LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 141 Old 03-04-2019
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Welcome back Melissa!
Melrna likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 141 Old 03-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Stainless steel chain, separate lock on engine (that’s what they want) and raise it. Keep the dinghy. No T/T on dinghy decreases risk of break in to main vessel. We even removed our ols state numbers as well.
I have a SS sheathed wire cable, but rarely ever use it. Only a few times have I locked up the dink on a bareboat, to the transom overnight. The cable can clunk around all night, in sportier conditions. I have used mine on the rarest occasion in New England, but only at relatively abandon dinghy docks in bigger cities.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 141 Old 03-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
.....My cruising days are getting numbered due to health concerns. So might not be worth it especially if this is my last season. Time will tell.......
I'm very sorry to hear this. It's all of our biggest concern. 5 years is simply not enough. Hope the issues are manageable.

I keep telling myself that I can be happy just hopping around New England in good weather windows, when the longer distance cruising days are over. I'd prefer to be that exception that can stay out longer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #34 of 141 Old 03-04-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Stainless steel chain, separate lock on engine (that’s what they want) and raise it. Keep the dinghy. No T/T on dinghy decreases risk of break in to main vessel. We even removed our ols state numbers as well.
If someone wants your dink and it isn't on davits or aboard, then they will take it in just a few seconds with a set of bolt cutters, SS chain or not! I've found a better option is rigging wire (1X19), which is much harder to cut quickly (if at all) with bolt cutters. It is bulky and a pain, but it will do the job.
But most of the dinghy theft down here is for the motor, not the dinghy. Quite often the dink is found motorless rather quickly. If the whole thing goes missing, I'd be checking the outbound sailing boats, not the locals, and that's where having some prominent form of ID on the dink will be theft prevention.
However, I'm fairly convinced that a goodly number of the dinghies reported stolen were poorly tied to the boat and not stolen at all, especially among those who close the pub night after night.
I think, as painful as it might be to believe, there is a lot more boater on boater theft than local on boater than most suspect.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 03-04-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #35 of 141 Old 03-04-2019
Learning the HARD way...

This is a great discussion and I am glad to see that Melrna is back!
Melrna likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #36 of 141 Old 03-04-2019

I’m pretty sure there is hardened chain that is nearly impossible to cut with bolt cutters. Bet most chain is easily cut, however. I understand that cable is harder to cut, because it tends to spread out and distribute the force. That’s what we use. I still think the determined can get through it. However, slowing them down or making it difficult is generally all it takes, especially if they’re messing around, with you sleeping aboard.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #37 of 141 Old 03-04-2019

Security chain is formed so that cutters dont get an easy bite...is too much bite for them. The rockwell is greater than the cutters
Cable needs special shears to be cut cleanly
post #38 of 141 Old 03-05-2019
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Should mention like the low band width gribs on passage weather. Can get weather downloaded in a tenth of the time then with all the pretty colors and other unnecessary junk on the other sites. Helpful when WiFi is limited or you’re stuck using sat phone or SSB.
We have been using our ssb for that for a long time. Just had to renew my 10yr ham license. And it works almost everywhere if you can find a station. in the Carib we had no trouble and when we crossed we used a couple of stations in Canada and one in Fla all the way to Horta except for the last day. We downloaded twice a day. When we did the Black Sea we had a 3 day from Russia to Odessa and had a major front coming at us so we again downloaded twice a day just in case the front came in early and we had run and hide. We used stations in Germany and Switzerland (yea be beat it by 18 hours - it came in with 50+ winds) - When we leave Egypt we will use it for a Med crossing as we head north.

The question is if we cross back this year will we get a sat phone in Gib or just rely on our ssb. we'll see. As a winlink operator we love it but sometimes finding a station on our long distance is an issue but can be overcome with work and patience - love our ssb

There is one thing we do - we record the next 5-7 days in a notebook-- we record wind, wind direction and pressure - we then watch to see if there are changes and prepare according - does 5-7 out really mean anything - well I would not take it to Vegas but it is an indication but what is important are the changes over time and by recording we can see if we got something coming and how we can avoid it
Minnesail likes this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

Last edited by chuck5499; 03-05-2019 at 03:55 AM.
post #39 of 141 Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Should mention like the low band width gribs on passage weather..
I never realized they had this feature. Just went to their site to see how it worked. Pretty cool. Thanks.

On related note, I find the WeatherTracker app on my iphone/ipad to be fairly low bandwidth and able to download a file with the most marginal cell or wifi coverage. The kind of coverage that won't allow full webpages to download.
SanderO likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #40 of 141 Old 03-06-2019

Chuck wrote:

Quote:
. There is one thing we do - we record the next 5-7 days in a notebook-- we record wind, wind direction and pressure - we then watch to see if there are changes and prepare according - does 5-7 out really mean anything - well I would not take it to Vegas but it is an indication but what is important are the changes over time and by recording we can see if we got something coming and how we can avoid it
That’s why I like Weathetrack application among other reasons. Personally I like to watch the TREND the weather is following. Is it getting consistently stronger, weaker? With windfinder the tribe are saved until you ditch them. Then I can go back and see what the forecast was a cullenif days ago.

It also has this “metro tram” function where when you pick a point it gives you a 10 day run of all parameters for that point. Including CAPE and wave height. It is missing wave period, which I get from bouy weather. Bouy weather now has 2 models. GDS and LOLA, but I’ve no idea what that is. It generally shows significantly more wind and wave than GFS. I find it is shows, rough average, slightly more wind than we actually get. But the GFS wave forecast is more realistic. If all I looked at was Bouyweather LOLA I would never go out!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in