Caribbean, What works and doesn't - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 141 Old 03-22-2019

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Can you have it mailed to your yard? That’s what we do at Grenada Marine. Unless you don’t have anyone to forward it.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 141 Old 03-22-2019

A bit off topic. I’ve been noticing that I keep running past the same boats in every anchorage. It got me thinking, just how many American/Canadian boats are actively cruising down here? I think it’s less than it seems. We come into a new harbor and see a bunch of boats and think “Wow, lots of folks cruising.” But a lot are locals/charters/Europeans. And then we keep seeing the same boats over and over again.

I’m starting to think there are no more than maybe 300 in all the Eastern Caribbean, if you limit it to North Americans.

Am I about right or way off?

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #133 of 141 Old 03-23-2019
No more curry buffets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Mel, do you (or anyone else) ever use a bridle to pull the dinghy half way up the topside, via a mast halyard? Seems a common anti-theft approach.

I've never done it, rather I pull it up the davits, when I'm concerned. However, it is more of an exercise than I'd like and wonder if a bridle and halyard is quicker/easier.
I don't have davits. When I want to get the boat out of the water at night time I have the spin halyard preset at about 4 feet above decks, and I have an old mainsheet pulley system hooked to that that I use to haul the dinghy out. 6 good pulls on the mainsheet has the boat up level with the rail.
Minnewaska likes this.

Bashing about on Lake Ontario and Beyond
"Sayonara" '91 Beneteau 38S5

post #134 of 141 Old 03-24-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
A bit off topic. Iíve been noticing that I keep running past the same boats in every anchorage. It got me thinking, just how many American/Canadian boats are actively cruising down here? I think itís less than it seems. We come into a new harbor and see a bunch of boats and think ďWow, lots of folks cruising.Ē But a lot are locals/charters/Europeans. And then we keep seeing the same boats over and over again.

Iím starting to think there are no more than maybe 300 in all the Eastern Caribbean, if you limit it to North Americans.

Am I about right or way off?

Yes, youre probably pretty right.

The Bahamas are very different, but south from there its not as many boats as we perceive.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #135 of 141 Old 03-24-2019

Think itís more than 300. Think thereís three populations.
Those going back and forth to North America or Europe.
Those going up and down from Grenada/Trinidad.
Those passaging through on the way to/from Panama or following the North Atlantic gyre.
Think each group may vary their travels by a week or two but basically travel as a herd. Think this is due to weather windows but also by the need to be out of the zone or on the hard by hurricane season or cross oceans in season.
Agree I definitely saw the same boats over and over again in the leewards. And now the same in the windwards. Suspect it would be the same in the Bahamas of which I have limited experience. But also believe itís three different clusters with a fourth cluster for true transients just passing through.
Hence, even not counting charters think itís a lot more than 300. Hell, I have a whole draw committed to boat cards and Iím pretty antisocial.
Melrna likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #136 of 141 Old 03-24-2019

Would say Iím struck by how few Americans there are given our numbers and proximity. Although there are much fewer Canadians then Americans Canadians seem to be in the Caribbean in equal numbers. Although Europe means crossing the Atlantic they seem to exceed the number of Americans. In short us Americans seem to be either wimps or caught up by other demands or not interested. Wonder whatís up with that. Itís not uncommon to see a young non American couple out cruising but an American young couple or family is rare.
Melrna and MarkofSeaLife like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #137 of 141 Old 03-24-2019

Dock

Oh, and remember that boats completing a circumnavigation during any year are thought to be less than 100 total of all nationalities.

From speaking to Americans I do get the idea they prefer countries where everyone speaks English. Canadians often have a bit of French and are not so worried about going to Europe, but there is definitely fewer (outright) Canadian flags than US.

There is always some Scandinavian boat, often small boats with young couples on board, or the Halberg Rassy brigade.

Aussies are everywhere because we are drunk and looking for cheap beer.

French only go to places that speak French, but that includes a lot of the Caribbean and the Pacific.

But by the time any boat has done 2 full oceans (No, "crossing the Atlantic" is NOT Florida to Nassau!!) it doesn't matter what nationality they have, they're all cruisers and are likely to be good company in any anchorage and helpful to any boat with the slightest problem.

Oh, and, ummmmm, yes, Americans still have the biggest flags. By far.

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

post #138 of 141 Old 03-24-2019

Mark would you agree the French are the lease likely to mingle or to be helpful. This seems to strike me as true even when on a Spanish speaking island. Have found the Germans, Italians and even the Russians to be more engaging. So far the Aussies and kiwis are the friendliest. The Brits stiff but with a little effort become most pleasant when they realize you donít want anything from them.
Gross exaggerations with many exceptions but feel the French are currently the ďugly Americans ď.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #139 of 141 Old 03-24-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Mark would you agree the French are the lease likely to mingle or to be helpful.
Yes. They are the most compartmentalised. They appear to have great fear of speaking English though they all learn it at school. They also believe the stuff about 'all French are arrogant' so they try desperately not to be arrogant by not interacting as much lol.

And there's a litany of theft stories in the Caribbean supposedly by French cruisers.

So yeah they're a bit behind the 8 ball compared to most countries.

In France they are the microcosm of their surrounding countries not to speak English fluently without fear.

But I like them a lot once the ice is broken.

Sea Life

post #140 of 141 Old 03-24-2019 Thread Starter
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Mark would you agree the French are the lease likely to mingle or to be helpful. This seems to strike me as true even when on a Spanish speaking island. Have found the Germans, Italians and even the Russians to be more engaging. So far the Aussies and kiwis are the friendliest. The Brits stiff but with a little effort become most pleasant when they realize you don’t want anything from them.
Gross exaggerations with many exceptions but feel the French are currently the “ugly Americans “.
I'm presently in Martinique. Been here 10 days.. Not seen one french cruiser be friendly.. Canadian yes, German yes, Swedish yes. American boats in over a 1000 boats here, only seen 3 with USA flagged. But that is just a quick look around as I dinghy past boats. Granted most boats here are charter boats. I think I found out why Lagoon and FP are making a killing. Dang there is ton of catamarans here.. I think the entire production line is here including the big boats over 65'..
La Marin has the biggest ship technical shops I have ever since to include Annapolis and Newport. These boys not only fix anything but know their craft.. Very impressive. Getting a lot of work done here to include new dinghy davit tower made. Total cost for a new Tower to include solar panel mounting and antenna array.... $3500...Will probably sell my old dinghy davits for about $500 so maybe total cost 3 boat bucks.
Dinghy will get repair as well as my autopilot serviced. They fix things here not buy new and replace.
Bad thing about the French islands,, French wine, French cooking, French Bread, French cheese- my waistline is not happy with me. I am becoming an addict.
The town is very friendly vs the cruisers it seems. We try to speak French with a translator but everyone helps us. We like it here and St Anne.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Melissa Renee
Moondance
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 03-24-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in