Cruising from US to Bahamas and south Boat Documents needed? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 02-24-2019 Thread Starter

Cruising from US to Bahamas and south Boat Documents needed?

I have a question for the forum. I just purchased a sailboat in Georgia and wish to visit the Bahamas and islands south. I currently only have the USCG bill of sale. What ship documents are necessary when entering other countries? I would hate to have to wait for Coast Guard documents to depart on a two month trip due to hurricane season. Thanks for any info and advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-24-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Cruising from US to Bahamas and south Boat Documents needed?

I've heard one can travel internationally on a state registration, however, I'd check with a documentation service and see if they can't expedite a document for you.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 29 Old 02-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've heard one can travel internationally on a state registration, however, I'd check with a documentation service and see if they can't expedite a document for you.
One issue we've encountered is that some state registrations do not mention the boat's name. That seems to be a major obstacle for checking in (at least in the eastern med). The Delaware registration does mention the name of the boat and is more easily accepted. So if you decide to use state registration, you may want to look into this.
capta likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

post #4 of 29 Old 02-24-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
One issue we've encountered is that some state registrations do not mention the boat's name. That seems to be a major obstacle for checking in (at least in the eastern med). The Delaware registration does mention the name of the boat and is more easily accepted. So if you decide to use state registration, you may want to look into this.
Not having owned any vessel state registered but an 18' Mako (on which I did not do too much international traveling), I hadn't thought of that fact, but it makes sense.
I stand corrected.
donahue62 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #5 of 29 Old 02-24-2019

We are doing just this right now. What we have is the CG bill of sale, the current boat document with the previous owners names on it, and a notarized letter from the previous owners stating that we have their authority to operate the boat (even though it is our boat now).

So far from Antigua, to St. Thomas, to the Bahamas, we have gone into customs/immigration and handed them the boat documentation only - no bill of sale or owner letter - and have been checked in with no questions asked. We fill out all forms with our names as owners of the boat. Strange because our names are not on the documentation, but that's the way it has been going so far.

YMMV.

Mark
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #6 of 29 Old 02-24-2019

We have travelled down as far as Grenada and have never been asked for anything more than the USCG registration and passports. I would bring a fistful of good color photo copies of the registration. Some places don’t have copiers, in the DR pencils and carbon paper seem precious. We have never been approached for a bribe.

My guess is it would be good to have USCG registration as that is most common. The rare official is suspicious and/or unsure of messing with his good government job. Make it as normal as possible to avoid mishaps.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 02-24-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 02-24-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We fill out all forms with our names as owners of the boat. Strange because our names are not on the documentation, but that's the way it has been going so far. Mark
I was in line @ customs in Bequia when the customs officer saw this discrepancy between the forms and the document on the forms of the guy in front of me. He had entered his name as owner, but the document said it was someone else as owner (his son). It cost him a huge fine (lying on the form) and he had to redo the paperwork.
On the other hand, I once checked out of Bequia, which means dealing with both a customs [B]and[B] immigration officer, then checked into St. Lucia, again a customs and immigration officer, plus a port authority official, and I had accidentally put the wrong month on the form. None noticed and neither did I until I got back to the boat!
As they say, 'you pays your money and takes your chances'.
I always wear a collared, buttoned shirt, real shorts (except Trinidad where shorts are not allowed in customs or immigration, for men or women), and real shoes when clearing in or out, as I believe it shows a level of respect that a T-shirt, swim trunks/board shorts and flip flops do not. I have made a few mistakes, like forgetting an outbound clearance (I left it on the port authority officer's desk in St Lucia) and they cleared me into Bequia w/o any problems, and I believe that perhaps the lack of hassles was because of how I always dressed up for them. I think they notice.
zeehag likes this.

post #8 of 29 Old 02-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I was in line @ customs in Bequia when the customs officer saw this discrepancy between the forms and the document on the forms of the guy in front of me. He had entered his name as owner, but the document said it was someone else as owner (his son). It cost him a huge fine (lying on the form) and he had to redo the paperwork.
In our case, we ARE the owners of the boat. Backed up with a notarized CG bill of sale, and a notarized letter from the previous owners describing the situation (and insurance certificates in our name, if they needed more). The documentation was current for the boat. Putting our names on the forms as owners was truthful and legal. Doing otherwise would have been illegal.

It isn't really possible/practical to get new CG documentation in the Caribe during a US government shutdown. Even during normal operations, it often isn't possible to Fedex the required documents to the CG and get the new documentation back before one's cruising permit expires and they need to leave the country with the boat. This was our case - the boat's cruising permit was expiring in a week, and it had already used up its extensions.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #9 of 29 Old 02-24-2019

State regist will have HIN.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-24-2019

Dock

When I cleared into the Bahamas a few weeks ago the customs agent didn’t even glance at my state registration.....just checked that I had filled out their forms completely, stamped my passport, and collected my $150 fee.

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in