd do it for free, but my notary has expired.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 29 Old 03-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Have you considered writing up a document stating all the info you have imparted here and going to a consulate or Embassy and getting some kind of official stamp on it?
Last I checked the greedy bastar*s wanted $50.00US for a notary stamp, but it might be worth it. I'd do it for free, but my notary has expired.
The CG Bill of Sale has been officially notarized. The note explaining the situation has been officially notarized. The documentation for the boat is current and official. Our insurance certificate is current and official.

I don't see how getting yet another official notarization on all of the above would help any.

Besides, we have been through 3 countries with the above with no problems. Our next stop is the USA, which didn't have any issue with us or the documentation we have when we stopped in the USVI.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #24 of 29 Old 03-04-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Last I'd heard, if you applied for USCG documentation AND you asked them to expedite the processing because you were leaving port for foreign waters, they had a procedure to do so.

Call them to enquire.
post #25 of 29 Old 03-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
When I cleared into the Bahamas a few weeks ago the customs agent didn’t even glance at my state registration.....just checked that I had filled out their forms completely, stamped my passport, and collected my $150 fee.
Ouch! Is it that expensive everywhere in the Caribbean?
post #26 of 29 Old 03-30-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottelly View Post
Ouch! Is it that expensive everywhere in the Caribbean?
No. The Bahamas are the most expensive by far. I thought it was $300?
The Caribbean is good. $20 here and there, a bit more in places.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #27 of 29 Old 03-30-2019

Bahamas
-35 is $150
+35 is $300
Initially good for 3 months and can be renewed twice...another 3 months then another 2 months...8 months max..no cost to renew...includes fishing permit

Gov prefers renewals to be done with immigration dept but can be done with customs. They are 2 different agencies. Not all islands have immigration office.

So...
Could be considered expensive if a short stay but not so for a long visit

Look at BVIs and redefine expensive.
Add up another countrys 'small fees' and multiple x countries visited.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
No. The Bahamas are the most expensive by far. I thought it was $300?
The Caribbean is good. $20 here and there, a bit more in places.

Mark
More than a bit more - and the Bahamas are not the most expensive. The French islands are definitely inexpensive, but Grenada is ~$300/yr. If staying more than one month, the BVI's are also $300, as stated previously, plus the costs of moorings in most places. St. Martin is going to get up close to $300 in anchoring fees if staying more than a couple of weeks. Curacao is $300. Turks and Caicos are $400. Central and South America countries are around $300/yr, give or take $50 depending on country. Much of the rest of the Eastern Caribe is going to cost $100-$150 - such as Trinidad, St. Vincent/Grenadines, Dominican Republic, etc - and that isn't including port or mooring/anchoring fees.

Jamaica is free, as is US, USVI, and Puerto Rico, and the Caymans are nominal.

I don't have experience with countries outside those surrounding the Caribbean Sea.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #29 of 29 Old 03-30-2019

I cleared into the BVI this winter, with 4 aboard a 51 ft sailboat. $465. Breathtaking. Twice what it was two years earlier in a 45ft sailboat. It's not out of the question I was ripped off.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in