Need Help Getting to Land - SailNet Community
 84Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter

Need Help Getting to Land

Hello. I just recently started living aboard my 22 O’Day. I have no money, and I’m anchored near Niantic, CT. I don’t have a slip, nor a mooring anywhere, and I don’t know anybody with a dock that I can access.

How do I get to shore to do anything? I was under the impression before I got my boat that marinas/public docks would let people dock temporarily to go ashore and take care of business on land. That appears to not be the case.

How do people who can’t afford a slip/mooring live on their boats? I make $750/month on SSDI, which should be enough to survive, but it seems like that’s not the case in the US because everybody on a boat is expected to be able to afford a slip/mooring.

Please help! Thank you!

[EDIT] I do have a dinghy, and I’m trading in my 22 for a 28 at the beginning of next month (06/2019)!

Last edited by HumanErrer; 05-24-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Update information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 05-24-2019

Dock
Re: Need Help Getting to Land

A small dinghy and then you row to shore.
HumanErrer likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 70 Old 05-24-2019

$9,000/yr is not enough to survive. Particularly in Niantic, CT. And you only have a few more reasonable months of weather before things get very dicey for you.

This is harsh, but you made a mistake. To get to shore, you will need a small dinghy like mentioned. You will also need a place to land that dinghy, which are few and far between in the area you are currently in. They are few and far between in most places. Others will charge $5-10/day for the privilege.

Of course, on a 22' boat, you must be taking it to a commercial dock at least once per week for a pumpout or to empty the head, so that is an opportunity.

You might consider spending the summer months looking for another arrangement than living at anchor on a 22' boat in the Northeast with no money.

Mark
HumanErrer likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
HumanErrer (05-24-2019)

post #4 of 70 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you guys so far. I do have a dinghy, and there is a nature preserve with a beach where local kids hang out sometimes not too far from me. Is it okay to just row my dinghy to the beach and leave it there while I go into town?

I’m trading up for a 28 O’Day at the beginning of next month. I’m not sure if that will improve my situation, or make it worse! It will certainly be more comfortable for me, and I will have tanks (I don’t at the moment...). The draft will be more difficult to deal with, and I will be much more conspicuous, but I think maybe I’ll be in a better position.

The goal is to get down towards FL after the hurricane season ends, then spend the winter sailing as much as possible, then try to trade up for an offshore passagemaker and start traveling the world.

I know it sounds foolhardy, but this is my dream, and I’m going for it!

Last edited by HumanErrer; 05-24-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 70 Old 05-24-2019

Its the control of access.
Dinghy kayak..whatever..doesnt matter.
You need to relocate

Id look south of virginia
HumanErrer likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
HumanErrer (05-24-2019)
post #6 of 70 Old 05-24-2019

Too much population density. I agree with above, south is a good option. Carolinas maybe.

More free docks, less people looking at you, better weather.

I think you need some kind of small boat, Oday 22s aren't the best design for beaching.

Edit: Just read your last about getting a bigger boat.

Yes, use your dinghy. You will find places.
HumanErrer likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
HumanErrer (05-24-2019)
post #7 of 70 Old 05-24-2019
Barquito

This is going to sound really stupid, but, I have heard people do this: Put your things in a drybag, and swim.
HumanErrer likes this.

Valiant 32
post #8 of 70 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Edit: Just read your last about getting a bigger boat.

Yes, use your dinghy. You will find places.
Thanks! I was worried that there might be rules against that kind of thing. I donít know much about the boating world yet - Iíve been a land-based nomad my whole life.
post #9 of 70 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
This is going to sound really stupid, but, I have heard people do this: Put your things in a drybag, and swim.
😂😂😂 Iíve actually thought about that! I just have to get a dry bag...
post #10 of 70 Old 05-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanErrer View Post
Thanks! I was worried that there might be rules against that kind of thing. I donít know much about the boating world yet - Iíve been a land-based nomad my whole life.
Well, there will be rules in a lot of places. They key is to use discretion. Folks won't normally take much notice of a canoe or small dinghy dragged up in the bushes. A lock might be a good investment.
neeqness and HumanErrer like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
HumanErrer (05-24-2019)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in