Canadian boaters entering other countries: "Boat Registration" document definition? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 07-10-2019

Dock
Re: Canadian boaters entering other countries: "Boat Registration" document definitio

If you guys don't mind me asking....

My boat is not registered or licensed (motor less than 10hp). I live approximately 30NM from the USA and plan to sail there in the near future.

My only proof of ownership is the sales receipt. AFAIK, this is the only requirement for my boat living in Ontario

Any idea if I will have a problem entering/visiting the USA?

Thanks in advance guys.

C&C 24
ISPA Day Skipper, Coastal Navigator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 07-10-2019

Re: Canadian boaters entering other countries: "Boat Registration" document definitio

I sometimes wonder if the US customs and immigration experience on the Great Lakes is different from elsewhere. On the lakes, folks commonly go back and forth for lunch. To this day, some do it without checking in on either end. I'm not recommending it. Still, I wonder if they have different rules for Canadians up there. IOW, if a Canadian boat showed up on the coast of North Carolina, I wonder if the license would pass muster. I really don't know.

Still, if you get your cruising permit, you should be in. You'll have to call and let CBP know your every move as you transit the country. A real PITA.
Guyfromthenorth likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-10-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
if a Canadian boat showed up on the coast of North Carolina, I wonder if the license would pass muster. I really don't know.
Yes, anywhere on the East Coast, & Gulf States and Bahamas it is routine.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #14 of 18 Old 07-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymbly1971 View Post
If you guys don't mind me asking....

My boat is not registered or licensed (motor less than 10hp). I live approximately 30NM from the USA and plan to sail there in the near future.

My only proof of ownership is the sales receipt. AFAIK, this is the only requirement for my boat living in Ontario

Any idea if I will have a problem entering/visiting the USA?

Thanks in advance guys.
Original bill of sale should be fine, thats all I take. Sometimes I just scoot across for lunch or to go to walmart (diapers are way cheaper in the states).

At times I haven't even take that, but then CBSA has given me grief coming back in because I can't prove I paid tax on it.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-11-2019 Thread Starter

The paperwork train continues....

So 3 days ago I called the help line and asked for assistance with forms. They of course won't speak to you and they will set up a call back. Well I just got my callback from Transport Canada. She confirmed I did the forms wrong and need to fix them. I also asked her if I need to do this in order to leave the country with my sailboat and she laughed and said OF COURSE. Now...that just means TC is firmly on the "you need to be registered to leave and enter foreign nations", but they can't speak for other Customs Agency policies so yes the US\Bahamas may let you in without issue forever, or one day they may change their mind, maybe 1 border guard will change his mind, hard to say. Either way I'm doing the paperwork.

Mistakes I made:
1) I selected that I'm only 10.03m in length so for Gross Tonnage I can default to 4.99 without calculating it. I also put this beside it in NET tonnage. Wrong. Leave that blank when selecting 4.99.
2) My wife's name is on the receipt, and on the License, so I put her as a joint owner. You would think the "shares in the vessel" would go 50\50 right since 100% divided in half would be 50? WRONG. It's 64\64 (no idea why...).
3) I filled out a Form 1 and the Payment Form. I apparently was also required to fill out:
a) Statement of Qualification Form 3 for both myself and my wife.
b) Declaration Form 10. (this has to be signed and witnessed by a Notary or similar)
c) Appoint of Authorization Form 14.

She also laughed when I asked if this would be completed in the 30days the website estimates. Apparently they are "understaffed and it's summer".

She said they will email me a completed Registration if I request it, so at least IF I leave before this is completed I can hopefully receive it to my cell phone before any borders ask to see it.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-11-2019
Dirt Free

Aking Transport Canada for advice on CBP matters is like asking the Ministry of Health for advice on Ministry of Labour law.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 07-11-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post

2) My wife's name is on the receipt, and on the License, so I put her as a joint owner. You would think the "shares in the vessel" would go 50\50 right since 100% divided in half would be 50? WRONG. It's 64\64 (no idea why...).

Section 53 of the Canada Shipping Act:
53*(1)*For the purposes of registration, the property in a vessel is divided into 64 shares.

It's a hold over from the UK Merchant shipping act. Pre calculators, 64 was in some ways an easier number to work with than 100. Divide by 2s. 100, 50, 25. 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1. Neat eh?

At least that's my understanding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (07-11-2019)
post #18 of 18 Old 07-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Section 53 of the Canada Shipping Act:
53*(1)*For the purposes of registration, the property in a vessel is divided into 64 shares.

It's a hold over from the UK Merchant shipping act. Pre calculators, 64 was in some ways an easier number to work with than 100. Divide by 2s. 100, 50, 25. 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1. Neat eh?

At least that's my understanding.
Thanks Arc, you learn something new everyday.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in