The future of RAN Sailing?! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Re: The future of RAN Sailing?!

I forgot about Wes, the girl and Lola... I watched them for a while. I liked when he started out - "My dinghy is an inner-tube," - but their sloppy seamanship got tiring. I saw where they sold their original boat, bought another, and then it sank.

Another interesting YouTuber was s/v Escape... The guy bought a C&C 36 and set a target of sailing from Marblehead, MA to the Bahamas. He sailed/motored from Marblehead to Port Jefferson with his girlfriend, a buddy and his buddy's dog when the engine quit - "Hey, it only burned a quart of crankcase oil per day." The marina where they had it towed to found them a deal on a used engine and installed it. They then motor/sail the ICW to Stuart, FL and his girlfriend visits a few times. Before they leave Stuart his buddy jumps ship to go work at a bar. He continues on solo to the Bahamas in the company of another boat, where he didn't check in, but was hijaking hotel WiFi. After about two weeks the channel stopped... That was 2 years ago.

THere is good coverage of the ICW and the map animation is great! Here is episode 1 if you want to give it a try;
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I forgot about Wes, the girl and Lola... I watched them for a while. I liked when he started out - "My dinghy is an inner-tube," - but their sloppy seamanship got tiring. I saw where they sold their original boat, bought another, and then it sank.

Another interesting YouTuber was s/v Escape... The guy bought a C&C 36 and set a target of sailing from Marblehead, MA to the Bahamas. He sailed/motored from Marblehead to Port Jefferson with his girlfriend, a buddy and his buddy's dog when the engine quit - "Hey, it only burned a quart of crankcase oil per day." The marina where they had it towed to found them a deal on a used engine and installed it. They then motor/sail the ICW to Stuart, FL and his girlfriend visits a few times. Before they leave Stuart his buddy jumps ship to go work at a bar. He continues on solo to the Bahamas in the company of another boat, where he didn't check in, but was hijaking hotel WiFi. After about two weeks the channel stopped... That was 2 years ago.
I kind of liked Wicked Salty check to see what they are up to. They are back in the Bahamas I think they are better sailors after learning from their newbie mistakes. Took a look at S/V Escape besides the irritating background music it seems like Potheads go sailing. Though it may just be the way kids talk these days. Entertaining in a train wreck sort of way.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #23 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
I also follow Wicket Salty. A young couple on a fixer upper, i.e. not an expensive boat. Real down to earth, not made of money for sure. I like low budget people and older boats as they more align with what I'll be. LaVag became too rich, too many marinas and a baby. All of which dont interest me.
I did follow Ran, still do, but with not much interest.
Britican is now stuck in Caribbean needing money. I think they have a big boat for having run out of money, but charting works for them so far. Wish them luck. Great email and how to from the wife on her blog?
I did like Catalpa, middle age couple with kids. Not interested in kids, but love their low budget, do it yourself sailing. Follow them regularly but going to land to sell boat and move up eventually. If it broke, he fixed it or they did without. Nice.
Delos, yep, great vids. Seems to be not as adventurous as they were in the Indian Ocean.

Gone with the Wynns, my favorite. Pretty much my age (slightly younger), couple w/no kids, on a 43' cat which I also plan to sail, not made of money, does as much repair as possible, love their destinations!
I

La Vag and Delos crew may be getting a little tired after all their travels. Though they had a good run and saw quite a bit of the world. I only get envious when Delos stops for haul outs. Having all that crew to get things done while I'm doing everything myself makes me wish I had some extra hands around to help.

I do like Gone with the Wynns too though the gal cute as she is is sometimes a little too perky for my tastes. The boat looks in great shape though it is starting to require a lot more maintenance from some of the recent videos. They still seem to be enjoying the journey but, got to be hard maintaining things in those out of the way locations. They do show some nice video footage too.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in