Liveaboards: What do you miss?. - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 64 Old 06-06-2019

Re: Liveaboards: What do you miss?.

COMMUNICATIONS
When I lived aboard (years ago) I didn't have internet or inexpensive cellular service, so I missed living the "normal" life that I had grown accustomed to. So in the near future when my wife and I commence prolonged cruising I will definitely install high gain antennas for 4G and wifi, to keep in touch with kids and friends. Perhaps even watch some Netflix when anchored close to civilization.

GARBAGE DISPOSAL
My boat had a dishwasher and a trash compactor. Turns out I never used (and still don't) the dishwasher. In the future will install pressure, filtered salt water. However the trash compactor was extremely helpful. Wow. The only problem was the specialized heavy duty paper bags. Storing trash (space and odors) during long ocean passages really sucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 Old 06-06-2019

COMMUNICATIONS
When I lived aboard I didn't have internet or inexpensive cellular service, so I missed the "normal" communications that I had grown accustomed to. So in the near future when my wife and I commence prolonged cruising I will definitely install high gain antennas for 4G and wifi, to keep in touch with kids and friends. Perhaps even watch some Netflix when anchored close to civilization.

GARBAGE DISPOSAL
My boat had a dishwasher and a trash compactor. Turns out I never used (and still don't) the dishwasher. In the future will install pressure, filtered salt water. However the trash compactor was extremely helpful. Wow. The only problem was the specialized heavy duty paper bags. Storing trash (space and odors) during long ocean passages really sucks!

STORAGE SPACE
I believe bigger is better when it comes to boats for long passages, remote cruising and independence. Can't have enough storage space since as a live aboard I didn't have a garage or offsite storage.
post #43 of 64 Old 06-06-2019

What do you plan to filter out in your saltwater filter

post #44 of 64 Old 06-06-2019
Owner 1973 C-41 Sloop

Send a message via AIM to riggy001 Send a message via Yahoo to riggy001

Let's reverse this for a landlubber ex-liveaboard;

I miss the sound of the wires hitting the inside of the mast when she rocked. I miss being rocked to sleep when another vessel would pass near the dock. I miss the "only $50/mo extra liveaboard fee" for all the free water and electricity I could use! I miss... ...the TV on a 14" laptop monitor at 4 feet away still looked the same as a 27" TV all the way across a living room, but folded up and stowed under a cushion. ...a 1500W space heater with fan was too much heat in the winter. ...a 5000 BTU hatchtop A/C unit was just enough. ...the yellowish soft light of the interior 1156 bulbs in the sconce fixtures. ...dock showers in the summer. ...the shudder of the rig in a high wind gust (or hurricane (stayed aboard at dock for 2--Alberto and Opal)). ...the grill being 5 feet away from the dinner table. The stove being 5 feet away from the dinner table. ...$184/mo rent (which included the $50 liveaboard fee). ...free cable. ...the 4" foam cushion on which I slept for years and never had a backache (I only last 7 hours on my current mattress and always wake up in pain).

S/V Cajun, DO597655, 1977 Columbia 8.3 hull 101, R.I.P.
post #45 of 64 Old 06-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
COMMUNICATIONS.... I will definitely install high gain antennas for 4G and wifi, to keep in touch with kids and friends. Perhaps even watch some Netflix when anchored close to civilization.
I think the free WiFi game is coming to an end. Even where itís free, you often need the password. The vendors that give it away want you in their store. When 5G cellular becomes mainstream, most wonít need WiFi and I suspect the giveaway WiFi will nearly disappear.

Quote:
........the trash compactor was extremely helpful. Wow. The only problem was the specialized heavy duty paper bags. Storing trash (space and odors) during long ocean passages really sucks!
Always wanted one. Do you recall make/model?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #46 of 64 Old 06-07-2019

Precisely the opposite reason many choose to sail away is that people like to have established roots, be part of a community, create a comfortable home and be surrounded by the familiar. I suspect that a fair number people who sail off may not realize what they had til it's gone. Not everyone re-calibrates daily expectations successfully for long term.

I wonder what the states are concerning how many people never return to dirt compared to those who do after years aboard out there.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #47 of 64 Old 06-07-2019
bell ringer

at the moment I miss air conditioning without having to listen/run the generator!!!
SanderO likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 64 Old 06-07-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy001 View Post
Let's reverse this for a landlubber ex-liveaboard;

I miss the sound of the wires hitting the inside of the mast when she rocked. I miss being rocked to sleep when another vessel would pass near the dock. I miss the "only $50/mo extra liveaboard fee" for all the free water and electricity I could use! I miss... ...the TV on a 14" laptop monitor at 4 feet away still looked the same as a 27" TV all the way across a living room, but folded up and stowed under a cushion. ...a 1500W space heater with fan was too much heat in the winter. ...a 5000 BTU hatchtop A/C unit was just enough. ...the yellowish soft light of the interior 1156 bulbs in the sconce fixtures. ...dock showers in the summer. ...the shudder of the rig in a high wind gust (or hurricane (stayed aboard at dock for 2--Alberto and Opal)). ...the grill being 5 feet away from the dinner table. The stove being 5 feet away from the dinner table. ...$184/mo rent (which included the $50 liveaboard fee). ...free cable. ...the 4" foam cushion on which I slept for years and never had a backache (I only last 7 hours on my current mattress and always wake up in pain).
The grass is always greener or maybe the water is always bluer...

I've been looking in on this thread since it started and have been asking myself repeatedly, what did I miss about dirt life when I was living aboard? I thought I might have written something down in my journal, i had not.

I miss living aboard terribly, but I'd miss my wife even more. She's loves to sail and we spend all the time that we can on board now. Hoping when we retire in 4 years we'll be able to spend even more time on board.

I remember moving from my 30' Pearson (which had maybe 15' of living space) to a 600 square foot studio and thinking what the H am I going to do with all of this space. It was and still is a bit overwhelming. The worst part is that the studio doesn't move and we end up flying to the places that we want to visit....I don't enjoy flying.

The apartment is very stagnant...the view, the neighborhood and the neighbors are almost always the same. Some folks might find comfort in that...to me, it shares too many similarities to a long term prison sentence. It also feels very removed from nature....the sounds, the weather, the movement of the clouds and sea. Might as well be living in a bubble on the Moon. ...the grass is always greener...

Tartan 31
post #49 of 64 Old 06-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
What do you plan to filter out in your saltwater filter
A seawater strainer isn't fine enough. Why would you pump raw salt water into the galley? An inexpensive Home Depot whole house paper filter is worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think the free WiFi game is coming to an end... When 5G cellular becomes mainstream, most wonít need WiFi and I suspect the giveaway WiFi will nearly disappear.
Good point. SIM cards and data are rather cheap in most countries - we always pick them up at the airport at each country we travel to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Always wanted one. Do you recall make/model?
Don't remember, but it was just a normal domestic unit, 12" wide. I wonder if it is practical to install a small incinerator on a boat? Maybe just a solid wood burning fireplace can be used to burn paper/cartons, etc.
post #50 of 64 Old 06-09-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post

The apartment is very stagnant...the view, the neighborhood and the neighbors are almost always the same. Some folks might find comfort in that...to me, it shares too many similarities to a long term prison sentence. ...

13 years I've been floating about the world.
Probably another 13 to go. Maybe 13 after that.
There's no prison out here

"People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know"
scubadoo likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in