SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Dingy Ride to Hell (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/329202-dingy-ride-hell.html)

mbianka 04-15-2019 08:45 AM

Dingy Ride to Hell

I was chatting with a fellow sailor at the Stock Island Marina in the Keys about this free spirited sailing gal I had been following on You Tube. I was impressed with the woman's skill set as others were since she has been hired to maintain and repair boats including the fellow I was talking to. Any gal who can make a gasket for an outboard carburetor among other things is welcome on my boat.:) Anyway I just came across her latest video which started out as a celebratory trip to a yacht club for dinner but, ended up with her face down in the water. A cautionary tale about carrying the right light when using your dingy and maintaining "situational awareness" :

paulk 04-15-2019 09:09 AM

Re: Dingy Ride to Hell

Scary.

Minnewaska 04-15-2019 06:44 PM

Horrible situation and my best wishes go to her for a speedy recovery.

I saw that vid a day or two ago. While it garnered extreme sympathy, I didn't think it was very well done and stopped watching the repetition about three quarters the way in. If there was a kicker at the end, I admittedly missed it. She's struggled, prior to the accident, to keep her channel updated. This will naturally make that harder.

I hope it comes back together for her. She's pretty cool.

mbianka 04-16-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051596128)
Horrible situation and my best wishes go to her for a speedy recovery.

I saw that vid a day or two ago. While it garnered extreme sympathy, I didn't think it was very well done and stopped watching the repetition about three quarters the way in. If there was a kicker at the end, I admittedly missed it. She's struggled, prior to the accident, to keep her channel updated. This will naturally make that harder.

I hope it comes back together for her. She's pretty cool.

Yeah she does ramble a bit but, in the end she showed and described her injuries. Broken Ribs, tube inserted into her lung from the side (still oozing blood) and a bad skin injury and bruises. For a gal who was so active and helpful to others seeing her in such a broke down condition is a real setback. Hopefully her positivity will see her through. Though her message about things changing in an instant and to not be complacent when carrying a proper light on the dingy is something we should all remember.

Minnewaska 04-16-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbianka (Post 2051596228)
.....and to not be complacent when carrying a proper light on the dingy is something we should all remember.

As I recall, she indicated she had no light, not even a spot light. When conditions are right, I advocate that you see better, without the influence of surrounding lights. Your night vision is better.

Taking nothing away from the pure tragedy, there does leave something to wonder about the rendition. She does admit to not remembering most of it, so that could simply account for the anomalies.

If they had no lights of their own to disturb their night vision, it's hard to think how they would not have seen, nor heard, the powerboat, which is what I recall her saying. She indicated she heard a water noise, turned around and the boat was on her, but that's not like any powerboat I've ever heard.

If it was an overcast moonless night, that would be blind, but that's pretty uncommon in the Caribbean and all the more unlikely they would have ventured without a spot light. Even on a starlit moonless night, one can see usually see around an anchorage well enough to identify a moving boat.

She clearly had the tone of realizing some personal culpability, but I doubt we've been told what that really is. I just hope she heals up and gets back to her thing soon. It's pretty cool to see that she just learned to sail fairly recently and she's bouncing all over the Caribbean. Obviously, her mechanical aptitude is pretty high, as was her aptitude for learning to sail.

RegisteredUser 04-16-2019 09:09 AM

She said she had a headlamp

Sprinkle a few mojitos in with a dark nite and all is possible

I hold a cheap solar landscape light high...lady liberty style

mbianka 04-16-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051596240)
As I recall, she indicated she had no light, not even a spot light. When conditions are right, I advocate that you see better, without the influence of surrounding lights. Your night vision is better.

I think having a gas outboard could mask a lot of the sound of an approaching boat. Especially when you are gabbing with passengers. She did have a light facing forward not much use when a boat is gaining on you. Though an all around light above eye level like Reg uses might be the best thing if only for the lawyers to point to as compliance. I would add a spotlight too if you really need to get somebody's attention quickly.

hellosailor 04-16-2019 06:03 PM

Screw the white light...how big a dink do you need, to keep upright when the Phalanx gun opens up on the incoming vessel?

She's incredibly unlucky to have been run down, but I don't think she's really aware of how close to dead she was. Unconcious, face down, in the water. And the "lung" tube...may not have been for the lung, but to drain pericardial swelling? That's one adventure I'll be glad never to have.

mbianka 04-17-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 2051596366)
Screw the white light...how big a dink do you need, to keep upright when the Phalanx gun opens up on the incoming vessel?

She's incredibly unlucky to have been run down, but I don't think she's really aware of how close to dead she was. Unconcious, face down, in the water. And the "lung" tube...may not have been for the lung, but to drain pericardial swelling? That's one adventure I'll be glad never to have.

Indeed. Then after all that the real hell for her is to not be able to do much around the boat because of the pain and injuries. I know one of the great pleasures I have with the boat is to slip over the side and go for a summer swim whenever I want. She not being able to do that in the Caribbean has got to be extremely frustrating. Then again her first goal is to just try and lift her limp left arm.

Rezz 04-18-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 2051596366)

My guess is chest tube for a pneumothorax (or hemopneumo) due to her broken rib. Or maybe she held her breath at the last moment and popped a lobe. Either are plausible.