Home Ownership - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Donovan

Home Ownership

I am planning on Living aboard in the near future (slip availability seeming to be the biggest challenge in San Diego). As I have been getting back up to speed with this 20 year old Idea, I was taking care of my house this weekend (rental, sold my house during my divorce). For all the work I hear about boats being, and I am not dismissing it, how many people forget how much work and maintenance a house can me. I am in a 2800 square foot house. Two air conditioning units, yard work, cleaning three bathrooms, cleaning the floors (2800 sqft!!), termites, other critters, fences and gates, two car garage full of.... then there are the toys you accumulate in all that space, Jeep, Motorcycle, bikes...

Guess what I wonder, my house is a ton of work, as I start to downsize and get rid of everything life is much more organized and easier. I have to think this will make up for a lot of the work I will encounter maintaining the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 6 Days Ago

Re: Home Ownership

My wife and I hate house work. A week after we moved into our first house, after an hour of yard work, we both looked at each other with the exact same thought in our heads: we should've bought a bigger boat instead.

I much prefer and am more motivated by boat work and projects. Both are a lot of work, but I won't miss the house or what it entails when we're gone on our sabbatical in 2020, onboard the boat full time.
post #3 of 25 Old 6 Days Ago

2,800 in SanDiego Ca ? What are the comps. ? Did the wife get the house ? Well OK you sold it . So what is your budget for your live aboard boat and what boats interest you . I'm in Long Beach Ca. and live aboard slips are tight here too . But not impossible . We are sneak a boards in the summer time . Would like to hear moor of your story .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 6 Days Ago at 11:10 PM.

post #4 of 25 Old 6 Days Ago

I fully agree with the premise that home ownership is both a ton of work and it's very expensive. The point about a garage full of toys is one of the reasons. The other can be all the upgrades, decorating, big screen TVs, etc that just can't happen aboard.

Admittedly, we have both. However, our boat is essentially our waterfront summer home. It is remarkably less expensive that it would have been to buy and maintain a waterfront house. Not to mention, our view changes at will.
jephotog, eherlihy and wymbly1971 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 25 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Donovan

I am adding the bills up. I am actually Temecula area now. $2200 for rent. Estimating another $600 for all my other bills. Electric, Gas, internet... I already ditched direct TV, switched to YouTube TV for local programing. Starting to sell the toys in the garage. Have a few finances to deal with in the next couple months. (Taxes that got messed up during divorce)

I was hoping to finance a boat up to $50K. Looks like that could cost me up to $500 a month. I have my name on a waiting list at Fiddlers Cove in San Diego right now. Going to go down and check out another marina or two this weekend. Fiddlers Cove is a military marina so its about half the cost of everyone else. Hopefully that works out but will look at other options as well. If I could keep my Monthly cost for the boat and the slip under $1500 a month I would be happy.

My goal is to have something and at least living onboard on weekends by next fourth of July. Gave myself a year. Fiddlers cove gives you 12 days a month to be on the boat in non-live aboard status. If I have to go rent a room from someone for a while I will do that during the week. I am thinking it will all still be under what I am paying monthly now.
post #6 of 25 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Donovan View Post
I am planning on Living aboard in the near future (slip availability seeming to be the biggest challenge in San Diego). As I have been getting back up to speed with this 20 year old Idea, I was taking care of my house this weekend (rental, sold my house during my divorce). For all the work I hear about boats being, and I am not dismissing it, how many people forget how much work and maintenance a house can me. I am in a 2800 square foot house. Two air conditioning units, yard work, cleaning three bathrooms, cleaning the floors (2800 sqft!!), termites, other critters, fences and gates, two car garage full of.... then there are the toys you accumulate in all that space, Jeep, Motorcycle, bikes...

Guess what I wonder, my house is a ton of work, as I start to downsize and get rid of everything life is much more organized and easier. I have to think this will make up for a lot of the work I will encounter maintaining the boat.
Some key differences that I’ve noticed mostly revolve around the fact that most house work, barring roof failures or storm damage, can be “postponed” until convenient. On my sailboat there are many things that are “must do now” due to safety and seamanship concerns. It becomes a job in itself creating the “boat lists” outlining what needs to happen now and what are comfort and convenience items. Throw in two additional factors as well, you’re in the most corrosive environment on earth and everything is constantly being worked due to wind and waves. Additionally, whatever boat you buy will no doubt be encumbered by years of “owner modifications” that must be attended to.

As far as the basics, once you’ve went through the below the waterline stuff, as long as you keep the bottom clean, did the job right in the first place and work your seacocks monthly, the basic “keep the water out” premise isn’t that expensive. Properly done wiring kept off the bilge floor will last; bilge pumps tend to fail often but again, not that expensive. Deck leaks need to be properly attended to or they can and do lead to expensive repairs however if you ignore them the short term biggest downside is you’ll be wet all the time. Rigging must be inspected and maintained. I check my stays and cotter pins during my pre departure inspections. Keep on top of things and it’s not that expensive. “Deferred maintenance” from previous owners seems to jack prices up exponentially.

Keep the water out and structural safety should always get $$ first. Everything else can usually be worked on as you can. Don’t forget certifications for safety equipment as well.

While my home did cost a lot to maintain, the biggest difference is in time. I work/check/fix/inspect things on my boat daily. My house generally got attention when something broke or I noticed paint peeling etc.

It’s generally not maintaining the boat that costs so much. It’s getting it up to standard in the first place whilst keeping it safe and functional because you’re living on it/ using it.

I do all my own work and am a stickler for ABYC standards so for me, the cost difference is mostly in time, not as much $. My “minor refit” this spring on my 34’ cost me $9500 and three months of 12 hour days. Added up, if I had paid for labor, the labor alone would have been $32k. You do the math.

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alanr77; 5 Days Ago at 10:10 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Donovan

"...encumbered by years of “owner modifications” that must be attended to."

I have been looking at this a lot. What's the worth of boats advertising upgrades, vs. not being sure of the quality of the upgrade.

I bought a foreclosed house and had to deal with the same hassle.

I do understand what you are saying about the timeframe required for a boat vs. a home.
post #8 of 25 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
My “minor refit” this spring on my 34’ cost me $9500 and three months of 12 hour days. Added up, if I had paid for labor, the labor alone would have been $32k. You do the math.
What kind of timeline does this support? Not sure if it can all be quantified in time. When you say refit, was this correcting previous owners modifications or a, "It's been three years and I should do some preventative maintenance thing?"
post #9 of 25 Old 5 Days Ago

Dock

Home ownership is a luxury and a burden!

When I retired I sold the condo and almost everything in it.....in the last two years I’ve lived on my boat about 8 months each year and lived in my VW bus or out of my backpack the other 4. Bouncing between Florida & the Bahamas on the boat, North Carolina & West Virginia in the summers.

Much more freedom and adventure, much less expense.

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #10 of 25 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Admittedly, we have both. However, our boat is essentially our waterfront summer home. It is remarkably less expensive that it would have been to buy and maintain a waterfront house.
This is no more true anywhere than San Diego. For weather purposes, I can't think of a better place to live or own a second home. So many of the boats in the marina were second homes for people that lives all over the country. I compared slip prices in the bay area where real estate prices are some of the highest in the country and prices are much cheaper in the Bay Area than San Diego.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in