Alber 37 MkII - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Alber 37 MkII

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to buy a Alberg 37mkII, our budge is for around $25000 for the boat so we can have a little extra for upgrades, our plane is to sail de boat for around 2 years around were we leave ( MA-USA) and maybe start do some ocean crossing and long trip to South- America. We found a great Alberg for sale close to us looking good and on our price range, I have being reserching and ready about some limitations, would just love to listen some insight or maybe some other boats suggestion, I just being looking for 2 years and just seems if we don't buy a boat and just keeping looking for the perfect boat is never gone happen, wish my budge was bigger but that is how much we have, we are looking for a seaworthy boat safe for long passages and comfortable to leave on.

Thanks you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Alber 37 MkII

With your ambition and that budget, I'd suggest you look at a vessel like the Albin Vega 27. Its capable of offshore use and cheap enough you'd have some monwy left or upgrading it well.
$25000 does not go very far for world cruising.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:21 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you Sailingfool, we miss a chance off buy a Vega in ok condition for $5,000 2 years ago, my worrie as just the size as we plan to do some leave aboard, maybe for the summer here were we work. Trying to find a cost/size benefit.

post #4 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

The Alberg 37 is a good boat but there are other boats of similar quality out there cheaper. Have seen Pearson 35s priced in the teens that looked decent. Sailed mine to Hawaii solo. The Bristol is dirt cheap compared to other listings probably because the interior needs to be refinished. This boat will probably have more interior room than the Alberg and should sail better especially in light air. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...dard%20listing
Another boat to look at is the Bristol 35 though didn't see any in your area for sail. A boat I particularly like for it's sailing bility is the Tartan 34C. There have been a number available at a good price.
RegisteredUser and Moonrow like this.
post #5 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

For 2 people you will want some space/size...keep her happy for long trips.
I woudnt worry too much about original factory interior appoints...other than the galley. You will change how the cabin is used if living aboard.
Dont even think about small boats unless she is a proven camper type person.
The 34c mentionwd above will allow for nicw cockpit space...tiller
Moonrow likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the information, defenetly gone start looking for does boats, she is a good camper, but defenelty if we have more livable space woud be a plus, that was one the concerns about teh Alberg 37 in my mind the LOA being longer I tought would have more space but clear is a very narrow boat.
post #7 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
With your ambition and that budget, I'd suggest you look at a vessel like the Albin Vega 27. Its capable of offshore use and cheap enough you'd have some monwy left or upgrading it well.
$25000 does not go very far for world cruising.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This X1000. There is much wisdom in having at a minimum, half the purchase price set aside for repairs and refit. It will need it. Especially when dealing with old boats, which I happen to love as well. Go to your local marinas and talk to people working on their boats in the back lots of the yards. Especially those who are new owners. They’ll tell you the truth. Not to discourage you, but most people buy too much boat and don’t consider the refit costs. SFool is 100% accurate. Listen to him.
Moonrow likes this.

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the information, I come across this one today on my research after Roverhi Suggestion, is a good price and we still have some extra money to help with the refit, the plan is to have the boat on the water for a year or two and really being sailing again, for we can start to do some long jurneys later.

This one seems to be a good compromise on size/price. 1972 Tartan 34c on sailboalisting for $14,000 that seems in good condition for a start.
post #9 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

As others have said, for what you want to do and in you price range there are a lot better boats out there;( that will sail better in light or heavier winds, be easier to handle, and have maybe more interior space, maybe more carrying capacity, better motions, and better or equal build quality) than the Alberg 37.

The Tartan 34c is certainly one of them. Off the top of my head, here are a few more:
Apache 37 (S&S Design)
Bristol 35.5 (Hood /Empacher)
Bristol 33/34. (Halsey Herreshoff design)
Clearwater 36
CS 36
Ericson 35
Ericson 38
Hughes 38
LeCompte Northeast 38-3
Sabre 34
Tartan 33

Hopefully, this will provide some additional food for thought,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
Moonrow (3 Weeks Ago)
post #10 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago
1968 Columbia 50

I would also add a Hunter 37C, a very well built Cherubini design, with a cutter rig. They have a cult following, and are a much better build than the standard Hunter, but also have a separate shower for the Misses, and sail quite well. They are hard to find for sale, people tend to hang onto them.

Just my .02...

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
The Following User Says Thank You to SV Siren For This Useful Post:
Moonrow (3 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in