Caribbean, What works and doesn't - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 141 Old 03-06-2019

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

I (almost) always use 2 feathers to the dink. Towing or when tied to the mothership. The ONE time I didnít, I had just reattached the main painter to the short bridle, which I had just replaced, which I use on the Porta-Boat. I forgot the secondary tether. The bridle knot worked loose over night and the dink floated off. I got a call in the morning a couple of local St Eustis fishermen found out dink a mile or 2 off and brought it back to us. I got some well deserved ribbing in the harbor that afternoon.

What a lucky guy I am!!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 141 Old 03-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I (almost) always use 2 feathers to the dink. Towing or when tied to the mothership. The ONE time I didnít, I had just reattached the main painter to the short bridle, which I had just replaced, which I use on the Porta-Boat. I forgot the secondary tether. The bridle knot worked loose over night and the dink floated off. I got a call in the morning a couple of local St Eustis fishermen found out dink a mile or 2 off and brought it back to us. I got some well deserved ribbing in the harbor that afternoon.

What a lucky guy I am!!
Our dink has a line to the bow eye, It's quite long. When we tow we use a Davis towing bridle with a float. It uses webbing and is shackled to the 2 towing rings. This bridle is then attached to a 50' braid on braid line with a large shackle knotted to its center. For towing one end is tied to a stbd stern cleat the other to a port stern cleat. The line from the bow eye is a security line with no tension on it tied to a cleat or the pushpit. The towing lines can be use to *trim* the dink to tow it in the optimal position... for wave train. The tow is about 20-30' and set to NOT be on the back (aft) side of the wave. When anchoring or coming along side the lines are pulled in so the tow is short...a few feet from the stern.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #43 of 141 Old 03-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5499 View Post
Everyone has their favorities ours are Windyty, WIndfinder, Windguru, Passage Weather and gribs from our ssb.
I'm always amused at the discussions and debates around which are the best weather apps. Most don't seem to understand that they are ALL using the same forecast models, and are ALL identical, except for how they present those data graphically.

The only one I'm aware of that uses proprietary models is Passage Weather, and I have yet to see their proprietary models have any relationship to reality. Their GFS and ECW models, however, are exactly the same as every other app, program, and website uses.

They are also the same models Chris Parker uses for his forecasts. What you are getting with Parker is a few additional pieces of data one might not have bandwidth for like synoptic charts, radar and satellite data, a much wider weather view and historic trends, etc - but more importantly, a trained weather forecaster's interpretation of all these data.

Like Chuck, we make our own forecasts, and then compare with Chris's. Over the years, this training has made us pretty competent at weather forecasting, and has been well worth the price.

Mark
chuck5499, Melrna and SanderO like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

post #44 of 141 Old 03-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've found a better option is rigging wire (1X19), which is much harder to cut quickly (if at all) with bolt cutters. It is bulky and a pain, but it will do the job.
1x19 is very stiff. How do you terminate it since it can't be easily formed into an eye? How do you store it in the dinghy or elsewhere, since it doesn't coil very tightly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'm fairly convinced that a goodly number of the dinghies reported stolen were poorly tied to the boat and not stolen at all, especially among those who close the pub night after night.
I think, as painful as it might be to believe, there is a lot more boater on boater theft than local on boater than most suspect.
Agreed. I have slowly come to the opinion over the past 10yrs of missing dink reports that most have gone walkabout due to incompetence, and the rest have been stolen by other cruisers. I've seen other cruisers stealing stuff - and think it is a much bigger problem than acknowledged. Too easy to blame locals, and cruising thieves are counting on that. Personally, I guesstimate only 10-15% are local thefts, and that is highly dependent on cruising grounds - 0% in the Bahamas outside of Nassau, but maybe 30% in some other places like Portobello and Puerto Lindo Panama.

Mark
SanderO and scubadoo like this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #45 of 141 Old 03-06-2019

For us, the single best thing we ever put on the boat for cruising was lithium batteries. An absolute game-changer in many more ways than obvious, or than we expected. The ripple effect is great - get rid of the generator, switch to a 30-40gph AC-powered watermaker, power the water heater through the inverter, etc. A modest amount of solar keeps them going, and engine run times (if needed) are shortened to a fraction of before.

