Caribbean, What works and doesn't - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 141 Old 03-12-2019

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Thanks for the articles. Other than the headline, it wasn't very informative.. It just makes a claim and doesn't even say by how much. I've found the citation, which is a brutal read, but I'm on my second pass. It says 15 thousandths of a degree per year and it makes correlation to precipitation rates. It also seems the Caribbean is somewhat unique from general equitorial experience, which is exactly what I was asking. It may even be warming fast than global averages.

I certainly understand the inter-dynamics of these variables. Ironically, I read the 'if you believe in science' retort as a preloaded argument, if anyone even appears not to be at the alter by asking questions. I'm no denier. I'm trying to understand, because I assume we're doomed. I just hope to pull off my retirement plan first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 141 Old 03-12-2019

I think you are ďsafeĒ in that you will die of something else first. Now what that something else might be and how closely itís lurking are interesting questions! My bet is our life expenfancey here is better than it was there.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #103 of 141 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
All one has to do is google, sea temp raise to see that sea temperatures are raising hence more violent Hurricanes in the past 10 years down here. Unless you don't believe in science which there are plenty that do not.
https://eos.org/research-spotlights/...-the-caribbean Just one such article. With sea temperature raise comes climate change. It is what I believe, your mileage may vary.
Oops, I didn't see your post when I linked to the same article. Sorry.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #104 of 141 Old 03-13-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Well based on purely empirical data the sea is a little warmer and the winter winds are a little less ferocious

The 'Christmas winds' were not as long or as strong as they have been in the past.

Life in the Caribbean is good.
post #105 of 141 Old 03-14-2019

Where are you?
Itís interesting that some would say both kite season and Xmas winds have disappeared just like the shoulder seasons have gotten all mixed up on the east coast.
With more weather coming off the east coast there are more opportunities for the trades to be blocked.
Iíve thought Xmas winds were a manifestation of settled weather on the east coast so nothing was blocking the trades. Therefore the leewards saw the same wind strengths as the windwards during those times. Would appreciate a more knowledgeable explanation from someone with more expertise.
I did use the Genoa up there but it hasnít been unrolled yet down here given it hasnít been necessary.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #106 of 141 Old 03-15-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Where am I ? currently in Guadeloupe having just completed a circumnavigation [of Guadeloupe].

I spend my time wandering from Trinidad to St Marten.
SanderO likes this.
post #107 of 141 Old 03-16-2019

For those cruising the windwards all winter (or year for that matter), what works with respect to Customs and Immigration? I've never had to clear more than 2 countries on any given trip. I'm trying to imagine what it's like to have to clear at almost every island one hops to. I'm curious about fees, but more curious about the hassle. I was just watching a vlog of a boat that left one island, got 100 miles away on another and realized they needed to go back fro something. The vlog didn't mention clearing out from where they were and back into where they had just left, then out again. I wonder how many flaunt the rules, which is not my style.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #108 of 141 Old 03-16-2019

Sailclear and eclear have made things easier. The French islands are a breeze as you go to a computer (usually in a chandlery) and fill out a form. Save your print out and copy it for the next one so you don’t have to deal with the weird French to English translations. You are clearing into France with those. Found windwards much easier than leewards. Worst was BVIs. Went back and forth from USVI and St. Martin. Every time we reentered BVI cost was different.
Cost isn’t a concern in the windwards. Trivial c/w leewards. Will have to “import” boat to St.Lucia for $30 US as we’ll be off the boat for a few weeks.
Have learned to clear out the day before wherever you are. It’s good for 24h so allows you to leave at the time of day you want. Usually leave at dawn or earlier so don’t want to wait for offices to open. Sometimes leave at dusk in order to make landfall at dawn or mid day. Then clear morning of leaving.
Would suggest buying all your curtesy flags at once. Would suggest being spot on about using your Q flag. Have heard horror stories concerning those who tried to game out of clearing.
Melrna likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #109 of 141 Old 03-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For those cruising the windwards all winter (or year for that matter), what works with respect to Customs and Immigration? I've never had to clear more than 2 countries on any given trip. I'm trying to imagine what it's like to have to clear at almost every island one hops to. I'm curious about fees, but more curious about the hassle. I was just watching a vlog of a boat that left one island, got 100 miles away on another and realized they needed to go back fro something. The vlog didn't mention clearing out from where they were and back into where they had just left, then out again. I wonder how many flaunt the rules, which is not my style.
I presume things have changed. When I was floating about done there in the 90s I would clear in and stay for a spell. But I often did not clear in if I had recently and was doing an overnight before heading on to another island... island hopping. Probably illegal but that is what I did. I spent a lot of time in English Harbor but was away for months at a time and so I did clear back in when I returned. If I sailed to Deshais for the weekend I didn't clear out or back in.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #110 of 141 Old 03-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....Worst was BVIs. Went back and forth from USVI and St. Martin. Every time we reentered BVI cost was different......
Thanks for the run down. All good to hear.

You are spot on with the BVIs. Not only a different price each time, but the regression line it clearly pointing upward. I cleared in this winter, with a crew of 4 on a 51ft boat. $465. Two years ago, I recall something in the $200 range.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in