Making money while cruising - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

Re: Making money while cruising

One plus to being a seasonal cruiser/worker and remaining within your own country is there may be some cash flow from programs like employment insurance and your health benefits. I myself just finished a year off with paid parental leave benefits (for example, paid parental leave benefits in Canada run for up to 18 months and dont require that you remain in the country). I didn't live on a boat during that time, but I easily could have. I did do a lot of travel and camping though. So in a sense, in those scenarios you are getting paid while you are cruising, even though the work was done in a period when you weren't.

Paid off duty cycles in jobs like shipping work the same. You get paid for work you did at an earlier period in time while you are cruising. In truth, day sailing on the week end works the same way, you worked during the week, so you can play on the week end. You just can't go very far on a week end. 6 weeks paid off cycle though...

If your personal definition of cruising includes a mandatory transoceanic element, many of these options become less viable, and some dont even work if your personal definition of cruising has a mandatory international element.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 Old 05-20-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
An option that I do know of is to return home for seasonal work. Stuff the kitty and return to cruising the remainder of the year. It's not a bad plan. One could leave their boat on the hard for hurricane season, for example.
Around 2000, I was working summers in Alaska taking cruise ship passengers Salmon fishing and pretty much everyone in Skagway had come up (except the 500 residents) to service the cruise ship passengers in one fashion or another.
The turtles (world traveling backpackers) could do exactly as above and generally, one could earn between 20 and 30 grand in 3 months. I'm sure there are other places to do the same if Ak isn't as it was.
Arcb likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

^^^ The ferry drivers can do really well up that way. Have a buddy that drives a car ferry on the Dempster Highway across the Mckenzie River. He livrs in a camp/trailer on the river bank during the operational season, makes about $100k in 4 months, then takes off to Sri Lanka for the other 8 months and lives very well. If he chose to be a cruiser instead of an island dweller, I am sure he could do that instead

post #14 of 49 Old 05-20-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Set up on the Devils Table reef corner of Bequia from 4 to 6 pm with a camera. You will want a decent RIB with a 2 hp backup just in case. Catch the charter boats coming in and get pics showing the crew. Printout the pics and frame them. Do the rounds of the boats in the morning. In the 90s you got 75$ US per pic and it was not unusual to sell multiple copies to a boat.

Even grumpy tight Scots gits cruising on a shoestring will buy. Mind you I haggled him down to 40 $

Tim Wright is still taking pics of boats in the Caribbean.

Refrigeration A/C etc skills have a market as do ali and stainless welding skills.

A number of people have scraped a living doing canvas work but you really need a biggish work table and this means a shore base.

But to be legal you need a work permit. Try to fly beneath the radar and you risk being deported with 12 hours notice. Possibly by air with your boat/car/significant other left behind. This happens fairly frequently.
MarkofSeaLife and sailforlife like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TQA For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (05-20-2019)
post #15 of 49 Old 05-20-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Set up on the Devils Table reef corner of Bequia from 4 to 6 pm with a camera. You will want a decent RIB with a 2 hp backup just in case. Catch the charter boats coming in and get pics showing the crew. Printout the pics and frame them. Do the rounds of the boats in the morning. In the 90s you got 75$ US per pic and it was not unusual to sell multiple copies to a boat.
I think Kenmore Henville would get a tad upset if someone illegally set up shop in direct competition with him in Bequia! Bequia Photo Action - Kenmore Henville We've bought two sets of pics from him and he does a great job!.
All the rest require work permits and I seriously doubt any island will grant a foreigner one as there are plenty of locals who can do those jobs. Most maybe not well, but that's no different from even the states.
Don't forget, if one does get caught breaking the law in a foreign country, they can take your boat, fine and incarcerate you. Feeling lucky...?
SanderO, MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

I have friends who run a medical animation company who are able to operate their business both cruising and while living out of a van. They have a well established business they can operate out of their home, but both have been able to function reasonably well while cruising the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia for weeks at a time with me. We usually have to drop into a town with a high speed internet connection periodically. Ironically this was less of an issue in Nova Scotia where you could be anchored in some isolated cove and have a faster internet connection than most major cities in the US. There were a few awkward times when they had a product delivery deadline and weather made getting into a large enough town a bit touch and go, but we were always able to pull it off. The two main ingredients are having computer based skills that are valuable enough to earn a living from and access to a good internet connection while you are cruising.
SanderO, mbianka and sailforlife like this.
post #17 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
As above, to work in a country you are not a citizen of requires a sponsor or work permits.
Isn't that exactly what about a quarter of Americans are so worried about these days? Some undocumented migrant coming in and taking their jobs?
It's no different overseas, except you are talking about most Caribbean islands counting their populations in the low 6 digits versus America's hundreds of millions. Kinda hard to stay below the radar in those small countries.
Very true. It's even immortalized in Caribbean song:
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #18 of 49 Old 05-21-2019

Become a privateer.
titustiger27 and ThereYouAre like this.
post #19 of 49 Old 05-21-2019

I've heard you can make a lot of money selling drugs. People love drugs.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #20 of 49 Old 05-21-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I've heard you can make a lot of money selling drugs. People love drugs.
In Canada you’d still need a business/work permit

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in