its a conspiracy! - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
dadio917

its a conspiracy!

why is it that when ever we get on the boat to actually sail someplace all of a sudden the weather changes: wind and nasty swell on the nose, rain, cold?

been watching a nice high in the pacific for a month as we prep'd to leave for Hawaii. Just as we finish, the high disappears and a series of storms come marching in.

did I forget to have a beer when returning to land from our last passage and piss off Trident? Did we say the old name of our boat and bring on the weather curse? it must be some kind of conspiracy!!!

oh well....guess will weather-window down the coast and visit some favorite ports. in the end its all good!

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: its a conspiracy!

No such thing as perfect weather. There's always too much or too little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

You just picked the wrong year to go. Wait till next year or the year after. Seriously, the weather pattern seems to be a continuation of the constant low pressure systems marching across the Pacific. Very uncommon for this late in the year. Hopefully the normal summer high pressure system will set in in the next few weeks and you can set off on your sleigh ride to paradise.

Depending on how you look at it, the good or bad thing about weather is it's always changing.

post #4 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
bell ringer

Thatís the life of the weekend sailor. Itís nice alllll week, until Saturday.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Enjoy your complaining while you sail the coast. I am about to head in to work on my day off.
Minnewaska likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
dadio917

Quote:
Enjoy your complaining while you sail the coast. I am about to head in to work on my day off.
oh man.....that does make me feel better! thanks!
Minnewaska likes this.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #7 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

If I were to sail between SF and Hawaii I would be leaving on Wednesday - in a couple of days a high develops offshore and offers a nice ride down the back of the high that looks to stay for at least seven days. But then itís a fair old stretch and I donít think any weather predictions look 14 days ahead. Have a look at Windy.com for that time, it looks uncommonly good.

That said, I donít know too much of the weather in that area but it seems to not have many repetitive characteristics. Where we are, the systems generally move east from Australia past us and can be nicely predictable (squalls and squash zones aside). We also run into the ever-dependable trades after 3 or 4 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Actually sometimes there is. Last October we left the islands on the trades with a high sliding in from the Coral Sea. We left Fiji on a port tack and weíre still on the same tack seven days and 1100nm later when we dropped the sails to motor into Opua Marina. But Iíll give you that itís pretty rare. A couple of weeks later friends got hammered on the same trip.
post #8 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
dadio917

Quote:
If I were to sail between SF and Hawaii I would be leaving on Wednesday
we caught a weather window yesterday for an 85 mile run from SF to Monterey. hanging out here listening to rain. looks like we get a window Monday to head south and get below the next Northern Ca blow. If the weather holds we'll do that.

Quote:
have had one or two as well...longest was French Polynesia to Hawaii.....22 days on a starboard tack! Just enough squalls to keep the boat clean.

btw, my first post was not a complaint as much as stating the facts. all part of the sailing game:-)

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #9 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

A elderly couple told us to go to the bow a pour a libation of blackberry brandy and kind word to Poseidon before passage. So far so good.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I don't get it. How long have you been sailing? And you still haven't figured out that the little arrow on your masthead is there to point you in the direction you need to go? lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in