Liveaboards: What do you miss?. - SailNet Community
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Liveaboards: What do you miss?.

For all you liveaboard folks what do you miss about land life if you miss it and what do you hate or dislike about living aboard?

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Re: For all you LIVEABOARD folks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
For all you liveaboard folks what do you miss about land life if you miss it and what do you hate or dislike about living aboard?

Honestly ...... Nothing and .... Nothing.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #3 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Food, especially prepared meals, delivery. There are just some nights when it would be great to get some Thai, Chinese or a pizza delivered.
Minnesail and sailforlife like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I miss the space. My house was 1200 ft3, which is small compared to most homes ... but it's a huge amount of space compared to my Tartan 37. It's especially relevant right now since most of my time is taken up doing boat projects, and the tools and parts spread all over the boat means there's almost no room for me.
sailforlife and Damon Gannon like this.
post #5 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Food, especially prepared meals, delivery. There are just some nights when it would be great to get some Thai, Chinese or a pizza delivered.
Pizza Pi boat, anchored in Christmas Cove on Little St James Island, USVI. Delivery is free, in the anchorage, if you order three pies! Although, taking one's own dinghy over to see the operation is a must. Freaking expensive, tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I don't liveaboard full time, but we spend in the order of 120 nights aboard per year. More in better years.

We bought our current boat to be a second home and she's outfit as such. I have an ice maker aboard, but not at home! Our memory foam mattress aboard is hands down more comfortable (and bigger) than the one at home. We have a line of family and friends at the door to come visit on the boat. Not so much at home.

Probably the only thing I find better at home is garbage disposal, especially while cruising.

I will say, I've occasionally gone to work from the boat, which is a major buzz kill. I'd rather dress for work at home.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago

No longer living aboard... but did for 4 years in Caribe, NE, and Canaries.... back in the mid 90s.

When you live aboard your immediate world shrinks to the confines of your boat. Not bad but usually much smaller than your home on dirt. You learn that you need less / fewer things... clothes and so on. It also means that to get anywhere you use your boat and where you can go is limited to harbors and place along the shore... unless you take some sort of public transport which is fairly limited when you are off the beaten path. You have less access to all things retail... from hardware to food and clothing. You entertainment... such as culture is also limited... concerts, museums, movies, performances... variety in restaurants, cafes and so forth. Of course your access to the "country side" is limited as well.

Life aboard is more "essential" basic and for the most part less cushy.

I won't go into the upside of living aboard... but the above are the sort of things I missed when I left the NYC metro area to live aboard and cruise.
Sal Paradise, Arcb and sailforlife like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (4 Weeks Ago)
post #8 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Like Minnewaska I live on board for about five or six months. Only negative thing is toward the end of the season when the sun starts setting early and evening starts to get cold. When I start to need a wear a wool Watch Cap I start thinking about lighting the fire place at home. Though taking a break over the winter gets the sailing desire going come the spring so it's all good.
sailforlife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #9 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The only things I really miss are having a decent size cooking space and laundry at home. Some aspects of life just take a little longer, but you can minimize a lot of that with careful planning so you don't walk back and forth between the boat and shore more than necessary. If I had a different setup, not showering at home would probably get old after a while too. I never shower on board for environmental reasons, but I usually shower in the gym on the way to work or at work because it allows me to clean up after biking to work or gets me off the freeway before traffic gets too bad if I am driving. I also have storage space for clothes and food at work which reduces storage needs on the boat. How much time you spend at home will probably make a difference to how you feel about living aboard as will whether you have access to other living spaces during the day. I am at work for 12 hours most days and go out of town climbing on most weekends if I am not sailing, so I don't spend a huge amount of time at home. There is one other thing that I do miss ... paying exorbitant rent!
sailforlife likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chicory83 For This Useful Post:
Terry L (2 Weeks Ago)
post #10 of 62 Old 4 Weeks Ago

We live aboard for 6 months in Carribbean, pass through USA visiting kids, then to Newfoundland for the summer.

I can’t say there is much if anything if land life I miss living on the boat. We spend a few nights at our hunting cabin, and I miss the times knocking about the woods. But the cabin is more “rustic” than the boat, so I’m not missing amenities. I can miss access to supplies, but St Martin is pretty good for that.

If anything I sometimes miss a decent internet connection because I need to communicate and stay in touch. And a decent steak, about twice a year. That’s about it. But I have those same issues in Newfoundland.
wymbly1971, Arcb and sailforlife like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in