SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   San Diego (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/330702-san-diego.html)

Bryan Donovan 07-23-2019 09:39 AM

San Diego

I have my name on the waitlist for Fiddlers Cove in San Diego. I mentioned on another post I was going to look at one or two more marinas this weekend but wanted to ask on a separate thread if there was anyone who recommends any in particular? Or ones to avoid? Was going to look at Pier 32 and Chula Vista I think. Maybe get up near Shelter Island.

Should add, I am on the list as a prospective buyer. Looking for a boat in the 30-42 foot range. Still early.

I did search and found one other San Diego Marina thread but it didn't have much.

capttb 07-23-2019 09:58 AM

Re: San Diego

Local boating newspaper is The Log, they publish a guide annually that lists all marinas on the west coast, San Diego starts on page 4.
https://www.thelog.com/digital_editi...gital-edition/
What size waitlist are you on ? 30', 35' and 40' are usual sizes. You might want to check the Del Mar boat basin, it's in Oceanside Harbor but part of Camp Pendleton and only available to those with a DOD ID.
http://www.mccscp.com/marina/#155113...-d343dd9a-ef69

Bryan Donovan 07-23-2019 10:32 AM

I put my name on the list as a prospective buyer 32-42 foot range. Slip size of 30 or 40 feet. Looks like that will put me about Number 13 on the list for the 40ft slip. They said if was in the 30 foot slip would be pretty quick. So I am looking for boats in that range more now. Person who is number 1 on the list for 40 feet looks like he has been on the list for about a year and half.

Delmar will be a little to hard for me to get to work. Plus, I want to have the bay to sail in for now.

zeehag 07-23-2019 11:03 AM

contact the san diego mooring company for a temp ball until you get your fiddlers cove slip??? prices were reasonable when i left and itis a secure place to place boat until your permanent slip frees up.....

overbored 07-23-2019 11:10 AM

Are you look to be a live aboard because that is a different list at most marinas

Bryan Donovan 07-23-2019 11:34 AM

One thing I wasn't certain about was what happens when you buy a boat in a slip. Does the Marina want you out tomorrow! Or can you negotiate a period in any way. 30-60 days?

I put my name on a slip and the live aboard list.

overbored 07-23-2019 12:08 PM

it depends on the marina sometimes it depends who you buying the boat from as in buying through the dealer that is based at a marina. most will give you 30 days. when I bought my last boat through the dealer in San Diego they got me to the top of the wait list and in a slip the same day the boat arrived and was launched. Dealer pays rent to the marina for their shop and dealer gets you a slip. some times you buy a boat and the owner is going to keep the slip for his next boat so they can sublease it to you until they get their new boat. there is no set rule, it is all part of the deal
It is good that you are dealing with this before you get a boat with nowhere to put it. slips for smaller boats are easier but 40' and above is very hard through out So Cal. San Diego is about the easiest place to find one, live boards is a different story. many have a limited places and don't allow any in smaller then 35' and the fees vary but is common to be 150% of regular slip fees

jephotog 07-23-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Donovan (Post 2051616502)
One thing I wasn't certain about was what happens when you buy a boat in a slip. Does the Marina want you out tomorrow! Or can you negotiate a period in any way. 30-60 days?

I put my name on a slip and the live aboard list.

I know a guy in Oceanside that bought a boat to get the slip, sold the boat and brought his sailboat there. I think that is called grandfathering. Each marina will be different call them to find out. A 40 foot slip will be hard anywhere in Socal, except for maybe the Ventura area. Chula Vista is your best hope for San Diego. A liveaboard may take many years.

If you are looking for a long term liveaboard, you may want to look at a Yacht Club. Many of them have there own marinas and the slips are usually reasonable. There will still be a waiting list but the longterm advantage is all the facilities of a yacht club and cheaper slip fees, it can often be a worthwhile deal.

Bryan Donovan 07-23-2019 02:44 PM

I have heard Oceanside is particularly hard to get a slip. I was going to stop by Harbor Island Yacht club this weekend sometime as well.

jephotog 07-23-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Donovan (Post 2051616564)
I have heard Oceanside is particularly hard to get a slip. I was going to stop by Harbor Island Yacht club this weekend sometime as well.

Harbor Island Yacht Club is not a yacht club it is a sailing membership club they will try to sell you a membership. It is a good way to get into sailing. I went with Seaforth instead back-in-the-day to get back into sailing in SD.

Yacht Clubs with moorage.

San Diego
Southwest
Silver Gate
Coronado
Mission Bay (more of a dinghy club but has slips up to 30 feet. I know someone who put a tabernacle on their Catalina 30 to get into the bay).

Talk to the Marinas at Harbor Island, probably a shorter waiting list. Cabrillo Isle Marina, Harbor Island West. Also look into Mission Bay marinas: Driscolls, etc.