The second best thing we added was the 30gph watermaker. A watermaker of any type is a game-changer, and a high output one steps that up considerably - allowing for regular and frequent washing down the boat and its equipment, washing the anchor chain with fresh water as it goes into the locker, laundry any time and any size loads, regular washing of all the cockpit cushions and canvas, washing the dinghy down after each use, regular flushing of the outboard, frequent showers after swimming or just when hot. Most of all, as a catamaran, we drop 500lbs of dead water weight, because we can just push a button and refill the bottom half of the tank quickly.

The third best thing we added was full shades for the cockpit and cabin top. The cockpit is always cool and dark with a nice breeze blowing through, and the shades over the cabin top cut the heat below by 20F.

On the boat setup, I can't praise high enough running all lines to an electric winch in the cockpit. We raise/lower sails, reef, and trim without leaving the helm seat. One person is all that is needed to fully operate all aspects of sailing the boat - the off watch person gets to sleep.

Mark
SanderO and capta like this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #46 of 141 Old 03-06-2019
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm always amused at the discussions and debates around which are the best weather apps. Most don't seem to understand that they are ALL using the same forecast models, and are ALL identical, except for how they present those data graphically.

The only one I'm aware of that uses proprietary models is Passage Weather, and I have yet to see their proprietary models have any relationship to reality. Their GFS and ECW models, however, are exactly the same as every other app, program, and website uses.

They are also the same models Chris Parker uses for his forecasts. What you are getting with Parker is a few additional pieces of data one might not have bandwidth for like synoptic charts, radar and satellite data, a much wider weather view and historic trends, etc - but more importantly, a trained weather forecaster's interpretation of all these data.

Like Chuck, we make our own forecasts, and then compare with Chris's. Over the years, this training has made us pretty competent at weather forecasting, and has been well worth the price.

Mark

YEP - you hit the nail on the head - what we like is the presentations - we want to see the pressure gradients and where they are and how they are moving - some of the models are good at it and some are not -

When we have internet we do look at radar and you would be surprised how many countries have great wx radar -
SanderO likes this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #47 of 141 Old 03-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
1x19 is very stiff. How do you terminate it since it can't be easily formed into an eye? How do you store it in the dinghy or elsewhere, since it doesn't coil very tightly?

Agreed. I have slowly come to the opinion over the past 10yrs of missing dink reports that most have gone walkabout due to incompetence, and the rest have been stolen by other cruisers. I've seen other cruisers stealing stuff - and think it is a much bigger problem than acknowledged. Too easy to blame locals, and cruising thieves are counting on that. Personally, I guesstimate only 10-15% are local thefts, and that is highly dependent on cruising grounds - 0% in the Bahamas outside of Nassau, but maybe 30% in some other places like Portobello and Puerto Lindo Panama.

Mark
Shiva has 10mm 1x19 rigging. YES it is very stiff. We have some coiled and it's about 30ō. We use Norsemen for replacement not swaged.

+++

We had a RIB with a new 4 stoke 8 Honda go walkabout. In new Greenwich RI. I don't know if it was poorly tied and floated away while we were asleep or if someone came by at stole it... which seems unlikely. We were anchored. However the dink had a name, address phone number plaque on the transom and no one reported a lost dink found. We called around as well. No luck. So if it wasn't stolen... it was found and kept and not reported or it was another alien abduction. We use a stainless steel chain to lock the dink and always remove the kill key when paranoia is in the air. But anyone who wants to steel a dink can pretty easily do it.

post #48 of 141 Old 03-07-2019

SO. Were you anchored off the beach on Goddard State Park in East Greenwich perhaps? Lot's of kids goof around in that area. It's actually one anchorage that I always fully lock up, when I head to town. If that's it, my bet is a local, I'm afraid.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #49 of 141 Old 03-07-2019

Northeast of Long Point in Greenwich Bay... Mischief seems likely.

post #50 of 141 Old 03-07-2019

Going back to the OPs request.
What works is 2 strokes. What doesnít is 4 strokes.
If you put a inline filter on your gas line and run the carb dry if your not going to use the engine for a couple of days then a 2 stroke is nearly bulletproof. 4 strokes seem to have a lot more issues. The 2 stroke is such a simple thing itís more tolerant. Given the dinghy is your link to land itís a big deal when it doesnít work. The Yamaha seems to be the preferred machine but weíve been happy with our cheaper tohatsu.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in