Making money while cruising - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Making money while cruising

There is a bunch of web based stuff you can do. Youtube was given as an example, but there is a lot else out there.

You can sell digital photos to Foap.
You can run adsense or similar on a blog
You can work for a call centre via VPN. My wife does this as an independent contractor taking take out orders on her computer. All she needs is a laptop, head set and wifi. She does it from home when the babies napping, but a cruising boat is just a floating house moving from place to place from time to time. Decent internet is a requisite for this, so cruising plans must be adjusted accordingly.

Also, some employers offer really good leave programs these days if you want the security of full time employment but also want to live on a boat and float around from place to place from time to time. Some offer unpaid leave of absences for "Personal reasons" (like going boating), up to 1 year. I think there is a limit on how many times you can take it. Another thing a lot of employers are offering these days is leave with income averaging. For example, can take up to %20 reduction in wages for a corresponding amount of extra vacation, (so that works out to 10 weeks/year plus your regular vacay, or 1 year off in 5). And there are telework agreements to be had if you want to set up a home office on your boat and work from there, although this would likely fall more into "liveaboard" status then the traditional idea of "cruising". My employer offers variations on all of the above programs (in addition to the 18 months parental leave for birth of a child I mentioned earlier).

Some academic and clergy type positions also have pretty good sabbatical programs as well.

There are many options for boat living and exploring. I have tried out a few. Waiting until retirement and living off investment or pension is the most popular, but there are lots of people who dont follow that kind of traditional approach and just kind of do there own thing. Labels applied by others are pretty easy to shrug off when you are out on your boat having an adventure to some new place on a Wednesday afternoon

Last edited by Arcb; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Here is a wild article on a cruiser/coke smuggler. He has been busted a bunch of times for drug smuggling on his sailboat- is it 6 times?(I lost count about half way through the article).

He was caught once with 2.5 tons of cocaine on board.

It seems his most recent brush with the law he is alleged to have had 20 something gallons of liquid meth on board and was high on fentanyl.

Seems he keeps getting dinged in international waters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5160937/j...est-bc-oregon/
sailforlife likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:22 PM.
post #23 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Very true. It's even immortalized in Caribbean song:
Your Own Comes First - YouTube
Calypso!

When I went to the Caribbean I thought I'd hear this type of music - Underneath the Mango Tree - all the time.

But none

All music is just that boring, over done Bob Marley...
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #24 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Here is a wild article on a cruiser/coke smuggler. He has been busted a bunch of times for drug smuggling on his sailboat- is it 6 times?(I lost count about half way through the article).

He was caught once with 2.5 tons of cocaine on board.

It seems his most recent brush with the law he is alleged to have had 20 something gallons of liquid meth on board and was high on fentanyl.

Seems he keeps getting dinged in international waters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5160937/j...est-bc-oregon/
The real question is how do you get dinged 6 times and your A. Out of jail and B. Still doing it .... Crazy stuff, Id never risk my fredom over money not worth it. Thank you for the good online ideas.

post #25 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Calypso!

When I went to the Caribbean I thought I'd hear this type of music - Underneath the Mango Tree - all the time.

But none

Bob Marley+Awesome=Bob Marley was Awesome.

titustiger27 likes this.
post #26 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Calypso!

But none

Had enough Marley myself and if I hear Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville one more time! Slowly I turned step by step, ....
titustiger27 and sailforlife like this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Had enough Marley myself and if I hear Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville one more time!
I’ve thought that would be a good way to raise money for charity in a Caribbean tourist bar. Circulate two jars through the crowd, one marked “Yea” and the other “Nay,” collecting money in both. If the “Yea” has more money the crowd will be subjected to Margaritaville, if the “Nay” has more the crowd is spared. I bet “Nay” would win every night.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #28 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Dock

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #29 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Much of my gleaned income was from re/re fishing boat engines but one of the more interesting gigs was following the herring fleet up the coast, charted by a couple of working girls.
chall03, Arcb and sailforlife like this.
post #30 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
charted by a couple of working girls.
Perfect. Worked for a charter boat company in TO that targeted the swinger market, which is a market that is alive in well in TO. Good passengers, no baloney, they were there to party and have a good time. Simple, tipped well, didn't fight.

Last edited by Arcb; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in