Home Ownership - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 07-24-2019

Re: Home Ownership

Home ownership is what you make of it. My wife’s parents bought a bunch of acres outside Ossippee NH. He got several Quonset huts for free when local military downsize. Put in a well,, a wood stove and built an outhouse (been moved several times). For the last 30 years once a year all the kids and spouses work on it for a weekend. Once a year each couple spend a weekend doing chores ( cutting trees, splitting, etc.) that’s a total of 12 days a year between the 6 of us. Rest is hunting,fishing, skiing, snowmobiles etc.).
We just built a house. Entire outside is plastic except exotic woods for decks, no gutters rather French drains, nearly no grass, lifetime or 30 year warranties on everything even on appliances. Geo and thermal. Other than than using the central vacuum and an occasional dusting (rare due to filtered air from geo) not much housework.
Boat is a constant work in progress. Always a hit list. Always scheduled maintenance to do.

Leaving a house for a boat in hopes that there be less work seems backwards to me. For houses at any end of the spectrum you decide how it’s set up and how much maintance you will put up with. For any cruising boat you don’t and the work will always be there.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 07-24-2019

Maintenance demands of the house and boat have ebbs and flows. Each have a routine, each have surprises. Each have lulls. House projects have a propensity to hear from the wife........ "while we're doing that, why not add this, expand that, etc" Those don't/can't happen aboard.

The bottom line for me is I enjoy doing maintenance on the boat and hate doing it on the house.

I just put new sails on the boat and was very excited to use them. Years ago, I put a new roof on the house and it did nothing for me.
wymbly1971 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 25 Old 07-24-2019
Master Mariner

As a kid, my dad made me mow his darn lawn with one of those old hand push mowers even though he could afford better. I swore I'd never own a home with a lawn.
When it came time to retire about 10 years ago, I started looking around for a place to actually live and a home to buy, but quickly realized that since I'd not lived in a dirt dwelling since 1969 I didn't know anything about them. Also, it was kinda my thought I'd spend much of my retirement traveling. Did it make any sense to invest in a home that was empty for a good part of the year?
So, I gave up that silly idea and bought another boat.
Attached Thumbnails
SS to F de F 4.JPG  

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 07-24-2019 at 09:56 AM.

post #14 of 25 Old 07-24-2019 Thread Starter

Haha! When I was in highschool my parents bought a 22 acre farm. I had to use the push mower for the acre and a half around the house. When I went back home after basic training, before I went to my first duty station, they had a riding mower!
post #15 of 25 Old 07-24-2019

Capta feel your pain. Conservation just left the house as we are inside a park and inside the”do not disturb zone”. He suggested instead of grass plant wild flowers. They now sell wild flower mixes just like grass seed. Once a year you cut it down with a weedwacker. No mowing. Lots of birds, bees and bunnies. Anyone want to buy a lawnmower?

Houses have much more maintenance because people have pre conceived ideas of what should be. Using local plants and with some planning you can eliminate a lot of yard work and have more beauty. The highly tended to grass lawn is relatively new occurrence in the US. Imported from the wealthy landed nobles of Britain.
bigdogandy, capta and Minnesail like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #16 of 25 Old 07-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
......The highly tended to grass lawn is relatively new occurrence in the US. Imported from the wealthy landed nobles of Britain.
Not to mention, the toxic impact of all the chemical fertilizer and insecticide that followed in prolific amounts.
outbound likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 25 Old 07-24-2019

I wonder how many of those casting aspersions at home ownership will fare in their twilight years. Let’s face it, my parents (and likely many of yours) sold their dirt-planted homes for more than 20x their original purchase price, after raising a family there. Heck, I sold my own first home for 2x the purchase price, after just a few short years in the place. Meanwhile, new sailboats depreciate at almost a similar rate to housing appreciation.

For those of my parents generation, this is the difference of growing $20k to $600k, or $50k to $1M... versus watching the same investment depreciate to nearly nothing, on a boat over the course of 30 years.

Good for you if you can afford that sort of hit, and not worry about you finances lasting you through your twilight years, but it’s not a factor to be ignored in this conversation.
post #18 of 25 Old 07-24-2019

I wish what DR said was currently true. Unfortunately ROI for residential real estate is not the investment it once was. I just completed building our “last house”. Wife wants no nursing home so built with that in mind. Financial advisor gave us the cold shower. Given it was built with cash on hand and no mortgage (no interest credit) we would have done better with a rental and have left capital in investments.
capta, Minnesail and wymbly1971 like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #19 of 25 Old 07-24-2019

Dock

One significant thing that a house can provide is equity....buy at a good point in the right market and a home can be a great investment.

Boats are obviously the exact opposite.

I have friends that kept their homes when they moved aboard and use them for rental income....not a bad gig if you set things up well. And they have their homes to move back into when they get too old to sail.

YMMV
DinghyRace likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #20 of 25 Old 07-24-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinghyRace View Post
I wonder how many of those casting aspersions at home ownership will fare in their twilight years. Let’s face it, my parents (and likely many of yours) sold their dirt-planted homes for more than 20x their original purchase price, after raising a family there. Heck, I sold my own first home for 2x the purchase price, after just a few short years in the place. Meanwhile, new sailboats depreciate at almost a similar rate to housing appreciation.

For those of my parents generation, this is the difference of growing $20k to $600k, or $50k to $1M... versus watching the same investment depreciate to nearly nothing, on a boat over the course of 30 years.

Good for you if you can afford that sort of hit, and not worry about you finances lasting you through your twilight years, but it’s not a factor to be ignored in this conversation.
I'd sure like to know what you consider one's twilight years. At 72 I kinda figured I was there or beyond.
However, one thing that does pass through my mind now & then while I'm doing some chore or going on an adventure ashore (grocery shopping) is what I'd be doing instead if I lived ashore.
Out the door into some fancy car/SUV direct to where I want to go. Buy just what I need, not scramble around trying to cobble together meals from whatever is actually available on that day at the shops that sometimes stock what we need. For dirt dwellers it's hey, no worry if there's a bit of inclement weather, the car's only 30 feet away, or even in the garage and what weather? No jumping in and out of a dinghy between squalls, riding a bus full of locals, who all say good morning (or whatever), to get where we need to be. I find the shock on the faces of strangers here in the US (I'm in the Boston/Providence area for a bit) a little sad when I say good morning or good day, even though most do recover and respond.
I often wonder what I'd actually be doing if I wasn't doing this and have pretty much concluded I probably wouldn't have lived this long.
As for finances, I chose an annuity and I've never looked back. We have a regular income we can count on no matter what (repeat; no matter what), and money going into an emergency fund. Of course, since I've been a liveaboard most of my life, there aren't too many surprises that the boat presents that I haven't experienced before.
I'm certainly not putting down anybody's choices, but for me, I think this life works out well.
Attached Thumbnails
carriacou taxi stand sm.jpg  
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in