What did you do with your property before you left for the horizon? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Re: What did you do with your property before you left for the horizon?

I gave much of it to charity, Goodwill, relief organizations. Sold, stored, gave away my shop equipment. Stored art or one of a kind things in brother's attic. Gave bmw to best friend... records placed on the street in boxes with trash and they got taken (that was dumb of me).

I took what I thought I needed on board. Machinery I lent were then appropriated by what I thought had been a friend... because he wouldn't return them. That sucked. No house to sell.

Now I have an apartment, wife a garage and way way too much stuff. I will start selling / giving away on FB marketplace or some other sailor's web site.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
traveling that far with a 3 yr old isn't my idea of a pleasant cruise.

Think of the benefits: A child in its most formative period in its life is exposed to the wonders of the world, nature, cultures, languages, people of different colours, races, beliefs.
The kid will play on the beach with black kids, white kids, languages they all learn together...
These things no education system can ever teach the dear brats.

To do it between 3 and 7 years old would be truly wonderful.

Yes, theres risks.. and parents trying to cotton coat their kids will hate it, but folks who let kids be kids will love it.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #33 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

I get the upside, but it doesn't eliminate the downside.

I've raised several 3 yr olds. Personally, I would have found doing so on a boat to be very, very difficult. As I said, I know some do it successfully. Doubt all would have the same experience, because all the variables aren't manageable. Those formative years can also throw some curve balls that can either happen near appropriate care, or in a desolate anchorage. Parent's choice. Just beware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #34 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Dock

I haven't had kids.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #35 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Those were very thoughtful posts when discussing boredom. There’s another concern as well. Independence.
We have one dinghy. We have a 46’ boat. That means we are together just about 24/7/365. Almost always within visual sight of each other. Wife was a specialty nurse mostly working a pediatric step down unit in a tertiary hospital. Spent her days with very sick newborns in isolation most of the time . Calling for the NPs or MDs only when needed. She worked at a different hospital then me so her work friends were entirely different. Her work and mine was entirely different. We spent fewer waking hours together than apart. She was totally independent.
Now she is dependent. She doesn’t have my mechanical skills. If something breaks I fix it. She often helps but it’s on me. When we started cruising she had minimal exposure to coastal cruising. I taught her to sail having bought a psc34 to do so. So I’m the captain.
She was a Chatty Cathy with friends and family. We both prefer anchorages devoid of services and manmade things so spend a lot of time with no cell or internet service.
Both of us require intellectual stimulation. She requires social stimulation more than I. This is difficult in countries where your native language is not the native language or even working through local syntax and accent.
She is way more important to me than the boat. So we take breaks from the boat. This year it’s leaving it on the hard for hurricane season in Grenada. Prior years it was a long break at home during the holidays and a short break at Easter.
Doing a few months cruising as a trial isn’t living your life cruising. It’s when it strikes you “this is what I’m doing for the foreseeable future.
You see a lot of alcohol abuse. Some broken marriages. Some very depressed people. Quite a few single old duffers. But there are huge upsides. Big challenges. Great peace and harmony. Each day is new if you make it so. It’s attitude.
When things break or you’re dispensing boat units ($1000) need to repeat “it’s a boat” several times then get on with it.
We have a small placard “all you need is love and a sunset”.
Another by the companionway steps reads”whenever everything else fails try what the captain suggested”.
Find those who have humor and love succeed. Those who are egocentric, inattentive, demanding or rigid don’t.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #36 of 107 Old 06-18-2019
bell ringer

Before I left I sold everything except what was on the boat and 1 box of "history". I never worried about needing a "base" to come back to as I understand you can get a new "base" anywhere pretty easy. Plus why would I want to return to the old "base" when I can chose a new location if/when needed.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #37 of 107 Old 06-18-2019 Thread Starter

More great thoughtful replies, thank you everyone. I really do appreciate the nearly perfect split of go for it\don't go for it, each viewpoint are just as important as the other.

Grenada for hurricane storage, good to know, I've been told by alot of people Trin was a good place to use, but maybe that's dated now. Easily updated plan.

I think that to say there wouldn't be challenges cruising with a toddler would be silly of me and pure denial. However that's why taking a year or so to do it would be the best way to go. WX forecasts are never perfect (ask a Great Lakes sailor like me...) but having more than a week or two charter period means we could take our time and select weather windows. Yes there will be some bumpy rides but we can reduce the odds dramatically by adding patience time and planning. A big part of bringing her was the life experience as well, for her to meet foreign cultures when she will still consider them "just people" rather than being conscious of our differences, an unbiased mind of a child is a great thing to expose to the world I think. We did Costa Rica with her already and other than the 6hr flight it was great.

