Through the Panama Canal to Texas 2020-2021 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 10-14-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Through the Panama Canal to Texas 2020-2021

Hi Stuart, wish we were able to make the Baja HaHa and meet up with you guys but won't make it this year-- we've just bought a 46 Peterson Formosa and have some work to do--this is the boat we plan to take through the Panama. We're familiar with the Baja Haha but not the Panama Posse--sounds like a group we need to meet. I have so many questions, most of them probably not the right ones, I don't know where to begin. Like provisioning and what is a realistic, ballpark figure of the cost to make the trip. Do we need to buy disposable cell phones from each port to avoid extreme roaming charges? How many ports do you make going down to Panama? And, how many days past the last port in the Gulf to the Texas coast? Pirates. My elderly dad is scared we're going to be captured by pirates and held for ransom and want all his money. Seriously, he reads about the drug cartel on the Caribbean side of the Panama and thinks it's not safe. I've read different sides of the "carry a gun on board or not carry a gun on board." So, I'm all over the place. We first need to get this boat put back together and outfit with the electronics needed. But, we are going to make this trip. May have to keep it a secret from dad until we land in Texas! Any and all insights and advice will be graciously received. Fair winds to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 10-14-2019
Master Mariner

Since you can't carry firearms and the "pirates" can, I don't see how travelling with a few other boats, especially under sail, is going to do much more than attract more attention. I sure wouldn't want to be sailing with a few other boats at night, especially if you were worried enough about being seen that you might want to run un-lit?
It might work to meet up in various anchorages, but each of us sail at different speeds and weather changes, so all meeting up as agreed can be problematic.
I doubt there's any way to get a worried family member to stop, but really, you can't live your dreams within the confines of someone else's fear, can you?
I think the piracy thing is so blown out of proportion, at least here in the Eastern Caribbean, it's hardly worth a side note in voyage planning. If you think it unsafe to go somewhere, then just by-pass it, group or no group.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 16 Old 10-15-2019

Think having folks group up and convoy for the jump from Grenada to Trinidad has helped. The authorities even encourage it. Several of our friends do it this way staying well east of the rhumb line. Now a days the cruising net out of the southern Grenada bays helps hook people together.
Still wise to save all your cheap worn out poly in a large bag and buy some if necessary. Have heard first hand stories it’s effective.

Have a professional captain friend deliver a brand new very large bene from SF to BVI. Says it was the worst trip ever. So hard on the boat tens of thousands in refit. Says going Caribbean to pacific is easy but going east is way hard.
TheHarpers likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 16 Old 10-24-2019

"Have a professional captain friend deliver a brand new very large bene from SF to BVI. Says it was the worst trip ever. So hard on the boat tens of thousands in refit. Says going Caribbean to pacific is easy but going east is way hard."[/QUOTE]

Panama to BVI....nearly impossible, so hard on the wind, current pushing west, will beat up the best of boats, if they can make it at all. Far easier heading off towards Jamaica, as mentioned above, or Belize.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-25-2019

We are leaving for Panama from San Diego and are headed for Cayman Islands. Has anyone made this trip?
post #16 of 16 Old 10-25-2019

If you havent been there before, think about doing some of the sea of cortez along the way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in