I'm designing an app for sailors - please help! - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I'm designing an app for sailors - please help!

Hi folks, I'm collecting input from sailors for a weather app I'm working on. If you have a minute, could you please share, which weather/tidal apps and websites you use to plan your voyages? What do you like about them and what could be improved?

Every little bit would help this UX designer!

Thanks so much in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: I'm designing an app for sailors - please help!

Is you app to be for fluid routing or just for specific locations?
post #3 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for replying! It is to be used anywhere in the world, so no focus on specific locations. Not sure if that's what you mean by 'fluid sailing'?

Just to elaborate, here's what I'm trying to understand:

1) which existing weather products are especially popular among recreational sailors;
2) how they are being used;
2) whether all the information users need is available in one place (or you need to download multiple apps to cover everything you need);
3) users' favorite features vs. what needs improvement/adding

post #4 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I think predictwind is probably tops now for predictive routing and is subscribe service for most benefits. Ive used it but am not now aubscribed..but plan to do so again.
Windfinder works well for me as an easy app and gives good info. Learning windfinder also shows me when squalls are possible/predicted by how their info is displayed..read what is missing/between the lines. Tide info is very helpful but not always listed if a tide station is not near. Another station could be listed with a warning that it wasnt near...so have a reference/control to use.

What people want to know is not what is happening now in one location but what is predicted to happen in many locations.

Beat of luck
post #5 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Passage weather and Windguru are good for me.
But downloadable Grib files are vastly, vastly more important.

We get quite a few people writing new Apps for sailing.... most trying to monetise them and become millionaires whilst inundating the user with advertising. Most of the Navigation systems have weather built in.

Remember the stuff we use now is free. so yours needs to be very, very very economical for people to change and then it must be excellenter than anything else on the market. Its tough.

BTW I cant use WindyTT because I have dyslexia. Lots of new apps try to make things very graphical... but for me, just give me the facts and leave the graphics to picture books

Mark
Donna_F likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Overwhelmed by all the offerings. I sail locally and needs are satisfied by SailFlow, MyRADAR, Wind&Weather,SailGrib and others... I want reliable forecasts for only a week or so.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Passage weather and subscription service from Chris Parker +/or CommandersWeather. Find arrows with fletch bars easier to read. Find modifying files for SSB or staphone very helpful. Find cluttered screens with colors and automation both harder to interpret and harder to download even when on local WiFi. I take time to study each screen. That way you see how things are evolving. I also look at several different models. That way you can judge concordance and thereby likelihood of accuracy.
I also donít want wave height on the same screen as wind. I do want a screens of barometric pressures. I also look at noaa weather charts and the 500mb if itís going to be more than a daysail. Have windy and the rest on the iPad but rarely use them.
An app that collated the above so you could download any or all of the above for common passages and cruising grounds might have some utility. A reproduction of whatís out there already doesnít.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #8 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Passage weather and Windguru are good for me.
But downloadable Grib files are vastly, vastly more important....

Mark
I prefer synoptic charts over Grib files as gribs don't show fronts.

Offshore we get weather charts from our HF radio connected to a laptop or iPad. An app won't work outside of cell range and near shore I'm just fine with the interactive buoys and the U.S. National Weather Service data which almost all U.S.-based apps just repackage into a pretty UI.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #9 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
I prefer synoptic charts over Grib files as gribs don't show fronts.

Yep, thats their failing.
None of the satellite programs I use have synoptic charts.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Concerning graphic weather "data" for sailors.... Are there any "programs" or apps..... which can display different data as layers on the same screen? And if one could control the density/transparency and where in the stack of layers each data graphic was it would allow one to get a more complete understanding of what was going on.

I work with a CAD program which allows layers which can be turned on or off, grayed and moved up or down. So if you are designing a house, for example... you could have a layer showing the walls, another with lighting.. another with wiring... another with materials, or furniture. I find use of layers a very powerful tool.

Why not have environmental data available as layers?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in