Boat insurance - happy story - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

Boat insurance - happy story

I often gripe about boat insurance. I donít like the process, and I donít trust insurance companies to be looking out for my best interests (vs theirs). HOWEVER, I feel I need to eat a little humble pie here with my new policy and broker.

I just switched insurance companies and brokers, and am now paying around 30% LESS than we were previously. And this is for a 42-year-old boat.

Itís comprehensive insurance, including $2M liability (pretty standard for Canadian policies), and covers all the basics one might expect. So Iím pretty pleased.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Boat insurance - happy story

What computer and broker?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

Broker is Fairway Insurance out of Digby Nova Scotia: Digby NS Insurance Agency, Nova Scotia Home Insurance, Nova Scotia Auto Insurance, Nova Scotia Business Insurance | Fairway Insurance

And the policy is underwritten by Intact Insurance.

Fairway operates out of the four Canadian Atlantic provinces, as well as British Columbia. I think their primary clientele are commercial fishers, although many local recreational folks use them up here (Newfoundland) as well. Not sure if they are able to service non-Canadians, but Iíd definitely recommend them based on the service and policy we got.

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Interesting that in Canada 2 mil is standard liability. To go that high in US I'd have to add an umbrella policy on. (and we're not underinsured at all by US standards). Never understood that as we seem to be much more litigious down here. :-)
post #5 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
Interesting that in Canada 2 mil is standard liability. To go that high in US I'd have to add an umbrella policy on. (and we're not underinsured at all by US standards). Never understood that as we seem to be much more litigious down here. :-)
This continues to confuse me as well. The USA is indeed more litigious. Lawsuits are more common, and settlements seem higher. Yet despite the constant demand that everyone must have insurance, the American default standard of $300,000 is laughably low.

I too donít get it.

BLOG:
post #6 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Fairway dropped me when I moved the Canadian boat to the USA. They were OK with me cruising in the USA, just not staying in the USA. I was happy with them in Canada.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Fairway dropped me when I moved the Canadian boat to the USA. They were OK with me cruising in the USA, just not staying in the USA. I was happy with them in Canada.
Thanks Howard. Good to know. Iíll have to keep that in mind if/when we head south. Not going to happen for a few years though ó Lewistporte bound this year!

BLOG:
post #8 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago

When we brought our boat from Ontario to British Columbia, our broker dropped us because their insurers 'couldn't insure customers in another province'. We purchased insurance through a Vancouver based broker when we arrived here. The insurer is a company based in Cambridge Ontario, less than 50 miles from where we used to live.
post #9 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
When we brought our boat from Ontario to British Columbia, our broker dropped us because their insurers 'couldn't insure customers in another province'. We purchased insurance through a Vancouver based broker when we arrived here. The insurer is a company based in Cambridge Ontario, less than 50 miles from where we used to live.
WeirdÖ Insurance is such a black box to most of us.

Our previous broker is Ontario-based. They seemed happy to insure us here in Newfoundland, although it seemed like they were treating us as temporary visitors to the Atlantic provinces.

Fairway (our new broker) has offices in all the Atlantic provinces, as well as BC, so I assume they are happy to service Canadian west coast boaters. You might want to give them a call the next time renewal comes around. They certainly saved me a good chunk.

BLOG:
post #10 of 14 Old 17 Hours Ago

Hi I'm new here I just sold my livaboard 1971 32 foot carver to by a sailboat what's the best type of insurance to get I've seen different marinas want different amounts of liability insurance most of the time I anchor but would like to go to the dock when I need to

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in