What did you do with your property before you left for the horizon? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Re: What did you do with your property before you left for the horizon?

Hook into the daily vhf webs as you cruise the islands. Some even have a section where the kids run it and talk between themselves.
George Town (chicken harbor) has the best home schooling support.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Dock

On renting out the house:

I've in my 6th year as an absentee landlord of a house that used to be home. I had a bad property management company, now I have a good one. Night and day difference. And I've given your question a lot of thought.

To sail away and put it on auto-pilot you will need to set the rent to cover all probable expenses (changes in mortgage escrow (you'll lose homestead exemptions), regular maintenance not covered by the renter, major appliance failure, cleaning and painting if tennants change etc... You'll want to enable your property manager to make decisions and pay bills without your input, which will mean access to the bank account, maybe power of attorney (wht if the loan servicing company changes), etc... you get the idea. If all goes well, you come back in a few years with a surplus of contingency $$ in the rental account, use it to repair the house and live happlily ever after.

The best way I've found to locate a decent property manager is to survey realestate agents. Some may want to do it for you, some won't touch it know someone who does. Their business runs on reputation so if you talk to enough of them, the good ones stand out.
mbianka likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-18-2019)
post #43 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
What is the "Nevada mentality"?
It’s a joke...gambling term....all in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #44 of 107 Old 06-18-2019

I sold EVERYTHING except my Jeep, Boston Whaler and Kayak before buying the boat to explore on. By everything I mean house, appliances, clothes, Catalina 30 and everything in between. Then I set out on an Appalachian Trail adventure while looking for the boat I knew long ago I wanted. When I eventually found her, moving aboard was a serious “upgrade” from living in my Jeep, tents on the trail and the occasional hotel/motel. Not how most do it obviously, but whatever “fits” your situation best is what’s right for you. I run into too many “cruisers” who have the boat, but can’t sell the house so they’re trapped for now. Renting can be a serious hassle (BTDT) when you’re in another country. You can always buy another (house,car,clothes,kids (j/k) or whatever. You cannot buy more time. As I neared my eligibility for retirement (Army) I suddenly found myself in a wheelchair I couldn’t get out of. Dreams are painful when they become impossible. At that moment I had wished I had done more, sooner...and this coming from someone who has already been all over the world. It took years but I beat the odds for now and wasted no time in getting my dreams moving, all else be damned. I sold everything at break even for me prices to unload it all quickly. Took almost a year. I’m currently typing this from my cockpit a week and a half from launch and I’m totally on top of my own world. Regret nothing at this point. Again, do what fits your situation best. Hope that was helpful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alanr77 For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-19-2019), MarkofSeaLife (06-19-2019)
post #45 of 107 Old 06-19-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
As I neared my eligibility for retirement (Army) I suddenly found myself in a wheelchair I couldn’t get out of. Dreams are painful when they become impossible. At that moment I had wished I had done more, sooner...and this coming from someone who has already been all over the world. It took years but I beat the odds for now and wasted no time in getting my dreams moving, all else be damned. I sold everything at break even for me prices to unload it all quickly. Took almost a year. I’m currently typing this from my cockpit a week and a half from launch and I’m totally on top of my own world. Regret nothing at this point. Again, do what fits your situation best. Hope that was helpful.

LOL "Then I set out on an Appalachian Trail adventure while looking for the boat I knew long ago I wanted. When I eventually found her, moving aboard was a serious “upgrade” from living in my Jeep,"

What an inspiring story!
You write excellently and in a short post put us on a roller-coaster of emotion. Your ability to overcome adversity, physically and attitudinally is amazing.
Really lovely to read on this cold and rainy morning. You've brightened my day

