What it cost to Sail for One Year - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 08-29-2019 Thread Starter

Re: What it cost to Sail for One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Figured I'd watch it, even though I dislike these recaps. Standard of living is a fairly subjective thing. Food, entertainment, inland travel, clothing, etc, etc, all highly variable.

I noted there was no expenditure on insurance: boat, liability or health.

Also noted there was no expenses for traveling home, when out cruising.

I know a guy who told me his boat cost him $600 per sail this year. As soon as I hear that, I know the shine is off the apple. The numerator can be added up. The denominator for me is not the number of sails, it's not even quantifiable. The memories, the joy, the anticipation of the coming cruise, the attraction for family, the mental and physical immersion........ it's all invaluable.
Good point on the insurance expense might add another $1 to $2K to his expense. Maybe less since he does not have an engine. Has no need to travel to see the grand kids. Seems to be a pretty cautious sailor. Does his annual haul outs in the peak months for hurricanes. Smart.

Fellow is an admitted frugal guy. Worked in the financial industry in Chicago and Texas. Saved his money, lived simply and has mutual funds providing on going income.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 08-29-2019

Sailing solo, the only insurance he would carry..if he has any..would be general liability. Thats just over $100 yr.
An assumption....
Arcb likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-29-2019

How about health insurance.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-29-2019

Maybe hes a vet...who knows
post #15 of 18 Old 09-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I always get a kick out of the how much does it cost to sail/cruise threads. Usually the answer is whatever your budget is.

Adjust life style to fit available resources. The fact that their is a boat involved is almost a red herring.

My boat this year has cost about $100 in halyards and blocks, $50 in conservation area fees $99 in moorage fees, about $12 in stove alcohol, maybe $10 in aa/aaa batteries and about $1 in gas because my POS honda outboard won't run for more than about 5 minutes at a time.

Pretty cheap hobby if you want it to be.
Agreed. Anyone who’s owned a boat and used it kinda knows that it’s not a static expense in any way. The boat will need repairs. You will want to upgrade and improve things. It’s not like a car where you buy it, change the oil every three months and just drive it.

There is SO much truth to the statement: how much does it cost to cruise? As much as you have.

I currently have no running water, minimal electronics and sail almost everywhere. Stay in marinas maybe 6-7 days a month. My budget for the boat? Every penny of $2500 a month. Why? Upgrading and repairing as I go. Beyond the $2500? About $600 on “me” and “things for me”. Throw in another grand for the “emergency fund” and you can see how things add up. And I’ve actually got a pretty nice boat that functions and sails well. And I’m a retired veteran so health coverage isn’t factored into that.

Eventually will the $2500 boat budget start to have surplus every month? Hopefully. Once I’m done upgrading, repairing everything that breaks when you sail 24 hours a day, fixing the stuff that’s been broken for some time and I’m ignoring ect....I’d imagine it’ll cost around $1k to $1500 per month to live this way. But then again, I drink premium and eat well......
GLausin likes this.

SV Salinity
post #16 of 18 Old 09-07-2019

I think lifestyle and location are huge variables. I'm sure many of the world travelers out there can attest that living a modest lifestyle in Mexico vs Med or Europe vs south Pacific will be significantly different. Also, if you are visiting many different island nations, those costs will vary as opposed to staying in a single area.

But I can appreciate the intent of this video, it certainly answers the question, albeit on the minimal end of the scale.
mbianka likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-07-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLausin View Post
I think lifestyle and location are huge variables. I'm sure many of the world travelers out there can attest that living a modest lifestyle in Mexico vs Med or Europe vs south Pacific will be significantly different. Also, if you are visiting many different island nations, those costs will vary as opposed to staying in a single area.

But I can appreciate the intent of this video, it certainly answers the question, albeit on the minimal end of the scale.
Also we need to remember he does not have an engine in the boat and always anchors out. Plus being a solo sailor has less provision expenses and little pressure to pull into marinas.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #18 of 18 Old 09-08-2019
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I always get a kick out of the how much does it cost to sail/cruise threads. Usually the answer is whatever your budget is.

Adjust life style to fit available resources. The fact that their is a boat involved is almost a red herring.

My boat this year has cost about $100 in halyards and blocks, $50 in conservation area fees $99 in moorage fees, about $12 in stove alcohol, maybe $10 in aa/aaa batteries and about $1 in gas because my POS honda outboard won't run for more than about 5 minutes at a time.

Pretty cheap hobby if you want it to be.
And some guy with an old laser is shocked by how much you spent.
Arcb likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in