Thinking about living abroad - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Smile Thinking about living abroad

Hello everyone my name is Bradley, I'm 17 and thinking about starting to live aboard I want to be able to travel the world but don't know what to get for a sailboat. I will be sailing by myself and a little pup. I have no sailing experience, but my grandfather lived on a sailboat off and on for most of his life and will teach me. I want to to have a long-keel and it has to be a blue water sailboat. I am thinking I want something between 25-38 feet but open to other opinion. I am looking at a 1994 Tradewind 35.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 9.49.13 PM.png  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-15-2019

Dock
Re: Thinking about living abroad

I'm sure the naysayers will chime in. Go for it! And, post pictures of the pup!

My 2 cents is to buy a smallish coastal cruiser for more local adventures and learning. What you want in a boat will likely change the more you sail, so sail lots, and don't spend too much on the first boat (and repairs, upgrades, etc)
jephotog, boatpoker and mbianka like this.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-16-2019

Dock

Abroad?
Over here? Or over there?
Some places are affordable, others are less so.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 22 Old 03-16-2019

Try trains and buses first.
jephotog likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-16-2019

I loved living on board and still do for about half a year. So I would say go for it. But, get to know your boat and all that it takes to maintain it first before you sail off. I worked in New York and from April to December lived on board and loved every minute of it plus it saved me from a long commute. It was not cheap but less expensive than a cramped New York apartment and I could not beat the view. Now that I am retired I love living on board even more by not having a schedule and not being stuck in one location.

Might be easier without the dog. Pets on a boat are like having a drunken crew that can't help you sail, dock or
take the helm in an emergency. But, you still have to feed them. But, that's just me.

My 30 footer has worked well for me and I can easily handle it alone which is how I pretty much sail now. I also prefer to be on a mooring or at an anchor these days. Though when I was working in Manhattan being at a dock was more convenient while I was still a wage slave. Being on a boat is not free and as Mark pointed out other destinations are not just about sailing to them and dropping the hook. So good luck with your plans but, keep your eyes open because it's not always smooth sailing but, still a great way to live.
chef2sail likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying some Fall sailing while it lasts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 03-16-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-16-2019

Baby steps... Day sails. Weekend trips. Coastal cruising. Somewhere along the line you'll start to get a feel for things.

If you want to know how things can go badly for the inexperienced, read Voyage For Madmen. Then read Sailing A Serious Ocean where a highly experienced sailor takes his customers for a ride.
scubadoo likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-16-2019
Master Mariner

Again, my recommendation is to find a boat that is first and foremost a comfortable place to live. I know @ 17 you can live almost anywhere and the same for sleeping (I slept on a ˝" plywood floor just over a 6/71 diesel quite well when I was a teen), but it's still nice to have a comfy home to bring friends to and lounge around in.
Lots of storage for your personal gear, tools, food, and spares, and good ventilation are essential for a good liveaboard, especially in warmer climates.
Just about the last thing on your list should be what she looks like. A lot of really beautiful sailboats are really uncomfortable to live on in rolly anchorages or sail around on the anchor like boats possessed, The most beautiful boat I ever considered buying (a Herreshoff) didn't even have standing headroom below.
Chances are, you'll go through a lot of changes between now and when you actually set off on your first ocean crossing unless you are a trust fund kid, of course, therefore this probably won't be the boat you'll have then, so consider that when looking as well. Very few of us got lucky enough to begin our cruising lives as teens or very young men.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 03-16-2019 at 08:50 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-16-2019

One of my regrets is that I didn't do this as a kid. My kids weren't born until my late 20s, so I could have. Unfortunately, I still had a bad taste in my mouth, from being a kid and being the indentured labor on my parent's boat. I was still swearing off boat ownership then.

Just be very realistic about how this will progress, if you've not yet learned to sail. Including the possibility that you'll need to modify your dream. The worst let downs are self imposed. You set a goal that's too high, when a more realistic goal could have felt like a huge win.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Try trains and buses first.
This is a very good idea. You could live aboard and travel the world via more efficient means, while learning to sail and maintain a boat. The one thing that will make your life of travel harder is the pup. I now have two awesome dogs but they make travel very difficult and may be the end of my long term cruising plan. Owning a dog is a bigger commitment than owning a boat, both are big commitments.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #10 of 22 Old 03-16-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Cruising with a dog is expensive and limiting. It also requires careful planning to make sure you have all the logistics sorted.

B all means stick with the long keel but be prepared for almost no control going astern it will have a mind of it's own.

Some of the cica 26 ft pocket cruisers are based on the Folkboat and lots have circumnavigated. But the accommodation is pretty cramped.

A 30 ft Catalina has 3 times the room and still sails well in fact will sail rings around a Folkboat as well as steering going astern.
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in