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #46 of 107 Old 06-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
I sold EVERYTHING except my Jeep, Boston Whaler and Kayak before buying the boat to explore on. By everything I mean house, appliances, clothes, Catalina 30 and everything in between. Then I set out on an Appalachian Trail adventure while looking for the boat I knew long ago I wanted. When I eventually found her, moving aboard was a serious “upgrade” from living in my Jeep, tents on the trail and the occasional hotel/motel. Not how most do it obviously, but whatever “fits” your situation best is what’s right for you. I run into too many “cruisers” who have the boat, but can’t sell the house so they’re trapped for now. Renting can be a serious hassle (BTDT) when you’re in another country. You can always buy another (house,car,clothes,kids (j/k) or whatever. You cannot buy more time. As I neared my eligibility for retirement (Army) I suddenly found myself in a wheelchair I couldn’t get out of. Dreams are painful when they become impossible. At that moment I had wished I had done more, sooner...and this coming from someone who has already been all over the world. It took years but I beat the odds for now and wasted no time in getting my dreams moving, all else be damned. I sold everything at break even for me prices to unload it all quickly. Took almost a year. I’m currently typing this from my cockpit a week and a half from launch and I’m totally on top of my own world. Regret nothing at this point. Again, do what fits your situation best. Hope that was helpful.
THIS. All of THIS. Thanks Alan, I appreciate everything you wrote and it's exactly how I feel. I couldn't agree more with the fact that you cannot buy back time. I'm only 37 but I already feel like I'll be closing in on some limitations physically. Not that I'm in mid-life crisis mode here...yet. I've survived so much in my field as a Wildland Firefighter and have lots of scars, broken\healed bones, and torn apart\"healed" joints that I know the 60's won't be a great time for me until medical science gets alot better. I have spent so much time thinking and talking with my wife around the terrible thought of us planning to sail the world when "retired" only to wait 25 years and then find out we are too old and broken to do so. What a waste that would be and what a nightmare.

Made about 1k in the last couple days selling old tools and items from my house we don't use anymore on Facebook. Here's hoping we get good news on the home value next week when we hear back from the realtor. He seemed very excited and thought our house was not only very marketable but was one of the best he has seen in a very long time. In the end though I realize somethings worth is only whatever someone else will pay for it. Here's hoping we can cut loose and give it our best shot.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #47 of 107 Old 06-19-2019

For sure, we all face our own personal use-by dates. We have big plans too and already feel the weight of time on joints and other systems. On the other hand, we’ve grown our assets to afford a more comfortable ride. It’s the trade off. We have mentally prepared for the possibility of coming up craps, with our health, and never transiting the Panama Canal. If we’re confined to sailing New England’s coastal waters, in our older years, on fair days, and occasionally bareboating elsewhere with friends, we acknowledge we still won life’s lottery.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #48 of 107 Old 06-19-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
THIS. All of THIS. Thanks Alan, I appreciate everything you wrote and it's exactly how I feel. I couldn't agree more with the fact that you cannot buy back time. I'm only 37 but I already feel like I'll be closing in on some limitations physically. Not that I'm in mid-life crisis mode here...yet. I've survived so much in my field as a Wildland Firefighter and have lots of scars, broken\healed bones, and torn apart\"healed" joints that I know the 60's won't be a great time for me until medical science gets alot better. I have spent so much time thinking and talking with my wife around the terrible thought of us planning to sail the world when "retired" only to wait 25 years and then find out we are too old and broken to do so. What a waste that would be and what a nightmare….
Guy, I fully agree with you, and lets just say you and I are not far off in dealing with physical impacts from serious youthful injuries. All this has pushed me to go early instead of waiting for “retirement.” I left when I was 48 when both of us (my spouse and I) were ready.

Just be aware (as I’m sure you are) that sometimes your dream is not her dream. And actually living on a boat is different than vacationing, and certainly different than what the videos make it out to be.

The cautionary voices here just don’t want to see you become yet another solo male sailor out there. That story is all too common.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-19-2019)
post #49 of 107 Old 06-19-2019

I find the dream meme a bit silly. What people should have are goals... attainable goals. Dreams has a strong element of fantasy. I suppose to move to a boat and sail is a fantasy for many. But for those who are doing it many many methodical steps must be taken. Who dreams about all the steps to get from here to there?
MikeOReilly and outbound like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #50 of 107 Old 06-19-2019

S has it right. Think it through. Make sure everyone is on board. Try it out in some non irreversible way. Go for it.
This thing about age is a bit overblown in my view. I see people in their late 70s and 80s doing passages let alone cruising.
Reality is with a properly laid out boat neither strength nor agility come into play.
The best teacher I had on running a boat was the local librarian. She was in her 70s. I was mid 30s. She taught me “if it’s hard you’re doing it wrong “. She taught me the right way ergonomically to pull a line and such. She was maybe all of a 100lbs. soaking wet. Lose the macho. Get rid of the spinnaker
It’s not in sailing a cruising boat but maintenance that agility and strength come into play. However you rapidly learn tricks to circumvent those limitations. And then again you can piss away a boat unit or two if necessary.
SanderO and MikeOReilly like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in