made it to Hawaii - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
dadio917

made it to Hawaii

My wife and I completed our first ocean passage together. I've done a couple and we've both coasted, but not 2200nm of water. left Monterey ca and arrived kona coast about 19 days later. winds 15-30. 2/3 of passage in clouds and kind of nasty square waves about 2-3m and 6 seconds. not dangerous but not all that comfortable and we reefed most of the time so didn't break any speed records. Made it with fingers and toes intact. Boat never complained but then she is a Valiant. My wife did great although she's decided crossing oceans are not for her. She'll do the trip back to Colombia river but that it'll be it. Fine with me....i'll be happy to be back in the northwest and hit the Canadian cruising grounds.

after some experimenting and not much sleep we settled into 2 each 3 hour watches at night and two 6 hour watches per day.

only had one failure when lost hinge pin on the monitor rudder. Had to go over the side in the bosuns chair to replace. This included several refreshing dunkings into the sea.

so...will cruise islands for a couple months and head north in August modulo weather window.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: made it to Hawaii

Congrats. I head East. You’ll get back to the PNW eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Good show

Nice couples shakedown

post #4 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Love the dunkings!
Over the side in the bosuns chair must have been a tad nervy. (he says with some understatement)

I have heard that the Hawaii crossing is not warm and toasty until you get there.

Good to see you did 6 hour watches in the day. I dont like 3 hour watches at all. (unless its 3 on, 6 off )
My watch system for 2 people is:

0000-0400
0400-0800
0800-1300
1300-1900
1900-0000
*Person ON watch cooks!
Rotates automatically. Gives each person a long 5 hour sleep in darkness every second nigh, the alternative day they get the 6 hour afternoon nap.

I have not done this trip... nor researched it... but Jimmy Cornell says best to do it June to September. Go down the coast to Mendicino and then turn onto the GC Route to Hawaii. Is that the route you took? (Not suggesting anyone should follow in Cornell's footsteps... otherwise I wonder if I have done my own passage or Jimmys!)

One of the difficulties about going 1 season is one must leave early to get a full summer. Maybe too early. Its the main reason for difficulties in the North Atlantic Caribbean to Europe... people want to be in Europe for summer/charter season so leave the Caribbean in April instead of the safer late May/1st week of June. That timing difference is quite, quite important.

The return trip in August the North Pacific High means going due north to 45N then turning east. another cold trip, perhaps?
It can be frustrating that to get the best weather for sailing, you'd go to Hawaii in July - blowing that summer, have winter in hawaii and then sail back to the PNW the next July - blowing that summer!

This is why the line "go towards the equator till the butter melts - and stay there" makes it easy.

Congrats on one of the worlds great passages
Enjoy Hawaii.

Mark
chall03 likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
dadio917

Hi Mark
my wife really didn't like 4 hr watches at night so...…and she cooked!

as for route, we started in SF bay. after watching perfect weather for a straight shot from SF in April it turned crappy in CA for May which is when we were done preping. So we caught a weather window for short hop down to Monterey. Sat there for about 10 days waiting for reasonable weather to proceed. Winds were pretty heavy south so we left Monterey and for a fairly straight shot. used Predictwind via iridium Go to pick our routes. We learned to add about 5 knots to gusts and a ft. or two to the predictwind forecasts. I had sailed to HI from the south pacific which I thought a more comfortable passage than from the west coast. But..different time different weather

Cruising guide says August has low chance of gales up north and the high should move east a bit, hence the august target. but, we'll see. might be tempted to load up on fuel cans and cheat the high with motoring a bit.

but for now....its explore the islands.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #6 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Very impressive!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Well done!
post #8 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Congratulations!
post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Love the dunkings!
Over the side in the bosuns chair must have been a tad nervy. (he says with some understatement)

I have heard that the Hawaii crossing is not warm and toasty until you get there.

Good to see you did 6 hour watches in the day. I dont like 3 hour watches at all. (unless its 3 on, 6 off )
My watch system for 2 people is:

0000-0400
0400-0800
0800-1300
1300-1900
1900-0000
*Person ON watch cooks!
Rotates automatically. Gives each person a long 5 hour sleep in darkness every second nigh, the alternative day they get the 6 hour afternoon nap.

I have not done this trip... nor researched it... but Jimmy Cornell says best to do it June to September. Go down the coast to Mendicino and then turn onto the GC Route to Hawaii. Is that the route you took? (Not suggesting anyone should follow in Cornell's footsteps... otherwise I wonder if I have done my own passage or Jimmys!)

One of the difficulties about going 1 season is one must leave early to get a full summer. Maybe too early. Its the main reason for difficulties in the North Atlantic Caribbean to Europe... people want to be in Europe for summer/charter season so leave the Caribbean in April instead of the safer late May/1st week of June. That timing difference is quite, quite important.

The return trip in August the North Pacific High means going due north to 45N then turning east. another cold trip, perhaps?
It can be frustrating that to get the best weather for sailing, you'd go to Hawaii in July - blowing that summer, have winter in hawaii and then sail back to the PNW the next July - blowing that summer!

This is why the line "go towards the equator till the butter melts - and stay there" makes it easy.

Congrats on one of the worlds great passages
Enjoy Hawaii.

Mark
Actually, for those of us raised on the right coast, the trip to Hawaii is considered about the easiest 2000 run on the planet. Not only is it generally good weather, with little shipping but you don't need any form of navigational equipment at all, as there is a jet headed to or from Honolulu every 20 minutes. Just look up and follow the contrails.
In my youth, it was said an old lady in a bathtub can make it from Frisco to Honolulu.
Not to diminish the feat as the water gets pretty darn deep out there, and there are some mighty big creatures that lurk beneath the sea.
My sympathies to the OP who won't have an offshore sailing partner, after the trip home. Sad.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Funny how some things said...while being true...can come into perfect conflict to minimize other things...which are also true...ending in a general disarray of ideas....when, in fact, the first truth was the celebration of triumph.
Sad that...
Kudos dadio917!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in