Pilot charts
Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaBoy For This Useful Post:
TDStewart (03-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 03-19-2019

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

A few weeks ago I arrived in Dehais late, could find no reasonable anchorage, so I anchored a couple of miles South at Ferry Point beach. Police boat came by and checked on us. I told him my stor and said I would clear in in the am. OK.

In St Eustis (sp?) we were boarded by the Dutch CG who asked for all our papers and did a safety inspection. Gave us a warning for out of date flares and fire extinguishers.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
The Following User Says Thank You to hpeer For This Useful Post:
Jasoncstyle (03-19-2019)
post #123 of 141 Old 03-20-2019
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Good reading. Havent been, yet. Here is a good link for PILOT CHARTS>
Pilot charts
Kevin

Kevin -WOW -- THANKS and yea I am yelling -- we were looking for something like this and you made our search easy - we are leaving Egypt some time in late May headed north and a lot of the folks say no no go east via Greece then Corinth Canal instead of sailing into the wind -

With you help we just saw we got 30% north winds and then some westerlies so as long as we don't leave on a north wind we got a great shot at a 800nm sail without the wind on our nose -

Let's hear it for data over maybeees .

Thanks

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

post #124 of 141 Old 03-20-2019

Have a question.
Boats going to be hauled at Clarke’s Court In Grenada on May 31th. My USCG documentation expires May 31 th.
Between then and now I’ll be in the states for 2 weeks. Leaving the boat in St. Lucia.
I go to the web and it says.
You can renew your documentation for multiple years.
If you renew earlier then 60 days they will move up the date for renewals to match the month you requested renewal.
We have a US mailing address but no way to get the actual physical paper when in the Caribbean.
When you attempt to renew on the internet the only option is one year although the instructions say you can do multiple years. The pay.gov doesn’t allow it.
The government site says you can get expedited renewal but gives no way to do it via web.
Has anyone run into this problem?
How did you handle it.
Phone calls direct you to the website. No live human voice.
Argggg....

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #125 of 141 Old 03-20-2019

Can't you have the certificate/renewal send to your address in the States and have someone forward it to you at a Caribbean Address c/o boat yard. broker etc.? What is the issue... someone asks for the current certificate and you have to tell them it was renewed and you are waiting for it in the mail? Reproduce the order / and payment and show it to the official.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #126 of 141 Old 03-20-2019

Out, I just renewed my USCG documentation. It also expires in May, but I renewed in March. I did not notice, until your post made me look, but the new Doc now says it expires in April. That sucks.

For what it's worth, it took 6 days for my new doc to arrive in the mail, with no expedited request.

There is no clear option for multiple years, but in another thread (I can't find it right now), someone indicated how to request multiple years for your Doc. Something like putting it in the comment section or just paying too much and they know what to do. Weird. My hesitancy for doing so is some language that says they are not refundable. I couldn't tell if that meant you sell your boat and lose the remainder. May be worth it, in your situation.

If you're hauling before it expires, what's the big deal anyway? Just bring the new one back down with you. Sad to hear you won't have a boat up north this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-20-2019 at 06:53 AM.
post #127 of 141 Old 03-20-2019

When you leave a boat in a yard or marina they want to see
Insurance
Documentation
Most wont accept anything but originals not photo copies.
Most want to see they are valid for the period the vessel is on their premises.
Some islands require you temporarily “import” the boat for the period of time you aren’t physically on the boat. I did this yesterday in St.Lucia in preparation for leaving for just a couple of weeks.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #128 of 141 Old 03-20-2019

Just check into Grenada before May 31. Once in, and hauled out, the CG documentation is meaningless until checking out again, or checking into a new country.

So you have lots of time to renew your documentation before you return to the boat.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #129 of 141 Old 03-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....Most want to see they are valid for the period the vessel is on their premises.......
That seems like an odd rule, when some boats down there stay on the hard for years, while being sold. If you're in a jam, you have plenty of time to get the boat renewed. You don't need the renewal notice, just go online to the NVDC and have at it. Perhaps there is someone at home who can fedex it down to a local post office or the marina, if you trust them.

edit: Is there a FedEx office on the island? That may be a good place to ship it for pickup.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-20-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #130 of 141 Old 03-20-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
When you attempt to renew on the internet the only option is one year although the instructions say you can do multiple years. The pay.gov doesn’t allow it.
I saw the same thing last week when I renewed mine. I figure they just have not gotten the site updated to allow the multi year renewal. I read some other thread that you have to mail it in to do the multi year.

I figured they will have corrected next year and just went ahead and did my annual renewal online.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in