Miami to New York 7/19/2019 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Miami to New York 7/19/2019

First post been doing a lot of reading on this trip and looking for some other perspectives. We will be sailing Miami to Long Island. July 19,2019
Beneteau 48 6 draft 65 mast
We have no schedule and no passports. I am thinking from Miami first stop Westpalm or Fort pierce. Then on to Jacksonville or Saint Augustine's stop at Savannah Hilton head. From what I read I want to make my way into Morehead city before passing the Cape. Like to know from Morehead city how long is the sail or motor to the nearest stop. I'm doing a lot of reading about tape at a rest I see a lot of information traveling southbound but not that much going north.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 6 Days Ago

Dock
Re: Miami to New York 7/19/2019

Instead of Morehead city you could try Beaufort. Lovely area. Marina is expensive but they have 3 courtesy cars for free.
Trip outside around Cape Hatteras when the weather is correct.
There's a 64 foot bridge on the icw before Norfolk.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thanks

i will stop at Beaufort. I did not want to do any night time sailing or motoring if I can avoid.

Not in a hurry work can wait. Now I will go to Beaufort and the Morehead City? To be closer to the Cape to pass. From Morehead. Can I pass around and stop over pass the Cape in 12-14 hours daylight

What would be the next stop in that time frame

From what I am reading I might need to go 15 miles plus offshore to pass The Cape ??

I am with the wife and 16.19.21 year old boys / They have not been on a Boat since they were little and cant remember wish that was not the case Trip should be interesting

post #4 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
Administrator

Those are huge jumps if you do not plan to any night sailing. Also you are now in Hurricane and thunderstorm season so you will need to pay close attention to the weather. Looking at your itinerary, my sense is that you would be hard pressed to travel more than 100 miles a day if you are only traveling in day light. Six foot draft will limit some of the inlets that you might otherwise use to break up the trip. But taking your description at face value, you probably will need to travel at night if you actually do the Jacksonville or Saint Augustine's to Savannah or Hilton head as a single leg since that is roughly 150-180 nm but more realistically that is probably two legs. Hilton Head to Beaufort, N.C. is roughly 300 miles and so would more realistically be 3 or 4 days if you don't travel at night. On the other hand, Miami to Beaufort, N.C. can be done in 4 days as a single round the clock offshore leap.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Running strange inlets late in the day with the sun in your eyes is generally regarded as a BAD IDEA.

You are better planning to leave late in the day sail conservatively overnight and make landfall mid morning with the sun behind you this is MUCH SAFER.

Either run the ditch [ with a towing company plan paid up ] or look for a delivery skipper to help you with the offshore stuff.

Miami to Beaufort Inlet leg 1 Wait in Beaufort for a good weather window for an outside passage round Cape Hatteras but the ICW to the Chesapeake is always there.
post #6 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago

Contrary to all the opinions you'll hear, you can sail offshore at night. With the help of the Gulf Stream really impressive 24 hour runs are possible making the trip an easy two week jaunt including several stops along the way. Would head into Charleston rather than Savanah though you could try both. Food, She Crab Soup and Grits, in Charleston is more than worth the stop. As long as you don't have northerly winds against the Stream current would stay outside the whole way with occasional stops. With the exception of the Dismal Swamp Cut, the Intercostal is a PITA that is slow, painful and hot motoring trip and with your draft will give you a chance to practice kedging off. Do not try the ICW at night unless you really really want to improve your kedging off skills.
post #7 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thank you All I do not know if the ICW is an option with 65 ft mast at all
I was not as clear as I should have been.
I do plan on day only moving during daylight hours. Hoping to leave each morning at day break. 8-12 hours a day Depending on what I estimate travel that day
Sailing and distance per day will depend on the where I can come into before night fall.
Florida Looks like I can do Miami to West Pam of Fort Pierce 65-80 miles I have to look whats the next From West Palm to ? in Florida
I can duct into.

Looks like
St Aug to Jacksonville 30 miles
Jacksonville to Savannah 118 miles or Beaufort
Savannah to Charleston 78 miles
From here is where I do not see any spots to meet my miles per day
post #8 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago

Agree with roverhi. Think it much less stressful to just wait for good weather windows and make longer jumps. Until you get up to the Chesapeake bay the landfalls are the high stress moments. OP is on a decent size boat and reports not being time restricted. So has the opportunity to wait between jumps. Also night sailing is beautiful. Given the longer jumps spending the time to get into the stream makes sense. The improvement in days work is quite significant. Just never enter if any north to the wind. Wind against wave sucks.
Would note the ICW between Norfolk and oriental is one of the most booring things I’ve done. Our airdraft is 64’3” with tanks half full. Worth while to actually measure it and not accept manufacturers report.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 5 Days Ago at 07:17 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Planning day only sails leaves you running strange inlets at dusk with the sun in your eyes. This is how to lose your boat.

I would put the mast on the deck and run the ditch rather than risk that.
post #10 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Plan on tasering the mast tomorrow
Sailing with the wife and three boys. 16,19,21 No experience Only me and honey.
Crash course for boys . New systems on board for me
Shes wanting to do less and enjoy more LOL
This was the reason to day sail. Not sure how the boys will handle the night sail.
Been reading on weather forecast
most post state not so accurate.
Can you suggest sites for real time

Looks like I will adjust my leaves time earlier

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in