Making money while cruising - SailNet Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 05-19-2019 Thread Starter

Making money while cruising

This is a question to those of you who have been out cruising for a while and have funded their travels while cruising...

How do you do it? What kind of work do you do? How do you find work? How much do you get paid? How long does that last you? Do you need permits as you go? What would be the best skills to learn to pick up jobs most frequently? Etc.. etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 05-19-2019

Re: Making money while cruising

I don't think many actually do it that way. You're going to have to stay in a US state/territory or work on the internet. No way you'll work in a foreign country very easily.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 49 Old 05-19-2019

Dock

Not many countries want to give employment to rich white folks with yachts.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 49 Old 05-19-2019
Master Mariner

As above, to work in a country you are not a citizen of requires a sponsor or work permits.
Isn't that exactly what about a quarter of Americans are so worried about these days? Some undocumented migrant coming in and taking their jobs?
It's no different overseas, except you are talking about most Caribbean islands counting their populations in the low 6 digits versus America's hundreds of millions. Kinda hard to stay below the radar in those small countries.
Bring it with you, write a best seller or figure out how to make money on the internet. You've probably seen the v-logs on youtube, etc, though I'm not sure how many of those actually make enough to cruise on.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

An option that I do know of is to return home for seasonal work. Stuff the kitty and return to cruising the remainder of the year. It's not a bad plan. One could leave their boat on the hard for hurricane season, for example. Although, I highly suspect many (not all) that practice this have no rainy day savings, no retirement (long term care) plan and no health insurance. They spend what they make. Recoverable if you're a kid, could be financially devastating if you come up craps in middle age.

There is a sailing vlog, Another Adventure, featuring a woman doing this. Works for a stretch, then sails for a stretch. She's somewhere between being a kid and middle aged and had a severe accident. While it was on a Caribbean island, where medical costs are much lower, it still had to be extraordinary: a chest drain tube, immobile arm, etc. She was run over by a powerboat, in her dinghy, at night. Her last vlog, which have understandably halted ever since, showed her on her boat without being able to move her arm. My first thought was that she couldn't afford to stay in the hospital. Might not be true. Still, until she gets use of her arm back, neither the cruising, nor working, are going to happen very easily.

Becoming disabled is about 7-10x more likely than dying, until you reach retirement age.
mbianka and sailforlife like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

Unless you have a stash of cash or some sort of annuity which provides money for living... anywhere... you have to work. Some means may fly under the radar of local authorities with lax enforcement... such as waiting tables. Other mechanical services to the cruising boating community may work... but getting the word out is a problem. You can do engine work, refer work, electrics/electronics work, canvas work (cushions??), detailing, bottom cleaning... or miscellaneous boat labor.

And then there is work than can be done "online" as connectivity in ports at least is not hard to find these days, I presume. You can write articles, take and sell photo stories, write a book! I suppose you could also do work on board that you can do at your desk at home... CAD work, graphics... app development / computer work and that sort of thing. Things like apps I suppose can spin off regular cash flow.

What about a floating take out food service? Likely not legal but could be popular if the food is tasty and not too spendy.
sailforlife likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

I think jobs that match time on/time off would be a way to go. Often times professions that require work in isolated areas have good paid leave programs; professional sailor, oil rigs, guys working in the bush can have leave schedules something like 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off or 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off . You could use the "off cycle" to go play at whatever you chose.

Or there are seasonal jobs. Places like British Columbia are loaded up with "lifties" who spend the winter operating ski lifts and snow making equipment and their summers surfing/climbing/playing (and every free moment in the winter skiing).

Same thing with tree planting with forestry companies. Spend 3 or 4 months living on the ground in the bush planting as many trees as possible. They are paid by the tree, so the harder you work, the better the money, then go boating.

The above are mostly pretty easy to pull off for some one without kids.

You can make beer money off youtube, but for the most part, you are not going to make a living at it.
mbianka likes this.
post #8 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

Dock

I've been cruising for 13 years.

If there was a valid, viable way to make money WHILST cruising I would know about it.

Mark

PS "Cruising" does not mean floating in your own country.
SanderO and Sal Paradise like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 49 Old 05-20-2019

Not reliable or steady, but Iíll bet one could get away with bartering services. Work for a case of beer or food. It doesnít make it any more legal, but less likely to be a problem. Infrequent too.

First youíd have to find the opportunity. Most cruisers are typically self sufficient, so there probably arenít too many that would need to pay. Iíve always thought the one bartering skill that many do not have is refrigeration. Youíd have to stock various gasses, gauges and specialty tools aboard.
titustiger27 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 49 Old 05-20-2019
Old soul

So far I havenít seen a way to make big money while cruising. I make a small amount of money writing for various publications. I suspect the same is possible on youtube.

Other than that there is an active internal barter-type of economy in most communities of boaters Iíve been in. And by this I mean: I help you, and you help me. Sometimes food and drink is involved. A very specialized skill or service might fetch some cash in this economy, but this is rare.
sailforlife likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in