My wife has been very much into the sailing life as well. We have spent every night for years now watching youtube channels based on sailing (no, not just the pretty ones like vagabonde lol). We've talked for ages on retiring on a boat and sailing to Scotland (where my family is from) and then over to Greece (where her family is from). Retirement is far off, and with my years in as a Ranger I've had more than a few major injuries (a couple deaths I came back from too) that I have no doubt will haunt me in my 60's and make a north atlantic crossing....challenging. So why wait our entire lives to try living on a boat only to find out we missed "the window" possibly.

The issues that pushed the agenda up are real, and not so much "run away" material as much as "why not do it now" material. Her hospital is so woefully under-staffed that she cannot get time off. Taking a week, or 6 months off, is a non-option as they physically do not have enough nurses to cover shifts anymore and it's not getting better. She is the highest in seniority and is denied her vacation requests all the time. They are "letting her" plan vacation time in November currently...but it won't be guaranteed until about October so who knows...She's a prisoner of work, and with the shortage of staff she can leave anytime and return to a job with her employer holding open begging arms easily. Also as I mentioned, our daughter is old enough now to be mobile and can at least appreciate some of this type of trip, but isn't sold old that she would be missing proper school back home and stability in a house.

My work has been very busy. It is giving me burn out and I've been looking for a change for a while now. I'm in an acting assignment with a separate section of my division right now just to mix it up a bit. We were already planning a change anyways, just weren't really mobilized yet. We live 320km from my family (closest family) and my parents are at the age of failing health. Our services living here are limited and we want a brighter future for our daughter with better options for schooling when she's of age. To top it off our boat is 300km away as well just outside the city my family is all from. So everything is pointing us south. If we decided to sell and move we could pretty much walk into a new home and have it paid off (including what we sell ours for) in just a couple years. Our boat is paid off as well. So why not split the money we make selling the property and use half of it to sail our dream for a year or so and then return home for our daughter to get into school, for us to get new jobs with better "work\life balance", to be closer to family, to be closer to our boat and sailing grounds (assuming we don't leave her in Grenada), and we would still have the mortgage paid off 10years before we would retire. Hopefully that made sense lol, I know we are a bit way off topic here.

Don't worry Mark, I'm well aware of what the brokers\agents do! I'm curious of his assessment today if he makes it out. I will say that I am quite confident in my houses value because I've lived here so long and because land taxes are under 400$CND a year here so what most do who live near me is advertise their property for sale but in Toronto ads and people from down there JUMP to buy up here. Taxes are practically non-existent, and my house and location is worth in the $1,000,000+ range from Muskoka's south, so many of them buy here and keep it as a cottage. The day we bought back in 2007 I made up a down payment and contract and had my brother and wife RUN it out to the lake to get the sellers to sign (private sale) literally as I loaded on a helicopter to go to a fire. They got the signatures and when they were leaving someone pulled into the driveway asking to see the house. My wife told them we just bought it and the couple were disappointed and stated they drove all the way from Windsor to come and pay asking price for the house. Since then, because the house was a private sale, there's all kinds of websites the PO's had advertised on that I wasn't aware of. Literally over a decade of owning my place and I still get calls, emails, and the odd person wandering around my yard (yep) scoping things out interested in buying it lol. It's been hard finding all those ads and closing them down. I'm tired of strangers looking in my windows!

EDIT: some spelling
chall03 and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

Last edited by Guyfromthenorth; 06-18-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #38 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Sounds like you're carefully considering all the factors. I wouldn't try to talk you into or out of it, just give you food for thought. Best of luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-18-2019)
post #39 of 107 Old 06-18-2019 Thread Starter

Already found 2 "wanted" ads from people down south looking for homes on my lake specifically. Meeting with the realtor in an hour, I'll see what he thinks.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #40 of 107 Old 06-18-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Liza Copeland thoroughly enjoyed cruising with her kids. Wish I had heard about them 25 years ago!

She has tons of ideas (in her books) to keep them occupied and educated. Link to their site below...

https://www.aboutcruising.com/

Tartan 31
The Following User Says Thank You to scubadoo For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in