Sailing to me is Tourism! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 07-26-2019

Re: Sailing to me is Tourism!

For sure MOSL, your approach to sailing does seem very appealing.

I would like to figure out a way to trailer sail Europe. Maybe car topping would be easier.

For some reason I have a strong urge to sail Loch Ness. Maybe one of those inflatable catamarans I can check in as oversized luggage.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 07-27-2019

We don’t really need to make up our own definition of tourist. It is defined pretty well in the dictionary as “a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure”. It is broad for a reason. The local economies look at tourism as all of the stuff that is being mentioned above on this thread.

Cruising is tourism, staying at resorts is tourism, living in a B&B for a month is tourism. They may get different priorities but really what do we all want to do when we travel? We want safe accommodations, good food and convenient groceries, shopping and services, interesting places to see sites of importance in the area and meet people who may share the local culture.

How long you stay and what transportation you use to get there is really not a factor. It is the fact that you are going to a place to derive pleasure instead of business that makes you a tourist. I have managed to visit places in just about all the above modes and I love being a tourist. We just need to get the negative connotations out of the definition. :-)
post #23 of 36 Old 07-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
My dad raced.

He never appeared to enjoy it. He was good at it and won the pointscore year in, year out. But it did not feel to me he enjoyed it, though he may have loved it.

He died of stress when he was 65. His work was stressful and racing was stressful.

Wheras I *enjoy* my long passages. I really feel good during and after them. I lust after those wonderful days. But bung me on a race boat and that competitive streak cones out... And I can tell you it's not nice! I'm a Task Orientated, perfectionist, grumpy, inconsiderate, stressed, horrible person who does not enjoy the race. So I don't race any more.

So my version of life is best for me: truly enjoyable sailing to truly enjoyable places to learn about them by being a tourist
Wot he said..... It does not have to be either/or.

Right now, the boat is in Maine and we do a little bit of day sailing between idyllic anchorages (Many identified from previous threads on SN answering questions about the best places in Maine). This has been just as much fun as passages across oceans and the solitude of enormous stars in unpolluted skies. Variety is the other important ingredient.

post #24 of 36 Old 07-27-2019
Old soul

I wonder… how long does it take before you’re not a tourist? How long does one have to stay in one place? If I move to somewhere because I like it there (i.e. for pleasure), is that tourism? And for those who call the boat home, are we ever tourists?

Circles within circles...

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 36 Old 07-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I wonder… how long does it take before you’re not a tourist? How long does one have to stay in one place? If I move to somewhere because I like it there (i.e. for pleasure), is that tourism? And for those who call the boat home, are we ever tourists?

Circles within circles...
For me, I think it's hard for a sailor to ever not be a tourist. You stop being a tourist when you no longer have a "place" to go back to; when you are committed to investing in where you are without planning on moving on when times get tough. Not to say I don't try my hardest to find the local market and line up for my baguette with the rest of the community, but traveller (as I pompously like to call myself) is just a different grade of tourist.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 36 Old 07-27-2019

Think the locals in the Caribbean still divide folks into locals, tourists, expats, and cruisers. Prices for just about everything vary by which group they consider you to be in as does your ability to bargain about price.
Have learned to wait behind a local and pay attention. Often results in significant savings when I get the same price as a local.
Have asked locals how they know a cruiser is a cruiser. They say it’s obvious we aren’t tourists by our dress (particularly what’s on our feet and hats), our demeanor, our tan, and our tendency to smooze with them or bargain.
So from what I can gather the locals don’t consider us tourists.
Know a fair number of non boat people who have a home in the Caribbean. They are there for pleasure. Most I know also divide their year between country of origin and their second house. Neither they themselves nor the locals consider them tourists. Only variance from boat people is the second property is a boat. Are boat people tourists?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #27 of 36 Old 07-27-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
For me, I think it's hard for a sailor to ever not be a tourist. You stop being a tourist when you no longer have a "place" to go back to; when you are committed to investing in where you are without planning on moving on when times get tough. Not to say I don't try my hardest to find the local market and line up for my baguette with the rest of the community, but traveller (as I pompously like to call myself) is just a different grade of tourist.
It’s an interesting question — not really answerable mind you, but interesting…

I’ve moved around a bit in my life — not nearly as much as some, but more than many. I never really know how to respond to the question: Where are you from? “I dunno … I’m ‘from’ many places.” I’ve also called many different places home.

This is how I view our cruising life so far. We travel to a location, and then stay for years at a time. We get to know the place and the people such that we really aren’t visitors; certainly not tourists in any sense of the word I understand. We become part of the community. But we’re also not ‘from’ these places either. In the parlance of Newfoundlanders, we’re “come from aways.”

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #28 of 36 Old 07-27-2019

Doh. Slaps forehead.

Tourism in Australian means finding girls. I take it back. Yes, sailing is tourism.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 36 Old 07-27-2019

Yup that’s the problem. The rest of us want women. .

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #30 of 36 Old 07-27-2019

Unfortunately sailing these days is mostly about repairing things. If I were cruising I would be sailing AND repairing... but having a permanent mooring and lousy weather and other conflicts I have been unable to sail enough. I am going sailing tomorrow... I hope I haven't forgotten how.
MikeOReilly and MarkofSeaLife like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in