The future of RAN Sailing?! - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

The future of RAN Sailing?!

I was sad to see this video posted on YouTube last night.

Not unexpected, but sad all the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: The future of RAN Sailing?!

Why sad?
As I understand it, they are just upgrading to a bigger boat?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Trailer Sailer Moderator

I think they're just upgrading. That's a great boat - I wonder what it'll go for. And you can see the work they did, so you know what you're getting.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22

post #4 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I looked at their website, just for fun, and if I read it correctly they're asking $79k for Ran.
post #5 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshock View Post
I looked at their website, just for fun, and if I read it correctly they're asking $79k for Ran.
Glad to read that. It means that they will be making videos aboard RAN for some time to come!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #6 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I don't know much about boat pricing, but to my unprofessional view that looks like a great deal. Seems like a well-equipped boat for $80k.

RAN for sale

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

They prob want the stork to deliver baby ran in sweden.
Then give a year..ish.
Then a boat with room for help/babysitters.
Wouldnt be surpris3d if they went thru canal again...with new boat.
A caveat would be her ridding seasickness after the stork
post #8 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: the price...

In some European countries it's typical to say $XX or highest offer, meaning that's the absolute lowest they'd accept. They don't say how long they'll keep the bidding open, or what number they're hopeful for. I wonder what they'll end up getting for her.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #9 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago

The vid says they'll be buying a bigger boat, with the baby coming. We'll see. I like watching their adventures. Maybe just a tad too much shore scenes. I prefered to see him rebuild his engine, sail the PNW, etc.

Seems many of the young sailing channels are having or have had babies. LaVagabond, Delos and Ran. There is another Brit/Italian couple, whose channel I'm forgetting, that already has a toddler.

None of the first three seem to have jobs, other than making youtube videos. The unrecalled last, seems mostly coastal and marina liveaboard and give me the impression have day jobs. It will be interesting to see how long the Patreon sponsor bubble lasts, or how long they can maintain interest, before the next fancy comes along. I'm a Delos fan, but not so much a LaVag fan. Delos has recently been more like a scuba channel, with their Drenched crew aboard, and I bore of endless minutes of coral video. Delos historically had an edge up, however, LaVag's subscriptions have exploded since their baby arrived. They are a sailing channel with over a million subscribers now. Seems more like child actor exploitation to me.
capta and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:33 AM.
post #10 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The vid says they'll be buying a bigger boat, with the baby coming. We'll see. I like watching their adventures. Maybe just a tad too much shore scenes. I prefered to see him rebuild his engine, sail the PNW, etc.

Seems many of the young sailing channels are having or have had babies. LaVagabond, Delos and Ran. There is another Brit/Italian couple, whose channel I'm forgetting, that already has a toddler.
I concur. Brian and Kazza of S/V Delos are spending the summer on land with the baby. His brother is supposed to sail Delos to Europe which I suspect will be the base of operations for awhile. Though it will be interesting to see how the dynamics change on board with the baby.

The Vagabond couple are also on land temporarily and appreciating all the conveniences they missed while on board. So maybe their days are numbered but, they have to also keep paying for their boat so might be a little stuck in their ways. Expect more Riley spear fishing videos.

The Brit/Italian couple are Sailing Britaly. Though their videos are becoming more sporadic these days. Got to be tough without full time for editing.

It will be interesting to see if RAN returns after spending time on land with the baby. They did some nice videos.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in