Dehumidifiers - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Unread 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Owner 1973 C-41 Sloop

Send a message via AIM to riggy001 Send a message via Yahoo to riggy001
Dehumidifiers

I am looking for a dehumidifier for a 1973 Columbia 41 Motorsailer. I want one that is self-draining and resets itself upon power loss. Any suggestions? I will put it over the galley sink to drain. Mildew is the problem. The interior space is 639 square feet.

Last edited by riggy001; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Unread 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Dehumidifiers

The cheap one that I have (about $45 on Amazon) will turn itself back on if the power goes off and then on. Might be able to just drill a hole in the plastic water trap and then stick a drain tube in. It's pretty much this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Breeze-El...ateway&sr=8-14

Last edited by danvon; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:10 AM. Reason: found link to product.
post #3 of 21 Unread 4 Weeks Ago

The last time I bought one many years ago, it did all these things. Found it at home depot. You pulled the tray out and the interior funnel that directed condensation to the tray had a male garden hose thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 21 Unread 3 Weeks Ago
Cruiser

We rely on the newer, non-compressor dehumidifier technology. We have two of these, and have heard nothing but positive feedback from others with the same model. It has all the features/capabilities you mention.

More details- including pros and cons- are available on our page about dehumidifiers.

Note: I see the models we have are currently unavailable on Amazon. [Although a boat friend just received two purchased ~2 weeks ago...]

You may be able to find it elsewhere if in a hurry... Or their model with a built-in ionizer may be just as quiet and effective... but I have no first hand experience with the ionizer model...

Cheers! Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Does it freeze where you are? The type I posted the link to tend to ice over and stop working in freezing temps.
post #6 of 21 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
Does it freeze where you are? The type I posted the link to tend to ice over and stop working in freezing temps.
I'm not familiar with any that won't freeze in low temperatures. Long before freezing air temps. The good news is that freezing air temps won't hold much moisture in the first place.

The thought of it freezing over made me wonder what the OP intends to do. Is this for when aboard or for long term storage. The later is always a fire risk.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 21 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not familiar with any that won't freeze in low temperatures. Long before freezing air temps. The good news is that freezing air temps won't hold much moisture in the first place.

The thought of it freezing over made me wonder what the OP intends to do. Is this for when aboard or for long term storage. The later is always a fire risk.
Fire risk is why I run a dehumidifier to try & keep the boat dry inside rather than a heater. Makes me nuts when I see boats all up and down the dock leaving electrical heaters running 24/7. I think (hope I am right?) that the low current draw and lack of a resistance heat element in a dehumidifier has to be safer.
post #8 of 21 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

I suspect short circuits and overheated boat or shore wiring causes most fires, not necessarily the heating element or the device itself catching fire.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #9 of 21 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Canberra Gel helps with mold and mildew

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 21 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

If you have forced air heat with a well insulated (cored?) hull you'll limit humidity and condensation. I use a product I bought on Amazon which absorbs odors and moisture.

Humidity is mostly a summer problem for us as we are not on board much in the winter. In shoulder seasons we DO find moisture on alum hatch and port frames in the morning when we sleep aboard. Air however feels dry. I will check the humidity one of these days.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in